User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Any Good advice on this? Newbie out of school...

Hello all...

Now to it...

I graduated Swift's driving academy in mid january 08...

At orientation, I signed on to flatbed division and my address was changed by what swift calls a "processor" - this allowed me to enter flatbed training.

After 6 weeks with a mentor (who was a better fellow and mentor than I ever expected) I got off his truck and completed the final part of flatbed training. I was then "cleared to solo".

The next day, I was told that the address change never took place. I asked for a single day to change my license, but was refused. I was told repeatedly that I had until mid april to change my license to my home state. In fact, I wasn't even allowed 24 hrs. :x :evil:

My my home terminal was changed, and now I'm waiting for a truck. Its been over 2 weeks of waiting and its not looking promising. The way things have been handled is that I'm told it was all an error, but no one is making any effort to resolve it. They expect to wait as long as it takes, OR, just quit and leave and then they start billing me for the school. :evil:

WHAT BITES / WORKS AGAINST ME

1- Swift doesn't mind me waiting or leaving, but I need an income.
2- I have a refusal to test for alcohol from 10/99
3- I have a misdemeanor 2004 (worked for a contractor, guy ducked and
dodged on paying me, left a stupid but honest message, and was charged for threatening).
4 - Aside from 6 weeks mentoring, I have no CDL A experience.
5 - Swift won't release grades or graduation info until paid in full...but I can't pay if I have no income.

WHAT I'D LIKE

If I have to drive a truck, I'd rather drive flatbed...its what I trained for and even though its harder work, what I like. I'm open to reefer or van so the preference is only that - a preference.

I love running the SW - AZ, NM, South TX (viva Laredo)...
...would like to see FL at least every 6 weeks (if I can just get close to FL, I can do the rest).

License still says TN. Been living with family since last year. Have family in SC & FL for address info...no issues changing license over...just looking for an option to swift.

All this having been said, anyone know of a company that will take me on...no exp., misdemeanor 2004, 1 dui/refusal 9 years old, no tickets no accidents since '98...and a decent work history?

thanks for the good advice ...
Old 03-18-2008, 08:09 PM

I hate this say this, but considering your options, you may have to train all over again, you can try CR England in utah, they are a company that takes just about anyone, in the scheme of things they pretty much suck as a otr company but as I said considering your options which at this point are few. sorry I couldn't be of more help to you. good luck
Old 03-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Default Re: Any Good advice on this? Newbie out of school...

Quote:
Originally Posted by solid_smoke
Hello all...

Now to it...

I graduated Swift's driving academy in mid january 08...

At orientation, I signed on to flatbed division and my address was changed by what swift calls a "processor" - this allowed me to enter flatbed training.

After 6 weeks with a mentor (who was a better fellow and mentor than I ever expected) I got off his truck and completed the final part of flatbed training. I was then "cleared to solo".

The next day, I was told that the address change never took place. I asked for a single day to change my license, but was refused. I was told repeatedly that I had until mid april to change my license to my home state. In fact, I wasn't even allowed 24 hrs. :x :evil:

My my home terminal was changed, and now I'm waiting for a truck. Its been over 2 weeks of waiting and its not looking promising. The way things have been handled is that I'm told it was all an error, but no one is making any effort to resolve it. They expect to wait as long as it takes, OR, just quit and leave and then they start billing me for the school. :evil:

WHAT BITES / WORKS AGAINST ME

1- Swift doesn't mind me waiting or leaving, but I need an income.
2- I have a refusal to test for alcohol from 10/99
3- I have a misdemeanor 2004 (worked for a contractor, guy ducked and
dodged on paying me, left a stupid but honest message, and was charged for threatening).
4 - Aside from 6 weeks mentoring, I have no CDL A experience.
5 - Swift won't release grades or graduation info until paid in full...but I can't pay if I have no income.

WHAT I'D LIKE

If I have to drive a truck, I'd rather drive flatbed...its what I trained for and even though its harder work, what I like. I'm open to reefer or van so the preference is only that - a preference.

I love running the SW - AZ, NM, South TX (viva Laredo)...
...would like to see FL at least every 6 weeks (if I can just get close to FL, I can do the rest).

License still says TN. Been living with family since last year. Have family in SC & FL for address info...no issues changing license over...just looking for an option to swift.

All this having been said, anyone know of a company that will take me on...no exp., misdemeanor 2004, 1 dui/refusal 9 years old, no tickets no accidents since '98...and a decent work history?

thanks for the good advice ...
The bolded line above....regardless of the circumstances, a lot of people will consider that as if you were convicted of DUI.

If Swift insists on jerking you around and not allowing you to work for them, there may not be much else you can do except go through "training" somewhere else. However, you may want to look local. Coke, Pepsi, beer companies, dump trucks, etc will usually (but not always) take someone with no experience.

That being said, start making phone calls to the terminal or location you had your classes at and see what's going on there. If it were me, and I were on the hook for all the funds, I'd be on the phone every hour harassing someone until they fix their boo-boo.

That's one reason I paid for my training myself....didn't want to get a screw job like that.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Like ajritter04 said - that refusal to test is going to be the #1 biggest strike against you. Very few outfits will take a risk on a driver who may have something to hide to the point he's refused an alcohol screen. It's a major liability.

If you want to run Florida, my suggestion is to stay FAR AWAY from flatbed. Freight goes in, it does not come out - and therefore many carriers will not hire drivers than want a substantial amount of hometime in Florida. Reefer would probably be a better fit. I ran team out of Nashville, TN to Los Angeles, CA to Orlando, FL and back to Nashville for a time under organic produce.

As far as Swift goes, the "processors" are the ones that work in tandem with the recruiters and verify and maintain your employment file with the company up until the time you become an official employee of the company. I would contact the terminal manager at the terminal you are to be based out of (I assume Greer or Gary) and see what needs to be done to resolve the issue. During the time I worked for Swift, I never had a problem switching terminals or changing my address with the company.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:12 AM
Rookie
Default Thanks all

the refusal to test thing again and again...

but just to explain it...

I was followed by a cop for 15 minutes...never so much as rolled through a stop sign...got out of my car - had my key in the doorlock of my house and then she wants me to come back and take a test. Had I been drinking? yes. I was just ticked that after 15 minutes of shadowing me and then with me thru my gate and on my porch she didn't leave me alone. So yes, I refused the test.

just have to deal with it best I can...