User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default schnieder

can anyone tell me about schnieder,i have been driving since 2003 but ive been off the road for eight months,i might have a chance to go with them im just a little nervous ive heard good things about them but theres a couple thing i read that have me wondering.in one post it says if you fail your road test they send you packing im not so wrried about passing its just i get nervous when people sit their next to me taking notes .they do have advanced training which id be willing to do if they thaught i needed it.also i already have my class A with a all endorsments ive been driving for four years i also hear if you flunk the road test you have to take there whole driver class and then you owe them a loan payment im not willing to pay for something i already paid to do in 2003.i read some posts hear and they sound good im just hoping i can find a company that will understand ive been off the road for eight months and let me warm up in the yard few a minute to get comfortable with them and the vehicle and to realize i have been out of it for a little while and work with me i just dont want to arrive at a company and end up getting sent home for missing one to many gears or grinding a gear .its important that whatever company i go to it works out . due to i have some accidents on my liscence.and it has been hard finding a job. two of the the accidents wont be off my liscence til april 2009.thanks for any advice jimbo63
Old 04-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Default Re: schnieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo63
can anyone tell me about schnieder,i have been driving since 2003 but ive been off the road for eight months,i might have a chance to go with them im just a little nervous ive heard good things about them but theres a couple thing i read that have me wondering.in one post it says if you fail your road test they send you packing im not so wrried about passing its just i get nervous when people sit their next to me taking notes .they do have advanced training which id be willing to do if they thaught i needed it.also i already have my class A with a all endorsments ive been driving for four years i also hear if you flunk the road test you have to take there whole driver class and then you owe them a loan payment im not willing to pay for something i already paid to do in 2003.i read some posts hear and they sound good im just hoping i can find a company that will understand ive been off the road for eight months and let me warm up in the yard few a minute to get comfortable with them and the vehicle and to realize i have been out of it for a little while and work with me i just dont want to arrive at a company and end up getting sent home for missing one to many gears or grinding a gear .its important that whatever company i go to it works out . due to i have some accidents on my liscence.and it has been hard finding a job. two of the the accidents wont be off my liscence til april 2009.thanks for any advice jimbo63
If you are the type that buckles under pressure easily perhaps truck driving is not for you. Perhaps you should try working at Blockbuster or something.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Board Regular

Click on Search at top of page. Type in "Schneider". Happy reading. There has been a lot written.

No one is going to fail you for grinding a gear. Even those who have driven for some time miss a gear from time to time and grind. It's just if you grind and grind and grind for each and every gear is when a evaluator get worried about your skills. When taking a road test advice is don't float gears even if you do it regularly. Most evaluators want to see proper clutching. You have driven before. Once in the seat it will all come back to you. You have expeience...let your experience carry you through this. Schneider is use to students taking their test. You will not be under a different set of rules than a new driver fresh out of school. Basically can you handle the truck safely and abide by the rule of the road?

I am in same boat with you. I have been off for just 3 months and will be taking a road test down in LA the first of May with JB Hunt. Am I nervous?...hell yes!! I am just going to drive safely like I would do if I was out alone in the truck in a big city :shock: . I surived a road test with Roehl coming fresh out of school and really didn't have shifting down or really good truck/trailer placement at all. Took a 2nd test after my 4 weeks with a trainer and they handed me keys to a truck and sent me out with a load. I know that I will probably miss a shift on this upcoming road test simply because I don't know the truck's quirks and sweet spots for shifting. However the important thing is to recover quickly and get the proper gear and move on down the road.

I plan on asking them if I can drive a few laps around the yard before heading out onto the street. I would be a fool not to at least ask. Believe me I will be doing a few slow laps around the yard before I head out with the truck they assign me to get a feel of how it moves and shifts. As long as you show safe driving skills and can handle the truck you will be ok with any carrier.

If you have a few accidents on your report, learn from it. Try to figure out what happened in each case. Adjust your driving skills to prevent the situation from happening again. If you need remedial training then take it. It just might help you figure out where your weak spots are in your game. Don't let your ego get in the way of becoming a better professional driver. I've taken skid pad two times. Would I do skid pad again? Sign me up. I am willing to take any and all training that a company would offer me even if I had to do a bit of a pay back. Learn where it is safe to learn skills...not out on the road where it might cost someone their life.

Wish you the best.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Rookie
Default hey whammo

hey wammo why dont you come up into my neck of the woods and see who gets a whammo keep your stupid ss comments to yourself.ive been driving for four years and im not worried about passing what im worried about is getting to orientation and having to go for a road test with someone whos in a pissy mood fail me for something stupid and send me packing.im just asking about what i read in another post.that stated if you had problems with anything they send you packing i was wondering if they were the kind of company that would work with someone if they needed a few days to get back in the groove.and im not the block buster type but i will tell you what i used to do for a living for about 13 years. i was a hazmat tech first responder i got tired of cleaning spills that were coused by truckers that didnt have enough brains to slow down on the highway so i figured i might as well be one of them. this isnt meant for every trucker on here just for tfdh that has to answer my post with a ahole attitude.thank for nothing whammo
Old 04-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Senior Board Member

jimbo, been there and done it with SNI, I hadn't been in a truck for a while and had min. exp. SNI put me thur a 2 week course(If I remember right) then tested me and on the way I went did go out with a trainer in his truck but after 3 days he dropped me at terminal took another test and got my truck. The 2 weeks consisted of a lot of backing and road driveing with some classroom. I did learn a lot, others left early?? and some were still there after I got my own truck and left out. They must make allowences for a person's skill level. Give them a try you already have a cdl so you won't have to sign a contract at least I didn't
BTY relax we have a few #***#@ on here that like to pull your chain just ignore em
GOOD LUCK
Old 04-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Rookie
Default thanks

thanks repete the only reason i started this post is becouse i read some posts on this site they said they send you packing for numerous things and i just didnt want to waste their time or mine.and the post before yours i wasnt trying to disrespect any drivers but im kind of a cocky when people want to disrespect me like whammo did i dont buckle under pressure but in four years i seen alot of bull from companies and i just want to make the right choice.i dont have a lot of faith in what reqruiters tell me so i try to find info in these forums.and then i ask questions .i dont mind constructive critisism but im not on this site so someone can tell me to go work at block busters.thanks again
Old 04-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Default Re: hey whammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo63
hey wammo why dont you come up into my neck of the woods and see who gets a whammo keep your stupid ss comments to yourself.ive been driving for four years and im not worried about passing what im worried about is getting to orientation and having to go for a road test with someone whos in a pissy mood fail me for something stupid and send me packing.im just asking about what i read in another post.that stated if you had problems with anything they send you packing i was wondering if they were the kind of company that would work with someone if they needed a few days to get back in the groove.and im not the block buster type but i will tell you what i used to do for a living for about 13 years. i was a hazmat tech first responder i got tired of cleaning spills that were coused by truckers that didnt have enough brains to slow down on the highway so i figured i might as well be one of them. this isnt meant for every trucker on here just for tfdh that has to answer my post with a ahole attitude.thank for nothing whammo
Just wear your Depends and take the test. If the test giver is in a pissy mood offer him a back rub
Old 04-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Rookie

Schneider is picky about safety records, guess it depends how bad your accidents were. Good news is that they're only hiring experienced drivers now, no noobs anymore. They are a solid company. Fleet turned down to 60 soon from what I hear.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Board Regular

Interesting...just checked out Schneider's web site. They are still offering their school and also training for those who got their CDLs from another school. Now I know that JB Hunt is not accepting anyone with less than 3 months experience. They quit the training.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:23 AM
Board Regular

They have that fitness thing you gotta do, like lifting weights an walkin around. The test drive is like 15min long and they say you have to double clutch but i floated gears an they didnt say anything. Been with them for a year and half now with now problems. I think they wont except anything over 2 preventables an 2 tickets. And yes as of last wed. they sent a fleet message saying they are turning the trucks down to 63 and cruise control set at 60.