User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Arrow Loads - miles/week

I'm considering Arrow but haven't seen any recent posts regarding that company. Any Arrow drivers care to comment on availability of loads or miles/week? I'm especially interested in anyone driving the Western region as I'm out of Las Vegas, NV. The Arrow recruiter tells me they're opening a Phoenix terminal in April, '08 and they're hiring right now.

I'd also welcome comments from drivers of any companies who work out of Las Vegas, NV.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Senior Board Member

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ighlight=arrow
Old 04-12-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
Yeah, I saw that one, CF. That's why I qualified my statement saying I hadn't seen any "recent" posts. That Arrow driver's last post was on Jan 25 '07 and I haven't seen much about the company since then. Maybe it's an ominous sign that I should leave Arrow alone.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:10 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Let me ask you this: why pull for a skateboard outfit when residential/commerical business across the country is in the toilet?

Right now, you want to stick with what's known as "consumer staples": food, beverages, paper products, etc. Even tho those are some of the most discounted tariffs in the biz, there's a steady-eddiness to that freight when times are tough. To that end, look to your reefer haulers or companies that pull alot of Proctor & Gamble, paper mill, Nestle, Wallyworld, etc.

When the housing/construction markets start to bounce back, then toss your hat into the flatbed ring.

Forewarned is forearmed
Beware or be square
Hope you take care!
Old 04-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
Let me ask you this: why pull for a skateboard outfit when residential/commerical business across the country is in the toilet?
Right now, you want to stick with what's known as "consumer staples": food, beverages, paper products, etc. Even tho those are some of the most discounted tariffs in the biz, there's a steady-eddiness to that freight when times are tough. To that end, look to your reefer haulers or companies that pull alot of Proctor & Gamble, paper mill, Nestle, Wallyworld, etc.

When the housing/construction markets start to bounce back, then toss your hat into the flatbed ring.

Forewarned is forearmed
Beware or be square
Hope you take care!
While the housing market has hit the skids....new construction has not completely stopped. There are still ton's of motels, malls, c-stores, "Other" business complex'es, plus the infrastructure of the country, that are still going. Arrow's largest comodity is steel. Pipe, plate, beams. Lot's of well casing being moved around the country..with Arrow doing their share.

Arrow has it's problems..just like any other trucking company. There are happy drivers at Arrow...there are un-happy drivers at Arrow.

Being in Vegas...your choices for a company terminaled there are limited. If you have a decent driving record and work history, try Melton. They are one of the best flatbed companies out there, and run that way.

http://www.meltontruck.com/

LJ/CFM doesn't identify (ever) the LTL outfit he drives for.....and even though LTL is in the same rut that flatbed, dry van, tanker and yes..reefer's are in...he continues to promote the greatness of that job.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:46 PM

Funny you should mention Melton. I was just looking at their site when I decided to check back on this thread.

Another company that I've been looking at is Crete. But now I'm wondering if their Western regional fleet is getting enough freight to keep me running. I'd go national but I'd rather be home after 2 weeks than 4-5.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
While the housing market has hit the skids....new construction has not completely stopped.
But it is slow...VERY slow. Banks are not lending money out like they used to due to the credit crunch which in turn is creating problems for all the building trades. And cities and towns are having problems floating municipal bonds to finance infrastructure projects.

In light of those facts, I personally would not pull for a flatbed carrier right now. But hey, it's your time and your dime and if you want to sit around truckstops waiting for loads all day then go ahead. No skin off my back.

Quote:
LJ/CFM doesn't identify (ever) the LTL outfit he drives for.....and even though LTL is in the same rut that flatbed, dry van, tanker and yes..reefer's are in...he continues to promote the greatness of that job.
We are not in the same boat as flatbed...our freight mix is much more diversified. With flatbed, there is too much reliance on contruction. All transport companies are feeling the pinch right now...some more than others. In this biz, you've got to learn to pick your horses if you want to run. And that's the bottom line.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:33 AM
Rookie

I made the choice to go to Koch Trucking out of Minneapolis, after firing off 120 applications over a weekend, and only getting three possibles. Koch was the only one to take the time to call me. The company is well diversified, with their fingers into leasing, freight brokerage, OTR, regional, local, LTL and several other ventures, They only have 700 tractors, and seem to keep them busy, with clients like Kmart, Sears and Best Buy, among others.

The home time policy is 7-14 days out, 3 days at home-if you want to run more you can. They also offer a monthly bonus of $300, split into 3 segments of 75, 75 and 150-the bonus seems to be very easily achievable. The equipment is all air ride trailers, and 05-09 Volvos with about 50 09 Internationals-all the 05s are leaving in the next month.

So far what I have seen shows promise, but I'll know more in a couple of weeks.

Good luck in your search!
Old 04-13-2008, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwolf07
I made the choice to go to Koch Trucking out of Minneapolis, after firing off 120 applications over a weekend, and only getting three possibles. Koch was the only one to take the time to call me. The company is well diversified, with their fingers into leasing, freight brokerage, OTR, regional, local, LTL and several other ventures, They only have 700 tractors, and seem to keep them busy, with clients like Kmart, Sears and Best Buy, among others.

The home time policy is 7-14 days out, 3 days at home-if you want to run more you can. They also offer a monthly bonus of $300, split into 3 segments of 75, 75 and 150-the bonus seems to be very easily achievable. The equipment is all air ride trailers, and 05-09 Volvos with about 50 09 Internationals-all the 05s are leaving in the next month.

So far what I have seen shows promise, but I'll know more in a couple of weeks.

Good luck in your search!
Thanks... BTW, did you land that job with Koch right out of school? I thought they required at least 1yr of experience?
Old 04-13-2008, 05:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBron James
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
While the housing market has hit the skids....new construction has not completely stopped.
But it is slow...VERY slow. Banks are not lending money out like they used to due to the credit crunch which in turn is creating problems for all the building trades. And cities and towns are having problems floating municipal bonds to finance infrastructure projects.

In light of those facts, I personally would not pull for a flatbed carrier right now. But hey, it's your time and your dime and if you want to sit around truckstops waiting for loads all day then go ahead. No skin off my back.

Quote:
We are not in the same boat as flatbed...our freight mix is much more diversified. With flatbed, there is too much reliance on contruction. All transport companies are feeling the pinch right now...some more than others. In this biz, you've got to learn to pick your horses if you want to run. And that's the bottom line.
My nephew Anthony, made commison's of $10,800 in January, $7,900 in February, and $9,300 in march...he works in the realty/mortgage trade. They are still making mortgage loans. They simply are not loaning out money, to people whom have a poor credit history, like they used to (one part of the reason we are in the mess the country is in).

My bottom line last week...after fuel, insurance and taxes, was $7890. This week won't be so good...only $2700 net...but then I had a 4 day week end in there.