User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 02:37 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default good knight

I have been with Knight for 6 months now. I must say that when I need to get home, they get me home. Non-forced dispatch is great - but in the last 10 days, I have had one run that has been over 400 miles. Last week I only had 2000 miles, and I stay out 3 weeks at a time. Knight Transpoirtation is king of the short haul and when you get into a terminal, if you do not have an empty trailor, you must deliver a local run to get one. YOu will then have to fight for weeks to get paid for that run. They give you a lot of lip service = tell you that you will get paid but the money never comes thru. There are things that I like about Knight but the bottom line is that I am not making enough money to support my family so I must seek other employment if this situation does not improve.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:51 AM
Senior Board Member

I can tell you where the problem most likely is when it comes to getting that extra pay like the local pay and other things that you do not put in for yourself over the QC like detention.

I would be willing to bet your dispatcher is not entering it into the computer like s/he is suppose to before the load is delivered. I never had that problem at Knight but I know several drivers on other fleets that did.

Before putting in your empty call make sure your FM has entered in all relevent extra pay such as local, driver unload, etc and have them send you the confirmation over the QC. If they do not put it in, and do it at that time it can be a real PITA to get the money.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:54 AM
Senior Board Member

You may also want to get your terminal manager, terminal payroll rep and the terminal operations manager together all at the same time and let them know what problems you are having.

I do not know which terminal you are based out of, but the way Knight is set up Phoenix pretty much just does what the terminal tell them to do and going through them, unless based there, is just a ticket to the run around. Most problems begin at the terminal and really can only be resolved there.

Hope all this helps.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:58 PM

I was with Knight twice, the first time was great.. My little ole slow trk got miles.. and i was home on weekends. I had to leave for a local driving job and went back after 14 months. And stayed there 8 months, it seemed they did the freight that swift didnt want, short hauls... And more and more terminals were opening.. Over all it is a friendley comapny to work. But like most of us where out there for the buck.. I havent worked for heartland but have thought about them if i ever decide to run regional. That is what knight is regional they may give you a long pull but when u get to the final, u will pull short ones.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Senior Board Member

I think freight sux everywhere...I only jump above 2200ish

about once every 2 months meself

May have to go on food stamps soon :x
Old 05-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Board Regular

It's a shame that a driver has to hold the hand of management and do the thinking for them in order to get paid correctly.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:04 AM
Senior Board Member

It's just like working for any other company. If you don't communicate they can't read your mind.

I made pleanty of money last year with Knight and YES I did alot of short stuff, but it's better than sitting at a terminal all day bitching and waiting for an empty to magically appear.

Just quit complaining! As long as the wheels are turning you are making money.

Most typical bitchy drivers only want 1,000+ miles runs or they don't want anything. You just have to realize you might have to run a local once in a while to keep you moving.

Just quit complaining and drive :lol:

The days when I ran short hauls I usually made more money than if I would have run a 600 mile day anyway. And I usually never left the state I was in.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:38 PM

If your a driver who dont require high maintenance and stays out 2 or 3 weeks and dont refuse loads, you need to be making at lease a net of 1k. per week. If your not you need to go to a comapny, that will make that happen.