User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Logs

I have a ??
Are there limits to who can request to see your log book? More specifically can a dispatcher demand to see your log book?

THanks for the help
Old 05-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Board Icon
Default Re: Logs

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes2448
I have a ??
Are there limits to who can request to see your log book? More specifically can a dispatcher demand to see your log book?

THanks for the help
You can refuse to let your dispatcher see your log book. You can then likely find yourself another job when they fire you for doing it.

If your company policy is that you must show your log book to dispatchers, then you must comply with that policy if you want to remain employed.

My question for you is: Why don't you want your dispatcher to see your log book? After all, he or she is responsible for keeping you moving, and making sure you have the hours available to do the work they are giving you. You should be thanking your dispatcher that he or she cares enough to even bother to look at your logbook. Many dispatchers don't give a crap whether they are running you illegal or not.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Rookie

Theres nothing wrong with my logs. Have nothing to hide. Logs arent the issue. more to the circumstances of why i ask is all
bad day as it was then got into an accident, returned to terminal to call safety at that point decided to shut it down for the nite and start fresh in the AM dispatcher told me no i couldnt and needed to go pick up a load that was to deliver by 6 am to which i would not have the hours to do it in and demanded to see my log book.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:00 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
needed to go pick up a load that was to deliver by 6 am to which i would not have the hours to do it in and demanded to see my log book.
Then show him. :?

I don't get that it would be a big deal. Even if you had the hours, but felt you could not do it safely, tell him and if he gives you a hard time, inform safety about it.

But as far as your dispatcher asking to see your log books, there is no law regarding it. This is your employer...they have every right to see it.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Board Regular

Don't you turn your logs in? We have to turn them in no more than 13 days, so he has access to them anyway. I have no problem showing anyone my logs they can CYA at times as well as long as they are kept up the right way.

I got d.o.t'd in Vt. by a trooper and when he saw my logs were in order and neat, I was on my was with in minutes with out an inspection. Just my .02
Old 05-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Rookie

i think everyone is under the impression that i have something to hide because i didnt want to show him my logs... not the case. Logs are in order and I run by the book...i asked if a dispatcher has the right to demand to see them because i make a conscious decision to not accept a load and he gets pissed at me and demands to see them...dispatcher trying to force a load is more the issue and whether he has the authority to act in such a way

thanks
for everyones input
Old 05-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
i asked if a dispatcher has the right to demand to see them because i make a conscious decision to not accept a load and he gets pissed at me and demands to see them...dispatcher trying to force a load is more the issue and whether he has the authority to act in such a way
Of course he does. He is a representative of your employer. Contrary to popular belief, you do not have the freedom that you probably think you do as a company truck driver.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Theres nothing wrong with my logs. Have nothing to hide. Logs arent the issue. more to the circumstances of why i ask is all
bad day as it was then got into an accident, returned to terminal to call safety at that point decided to shut it down for the nite and start fresh in the AM dispatcher told me no i couldnt and needed to go pick up a load that was to deliver by 6 am to which i would not have the hours to do it in and demanded to see my log book.
Given the "circumstances".....I would have dropped the logbook on his desk and said "Read it and weep".... I'm not going anywhere til my 10 hr break is over with! 8)

He/she just wanted to see it to make sure you weren't trying to pull one over on them....like many try to do.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:35 AM
Senior Board Member

I would agree with that. Your 'travel agent' just wanted to see if you were trying to pull one over on them and not work. There are a lot of 'gold bricks' that don't want to work.

I would just do like was stated already.... just toss it on the desk and tell them to enjoy wasting their time.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead
I would agree with that. Your 'travel agent' just wanted to see if you were trying to pull one over on them and not work. There are a lot of 'gold bricks' that don't want to work.

I would just do like was stated already.... just toss it on the desk and tell them to enjoy wasting their time.
My travel agent doesn't even know what a log book looks like. But, our Safety Director did sit in a truck ONE time.