User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Pre work Screen..etc.

Do the majority of trucking Co. require you to pass a pre work screen like Schneider, and Swift do. I know it is not hard to get an increase in your heart rate, and you can do it in many different ways, and not be aware of it. The physical part of the pre work screen seems pretty simple. It is being able to keep your heart rate down that worries alot of folks.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:17 PM

Ok 1 tip: on the day you get the physical: DO NOT drink coffee or smoke until after you're done; this makes a huge difference.
At our company they wouldn't even let you do this until after physical was done.

And yes, all companies I know of will do a back ground check and a physical, check your DMV and DAC. The physical (which that seems to me you're most worried about) is mandatory by law as you need a medical card with your papers in case DOT/law enforcement asks for it. You cannot drive without the medical papers as its the law. BOL to ya!
Old 04-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Rookie
Default Re: Pre work Screen..etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamalu
Do the majority of trucking Co. require you to pass a pre work screen like Schneider, and Swift do. I know it is not hard to get an increase in your heart rate, and you can do it in many different ways, and not be aware of it. The physical part of the pre work screen seems pretty simple. It is being able to keep your heart rate down that worries alot of folks.
Your heart rate really isn't an issue in itself, only if the doctor hears murmors. As far as a "pre-work screen" or whatever buzz word a company has for it, everyone is a little different. Every motor carrier is required to evaluate you based on the dot regulations such as blood pressure, glucose levels, vision, hearing, etc. What tends to stop some drivers in their tracks are the things you won't find in the FMCSR handbook. Most drivers don't realize that there is vast list of recommendations that physician panels submit to the dot. They will deal with specific medical conditions such as pulmonary, medications, etc. How much a carrier will let you get by with is up to the doctor performing that physical. They are given a great deal of levity in their decisions to qualify you or not. Something else that is looked for in the physical is any physical limitations you may have that would make you unsuitable to perform the basic job functions of that carrier. If it is van company they may look for things such as squatting, pulling, etc. A flatbed carrier that tends to be a little more physical might look for upper body strength allowing you to pull yourself up on a load or lift a tarp, hernias, etc. As a general rule if you consider yourself to be in decent health (no high bp, diabetes, no medications other than simple things, have no physical limitations, etc) then you probably won't have much to worry about. You just really can't tell ahead of time about many things until you take that first, second, or third physical. Hope that helps some.