User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The cut down to 62 mph is getting closer. Dan keeps sending out emails about other companies that are announcing cutting their speed down to 62. I guess this is to tell us that this is becoming normal so that we don't complain too much when they cut us down.

Dan also informed us that they are going to put APUs in 20 new trucks they are getting in. But, they will be cutting the speed on those trucks down to 62.

These people just do not realize how hazardous it is with a top speed of 62 mph. 4-wheelers do not magically get out of our way when we need to change lanes. Matter of fact, there are times when people who have been behind us for miles, suddenly decide to pass us once we put our turn signal on. And that is at 66 mph. Changing lanes is hazardous at that speed. More people will pass you and then cut across in front (too close) in order to get to an exit ramp (have noticed more and more trucks doing this lately also).

Had to change lanes quickly the other day because of a car suddenly coming off the shoulder. SUV in the left lane was about 1 1/2 - 2 truck lengths behind me. Once I got back in the other lane, he cut in front of me and hit his brakes hard. Expect more of this behavior when at 62 mph.

Can't see how they expect cutting the speed to work out. Some of their runs are tight on time now. A Memphis to Baltimore run of 680+ miles takes 11 1/2 - 12 hours depending on the weight of the load. They expect you to maintain a 63 mph speed (governed at 66) but forget that the hills in eastern Tennessee and in Virginia slow the trucks down (my truck is lousy at hills). Of course, you are expected to log that trip at 11 hours. If you start asking to split the load, you start getting mostly 175-250 mile days (their punishment for running legal).

Too many companies are looking at cutting down the governed speed instead of looking at APUs or other forms of idle reduction (other than complaining to the drivers about idle time).
Old 06-05-2008, 05:00 AM
Rookie

Good Luck with it all....I finally had all the sitting around i could deal with last week and drove the truck from Toledo back to its home at Washington Courthouse. caught a taxi to Chillicothe and grabbed the greydog home. My last few months have just been beyond terrible and I just couldnt justify being gone for the pay i was taking home. Barr Nunn was a real good company for me for a good while but they are really going down hill in a lot of big ways. Good luck with it, I hope they keep you rolling.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:47 PM

You won't be the only one leaving. I will be leaving at the end of June. I'll take a couple of weeks off and hopefully should be starting with Conway Truckload after that.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKELE
You won't be the only one leaving. I will be leaving at the end of June. I'll take a couple of weeks off and hopefully should be starting with Conway Truckload after that.

good luck with that, I think you will do much better there!