User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona911
I found out last night that Interstate is getting cut back too but only the Solo's and not the teams.
wrong.... the word is, they are looking at idle %. those that idle over 30% will be cut back to 65 mph. Dont know where you got your info, I got mine from the office upstairs. Been trying to keep my Idle below 20%.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

maybe just me but you could lose 200 a month, or 1100. which is better? or you could go look for another job instead of complaining about 3 mph...but wait that would take some effort wouldn't it? nevermind.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Senior Board Member

I can understand why companies are doing in with Diesel at $4/gal.

Figure it will cost the typical solo driver $1500 year in reduced earnings while saving the company at least twice that in less fuel burnt. They need to kick back that savings to the driver. Every company should have an obtainable, realistic MPG bonus that is big enough to make the drivers care. Most of us could eek out an extra .3-.5 mpg if we really cared.

Now if they coupled it with a .01-.02 cpm hike it would be a wash.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:22 AM
Rookie
Default GTI

They are also going to park 100 trks.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Hmm, some drivers are their own worst enemy!

Not sure about Gordon, Interstate, or some of these others, but 2 of the outfits I have worked for with 65 and 68 mph trucks, gave the drivers one heck of a fuel bonus if their mpg averages were above a certain attainable level! Speed, shifting, trip planning and idling are all factors!

Even when my truck were governed, I very seldom ran on the governor! Also, unless temperatures were between 40 and 80 degrees, my truck was shut down when I was asleep! Had a nice quiet 12 volt fan to keep the air moving in the truck, and slept like a baby! When the fuel bonus' came out, it far outweighed the measly loss of revenue because of miles not driven. My current company truck will run 85 mph, my average speed to date on all runs this year, has been 58 mph, and my fuel mileage is up almost 1.5 mpg over the previous driver!

I do know to many drivers that can average much over 58 mph anyway, in OTR work, and most, if they run a legal log book, will find the average speed per shift is closer to 53 or 54!

So the loss of revenue argument does not hold up, when it comes back to companies cutting back the trucks to 62, 63, 0r 65. What they save in fuel, maintenance and insurance can save a outfit a huge chunk of change, that can be passed on to drivers that take care of the equipment!

Too many company drivers have the crap attitude, that it is not my equipment, it is not my money, so why try and save it! When if they would take care of it as if it was theirs, they would see huge rewards in most cases, and prepare them for the ultimate step, of being a O/O!

If I was running a fleet, you can darn sure bet, the drivers that took care of my equipment and looked after expenses like it was their own, would be rewarded, either monetarily, or with the cream of the pick when it came to loads.

Think about it! Want to be your own worst enemy, keep thinking that way! Want to earn the rewards, and prepare yourself for the future, take care of the equipment, plan your runs better, and quit your whinin!
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 04-10-2008, 03:17 AM

This is definitely a touchy subject. One possibility to look at is with diesel being what it is, the companies could be using this reduction as an excuse to clear record breaking earnings. Or perhaps they have too many accident drivers and the insurance is raising their rates unless a "safety measure" is taken. All in all, to find the absolute true reason(s) behind it is nearly an impossible task.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Definitely agree! A company in all reality does not have to justify its actions to the drivers! But in many cases, would really help the drivers understand what is going on!

I just find it funny how many company drivers have know idea about what keeps those wheels rolling!

I am a true believer that company orientation should include a minimum of 4 hours in trucking economics!

No doubt, there will be plenty of flame action on this one! Oh well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunNGun
This is definitely a touchy subject. One possibility to look at is with diesel being what it is, the companies could be using this reduction as an excuse to clear record breaking earnings. Or perhaps they have too many accident drivers and the insurance is raising their rates unless a "safety measure" is taken. All in all, to find the absolute true reason(s) behind it is nearly an impossible task.
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 04-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasman2
Quote:
I found out last night that Interstate is getting cut back too but only the Solo's and not the teams.
wrong.... the word is, they are looking at idle %. those that idle over 30% will be cut back to 65 mph. Dont know where you got your info, I got mine from the office upstairs. Been trying to keep my Idle below 20%.
Ready? My old trainers student's parents drive team for interstate. Thats where I got my info from. ops:
Old 04-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Board Regular

A lot of the turning down is brought on by the drivers who treat the companies truck as an endless money pit. We were at the terminal the other day, a solo driver pulled up (had a back of seat organizer in passenger seat w/big box so we know he was a solo), temp was 68 with a breeze. He got out of his truck, left it running and walked into the building. The trucks have automatic shutoff, but it can take up to 5 minutes to shut off. That is five minutes to long! It is hard to fathom that this driver was so lazy that he cannot even turn a key off. Pleazzzzzze! :roll:

Many of the drivers out there whining and crying have no one to blame but themselves and they need to go into the bathroom, look into the mirror and cry to themselves for I don't give a darn.

As long as I have a job during this recession/turn down in the economy/government/big business screwing this country over (call it what you want) I will be happy. 55 mph or 68 mph I will get my job done and my bills paid.

Doesn't matter where you have been, it's where you are going in life that counts!
Old 04-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasman2
Quote:
Ready? My old trainers student's parents drive team for interstate. Thats where I got my info from. ops:
thats how rumors get started, drivers talking instead of asking.

But who really knows? I could have been lied to, but don't thing so.