User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Knight Transportation

Monday I start orientation for Knight at Katy TX terminal. Is there any drivers on this forum that can tell me how things are at this terminal?

Also I am a Ambassador for the Worlds Largest Truck Convoy benifiting Special Olympics. Do you think they will allow me to place a decal on the truck stating this?

I have read most of the post on here about them, and have seen very little about Katy, TX. Please dont tell me half of the bad storys. So many times people say a company dont run me or I only made 100.00 last week. what they dont tell you is they are difficult to work with or they were in a freight depressed area. I have been driving for over 20 years and have never been intentionaly sat by a company unless freight was not there or not where I needed to go. Sorry about the soap box statment I will get off it now.
Any info would be appreciated.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Board Regular

I've been to the Katy Tx terminal before and it seemed Ok to me.Knight has a shop there and there is decent motels near by. which i would imagine U will stay near by. there is also a few strip malls and such near by.I won't bad mouth Knight this early in the day.but they have there good & bad points as most things in life do it seems ! I will say one thing the safety & recruiting man in Carlisle, Pa. told me that they no longer pay any $ for orientation. they may say something different in Texas. Reason for the change is drivers could go on daily pay and earn after there 1 st load is scanned in to Phx,hope that heLps U ? 8)
Old 03-02-2008, 12:49 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't know how Katy is now, but when I was at Knight in 2005 (KC terminal) it was probably the most screwed up terminal in the company.

One thing about Knight, no matter which terminal you work out of, is to develop a good working relationship with your dispatcher. Don't be afraid to tell them what you expect but be sure to listen to what they expect also.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Senior Board Member

I will keep this short and sweet since I am constantly beat up about saying anything good about Knight.

They will let you put a decal on stating that you support the Special Olympics. Just make sure you ask first.

I take part in, and am a very big supporter of the Make-A-Wish Convoy every year. I also got Carlisle terminal to give out some shirts and hats at the last years event and they were very supportive.

Good Luck!!!
Old 03-02-2008, 01:40 AM
Board Regular

Not meaning to sound like I'm flaming you or anything, but if you've been in trucking 20 years why work for Knight as they don't pay for experience. You should be able to go out and find companys that will jump through hoops to get someone with 20 years. Knight is going to pay you the same amount that they will someone with 4 months. Again I'm not flaming you I just think you deserve more for your experience.

Chris
Old 03-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Not meaning to sound like I'm flaming you or anything, but if you've been in trucking 20 years why work for Knight as they don't pay for experience. You should be able to go out and find companys that will jump through hoops to get someone with 20 years. Knight is going to pay you the same amount that they will someone with 4 months. Again I'm not flaming you I just think you deserve more for your experience.
Been driving since 1984 when I got out of the service. I have been doing alot of reserch and the few good companys that pay more or have the bennys I want, want me to stay out 3 to 4 weeks or they dont hire in my area. I live in Floresville Tx just south of San Antonio. If i have learned anything in my last 20 some years in this industry it is alot of companys will promise the moon and only deliver a moon rock. I just sold my truck and wanted to work for a company that was large enough to have drop and hook but be small enough to recognize a good driver and then treat that driver accoringly. Also was told by the union outfits here that they mostly take on transfers from other areas as san antonio is a warmer climate.
Thanx for ya'lls post they are all appreciated
Old 03-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Board Regular

Hey Smoki'nEagle, I don't run truck for the Knight family any longer but considered giving it another try.the mistake which I made was there Idea of non-forced dispatch & mine was totally different there's is if UR fatiqued or sick U don't have to take the load or run.My understanding of non-forced dispatch was & is if U did'nt want to run to a certain destination I:E Boston Mass for example U should'nt be forced to take that load.Wrong thinking on my part! It's determined on freight availability.Which not knowing this I copped a attitude which made matters worse.Dollarshort said beware of perdiem which probly is a wise choice. most dispatchers have'nt run truck though.main thing I'm getting at is keep a positive attitude there! Hope all goe's well for U 8)
Old 03-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Rookie

Katy is a good terminal to work for! Been there a couple of years myself.
Just keep in mind freight has been SLOW here lately so dont expect to much to start out with until you learn the system! AVOID Randy in the shop as much as you can he is a prick and dont trust what he says! Colby the Ops manager is a good guy and the terminal manager Steve is new to Katy transfered from Phoenix have worked with him before he has a good heart for the drivers. Just make sure you travel agent knows that he or she works for you not the other way around! Tell Mel in recruiting we said hi!
Old 03-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Default knight

Been looking at Knight ,does anyone know something about them in the Chattanooga or Atlanta Ga. area.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Board Regular

A couple yrs back in Atlanta they just had a drop yard in the same area as c.r england. chattanoga, tn don't know about. this may of changed by now!