User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Coca Cola Bulk Driver

Do anyone on this board hold this position or has held this position in the past two years?? if anyone have could you give me info as in, is it slip seat, can you have a cb, whats the primary duties outside of just driving???
Old 03-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Default Re: Coca Cola Bulk Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr
Do anyone on this board hold this position or has held this position in the past two years?? if anyone have could you give me info as in, is it slip seat, can you have a cb, whats the primary duties outside of just driving???
Until you hear something - take a look at this thread: http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=29177
Old 03-29-2008, 06:18 AM
Default Re: Coca Cola Bulk Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkjr
I drove for Pepsi almost a year ago as a route driver, but I did hang out with a couple of the bulk guys.

Bulk trucks are usually 53' trailers, or sometimes 48', that make deliveries to the "large format" customers. Grocery stores, schools, Wal-Mart / K-Mart / Target, etc. places that keep a lot of stock on hand are normally where the bulk drivers go.

There can be, and usually is a lot of work involved in most deliveries as a bulk driver because you have to unload each pallet from the trailer, cart it out to the sales floor, build displays, stock shelves, rotate stock, pick-up out of date / damaged product, and so on. Pepsi bulk loads usually averaged around 900 - 1200 cases per truck...and you sometimes have to fingerprint every single case.

As a route driver, my work day normally started around 5am, but the bulk guys generally started anywhere between 1am - 3am and were done by noon if it was a light day or 2pm - 4pm if it was a busy day.

For the most part, the Pepsi bulk drivers I know had their own truck. It wasn't assigned to them, but they usually got the truck they liked.
I usually saw the same Coke bulk drivers in the same trucks at the same stops as well.

None of the Coke or Pepsi trucks here have CB's in them, but both companies do provide cell phones to each driver.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
There can be, and usually is a lot of work involved in most deliveries as a bulk driver because you have to unload each pallet from the trailer, cart it out to the sales floor, build displays, stock shelves, rotate stock, pick-up out of date / damaged product, and so on.
That depends on the warehouse that they drive out of. Around here both Coke and Pepsi have merchandisers follow the trucks and do the displays and stocking of the products. The bulk driver only deliver it, nothing else.
Slip-seating again would depend on the watehouse that you work out of. Around here the drivers take the same truck everyday. As far as a CB, that is driver preference. A few Coke and Pepsi drivers that I use to run into had them in the truck.
Providing your location would help as each warehouse is ran alittle different.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 03-29-2008, 01:47 PM

my nephew worked their in jersey, before he moved to nc, he worked merchandiser for 4 yrs, before he got, bulk driver job, he said those jobs, are bidded on.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double R
Quote:
There can be, and usually is a lot of work involved in most deliveries as a bulk driver because you have to unload each pallet from the trailer, cart it out to the sales floor, build displays, stock shelves, rotate stock, pick-up out of date / damaged product, and so on.
That depends on the warehouse that they drive out of. Around here both Coke and Pepsi have merchandisers follow the trucks and do the displays and stocking of the products. The bulk driver only deliver it, nothing else.
Slip-seating again would depend on the watehouse that you work out of. Around here the drivers take the same truck everyday. As far as a CB, that is driver preference. A few Coke and Pepsi drivers that I use to run into had them in the truck.
Providing your location would help as each warehouse is ran alittle different.
I should have said "Your mileage may vary". :lol:

But yeah, it's true that it depends on the way each local place is run.
Here in Albuquerque:

7-Up is pretty ghetto..trailers with doors that don't close, trucks that look like they're left over from the 70's, etc.

Pepsi had a bit nicer equipment, but I still drove a 97 International that couldn't pass a PTI much less a DOT inspection.

Coke, on the other hand, had brand new International day cabs, 48' dry van trailers, & electric pallet jacks.

All 3 companies required the drivers to unload regardless of the position be it "full service" (vending machine route), route drivers, or bulk drivers.
Merchandisers, at least for Pepsi, didn't really do much..they might move a case or two around as the driver would bring in pallets full of crap and then they'd run off an BS with store management.

On the route driver side, that made for some good 14 hour days of lugging around 5 tons of Pepsi using nothing but a dolly. :roll:

None of the trucks have C.B.'s in them for whatever reasons the local management had for not using them.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:09 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
On the route driver side, that made for some good 14 hour days of lugging around 5 tons of Pepsi using nothing but a dolly.
10,000LBS, that's it? That is a slow day for me :lol:
Use to roll out with 30,000LBS of product for ice cream stores. ALL unloaded by dolly. Now I leave with 30,000LBS of pizza supplies :lol:

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 03-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Senior Board Member

the warehouse i plan to drive out of is richmond/sandston.. they have had a bulk deliver driver position open for the past 2 years!! and i'm considering.. but i would love to have a cb in my truck, and i'm not really a fan of slip seating, but i'm not in the way of making demands. so i take what i can... around here they all have new red daycab frieghtshakers, and they mainly pull 48 footers, i haven't seen them haul any trailers shorter...
Old 03-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Senior Board Member

the warehouse i plan to drive out of is richmond/sandston.. they have had a bulk deliver driver position open for the past 2 years!! and i'm considering.. but i would love to have a cb in my truck, and i'm not really a fan of slip seating, but i'm not in the way of making demands. so i take what i can... around here they all have new red daycab frieghtshakers, and they mainly pull 48 footers, i haven't seen them haul any trailers shorter...
Old 03-29-2008, 07:36 PM

If that job has been open for 2 yrs, I would sure do some investigation, sounds kind of unusual don't you think. Talk with some of their drivers, has to be a reason.