User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 12:59 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Approaching a company

So yes, I will be attempting to shoot for the moon once I get my CDL and try to get with a company I can stay with for a looooooong time. Once again I would like Superior Carriers, Hartt or LJ. I dont want to "do my time" to get with a good company if I can avoid it.

I feel Im a very valuable employee, Im hard working, dedicated, always striving to exceed my own high expectations, non-job hopper etc...

Now my questions is: What/how is the most respectable way to approach a company and make an impression? Should I make an appointment or whatnot with a TM at each company and go in personally rather then just calling or filling out an application? Im 25 and I want this to be my life career. Professional Driver.

Recruiters, any tips? I appreciate any input.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:20 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Approaching

"I'm 25 and I want this to be my life career. Professional Driver." REALLY! And what happens when your body can't hack it any longer? Got a Plan B? BOL
Old 04-29-2008, 01:32 AM
Default Re: Approaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealord
"I'm 25 and I want this to be my life career. Professional Driver." REALLY! And what happens when your body can't hack it any longer? Got a Plan B? BOL
I cant tell you what will happen down the road 20 years, maybe Ill win the lottery. Who knows?!

Thanks for your awesome input though :roll:
Old 04-29-2008, 03:02 AM
Default Re: Approaching a company

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDCavi
So yes, I will be attempting to shoot for the moon once I get my CDL and try to get with a company I can stay with for a looooooong time. Once again I would like Superior Carriers, Hartt or LJ. I dont want to "do my time" to get with a good company if I can avoid it.

I feel Im a very valuable employee, Im hard working, dedicated, always striving to exceed my own high expectations, non-job hopper etc...

Now my questions is: What/how is the most respectable way to approach a company and make an impression? Should I make an appointment or whatnot with a TM at each company and go in personally rather then just calling or filling out an application? Im 25 and I want this to be my life career. Professional Driver.

Recruiters, any tips? I appreciate any input.
I'm also 25 and if God allows it, I plan on being a driver for the rest of my working life. I think it is a great profession and with an honest days work you can actually make a comfortable living, as long as you "act your wage"

The vast majority of the good companys have drivers that have been there 10,15, 25 years. Most do not have very many drivers our age. One being that it takes a lot of maturity and respect to operate a 80k rig and most people our age don't quite have that level of maturity. With that being said the good companys WANT to attract people our age to stay and hopefully retire with them. Because in the end it is a whole lot less headaches for everyone if you have someone on the job who knows what he or she is doing and keeps everyone safe around them. There is not a whole lot of "trial and error" with driving because the error usually costs a whole lot of time, money and tickets.

You seem like you know what you want and how to get there. You want to make a good impression and land one of the jobs that most of the people in the truck stops WISH, or Dream they had. 8)

I know with us here at Superior you can call ANY of the terminals and the TM would be happy to talk with you and tell you exactly what he or she expects of you before you are hired. I can tell you that with no experience that it will be a little more challenging getting on with us because we only hire Professional Drivers. You will either be weeded out by the TM or the school EVERYONE has to attend in Kingsport TN. "We want drivers dedicated to quality performance...skilled professionals who would like a career, not just a job. We're looking for people with genuine interest in the bulk distribution industry - drivers who will go the extra mile with customers and find new ways to improve service. We tend to hire people who can work well as part of a team, and have fun doing it." That was a quote taken from our website and I can say 100% they mean it.

I think to even qualify for Superior with no experience you have to graduate in the to 3% of your PTDI school. Whomever you choose though you are gonna have to make a very good impression to land one of these jobs with zero experience, but you are defiantly on the right track with your approach.

Good luck to ya.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:15 PM

Thanks a lot for the info and your view. I am very mature for my age. I have a goal oriented mind set. I also understand its very hard to get a shot with a good company with zero experiance. :cry: I just need that one shot to prove who I am, and what I can and am willing to do. Worse comes to worse Ill do my time and go back with experiance.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Senior Board Member

Whichever company you are looking at, give them the same "anal" exam they are giving you. Try to find out their primary customer base, how they are financially, and ask as many drivers who are with them their overall opinion. Regarding customer base, good carriers have good contracts with good shippers/receivers. If a carrier is playing the broker game, the driver usually suffers. Especially in this economy. Equipment turnover rate is usually a good indication of financials, but not always. Sit time is a good indicator. A good carrier that is interested in doing things right will hardly ever let a driver sit for any length of time. Why sit around when away from home? See about how their load preplan percentage is. A good carrier will have virtually 80% of trucks that are delivering the next day, booked for the next load before ops people go home the night before.

A good carrier will be forthcoming with this information. If not, you might want to take a look elsewhere. My previous carrier had no problem doing these things, nor does my current carrier have any problem giving you this information. Probably because they do it and not just talk about it. Ask to talk to various department leaders in the company to get a feel for the outfit. A good carrier will have good people running the various departments and they will welcome legitimate inquiries. If you feel the cold shoulder from any group leader, then take caution.

Look out for all the fine print regarding any bonuses they offer. A good carrier's bonus program will be a straightforward 1 sentance type of deal. Too many carriers offer bonuses, but later you find out that a million other conditions had to be met to be eligible.

Simplicity is the rule.... Straightforward answers to questions or I look elsewhere. Even in this economy, drivers are in demand and good companies will kill for the best drivers. Don't be afraid to negotiate terms on pay package. I never settle for the "one size fits all". I may not get all I want and may have to concede in one area to gain in another. But it pays off in the long run. With my present carrier, I was able to negotiate the top of the pay scale, home weekly, and a few other goodies and have averaged over 35K miles a quarter, been home for weekends, holidays, and family events.

When you can find a company that can jump through all these hoops, then sign up. Your odds at staying there and being content are far greater. You may have to give up something you want initially, but make sure that options are there in the future. If you have a great work ethic, are safe, and damned reliable, you will have a host of companies that will take you on. Especially the smaller, regional carriers.

Good Luck!