User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2008, 10:43 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default may truking company

I have searched and searched about may trucking. I have not found any information that i been looking for. Can anyone tell me anything about this company(pay, miles,equipments, and oreintation)
Old 01-02-2008, 12:58 AM
Rookie

Drove for them briefly. Low miles, average pay, poor dispatchers, good trucks, get home when you want/need to. They are relentless about logs and idling. That is about it. I was starving and had to leave.

Mad Dog
Old 01-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: may truking company

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasis2
I have searched and searched about may trucking. I have not found any information that i been looking for. Can anyone tell me anything about this company(pay, miles,equipments, and oreintation)
GFIW's hubby.....GFI started out there. I am sure one of them will be along soon to reply.

here is her thread about May......... http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...912&highlight=
Old 01-02-2008, 01:03 AM
Rookie

Well maybe that was a Freudian slip signing as Mad Dog. And/or my bad, but just another thought about May. There are cases where drivers have been fired for what I felt was not a good reason. As many companies do they promise the world to you but don't deliver. I would simply ask many questions about all aspects of the company. Good luck!

Mad "Hog"
Old 01-02-2008, 07:17 PM

Ok, when I was in CDL school, I ran across May Trucking too and ended up going with them. I asked a bunch of questions and called the recruiter several times so there were no surprises for me. They didn't promise the world and not deliver in other words.

What you can expect from May is this:
Out 3-6 weeks at a time.
I wasn't afraid to call and talk to my dispatcher often and make my hometime requirements known, WELL IN ADVANCE of when I wanted to be home.

A lot of time driving the I-80 corridore. A LOT. This is great during the summer, not so great during the winter unless you just like driving in the snow.

As was pointed out, they are very anal about logs, HOS, etc. You can expect to have regular conversations with compliance unless you are absolutly perfect on your logs.

The equipment is good and well maintained. They use Peterbilt 379's & 387's a lot. The all have the EF 13 speed transmission. That's a definate plus considering you'll get to know the mountains out west well. IMO a 10 speed just isn't made for the kind of driving you'll do with May a lot of the time.

I spent a lot of time in the Layton, UT and Payette, ID terminals and I never had anyone say anything about me bobtailing to town to get dinner or go shopping so that's nice.

NO PETS EVER.

The terminal manager in Pensacola, which is where you'd be based out of, Rob Allen is a complete and total spineless ass hole. But that's a personal thing and you (I can only hope) may have a different experience with him.

If it weren't for Rob and the fact that the time away from home was so long I'd probably still be there. If you decide to move to the west coast at some point there's a division that drives just the 11 western states and that would be nice. Like all trucking companies, they have a slow period but I never had any problem getting miles. Actually I can't remember ever hearing anyone in the 48 state division complain about miles. I do remember some people from the 11 state division complain though. I averaged somewhere between 3000-3200 miles/week if I remember right That's not hard when your first 5 day run is 2800 miles. (Ft Meyers, FL - Portland, OR or some place close to that).

Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:07 PM

May does have MAINLY very nice trucks but that's about where it ends, I agree with the others!
Old 01-02-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari
Ok, when I was in CDL school, I ran across May Trucking too and ended up going with them. I asked a bunch of questions and called the recruiter several times so there were no surprises for me. They didn't promise the world and not deliver in other words.

What you can expect from May is this:
Out 3-6 weeks at a time.
I wasn't afraid to call and talk to my dispatcher often and make my hometime requirements known, WELL IN ADVANCE of when I wanted to be home.

A lot of time driving the I-80 corridore. A LOT. This is great during the summer, not so great during the winter unless you just like driving in the snow.

As was pointed out, they are very anal about logs, HOS, etc. You can expect to have regular conversations with compliance unless you are absolutly perfect on your logs.

The equipment is good and well maintained. They use Peterbilt 379's & 387's a lot. The all have the EF 13 speed transmission. That's a definate plus considering you'll get to know the mountains out west well. IMO a 10 speed just isn't made for the kind of driving you'll do with May a lot of the time.

I spent a lot of time in the Layton, UT and Payette, ID terminals and I never had anyone say anything about me bobtailing to town to get dinner or go shopping so that's nice.

NO PETS EVER.

The terminal manager in Pensacola, which is where you'd be based out of, Rob Allen is a complete and total spineless ass hole. But that's a personal thing and you (I can only hope) may have a different experience with him.

If it weren't for Rob and the fact that the time away from home was so long I'd probably still be there. If you decide to move to the west coast at some point there's a division that drives just the 11 western states and that would be nice. Like all trucking companies, they have a slow period but I never had any problem getting miles. Actually I can't remember ever hearing anyone in the 48 state division complain about miles. I do remember some people from the 11 state division complain though. I averaged somewhere between 3000-3200 miles/week if I remember right That's not hard when your first 5 day run is 2800 miles. (Ft Meyers, FL - Portland, OR or some place close to that).

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply..One more question how is it driving team? i will be driving team with my bestfriend do they get more miles?
Old 01-02-2008, 11:20 PM

thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. Hope to see yall out there soon
Old 01-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Default Re: may truking company

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasis2
GFIW's hubby.....GFI started out there. I am sure one of them will be along soon to reply.

here is her thread about May......... http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...912&highlight=
thanks for the link to the thread it isvery helpful
Old 01-02-2008, 11:55 PM

Can't speak about teams personally. I know they have them and if memory serves me the teams get a priority over solos, which is usually the case with most companies I believe.

No matter the company, the driver has at least some say so over what their experience will be like. Speak up and stick up for yourself and you'll be happier than someone who just takes the crap that's thrown at them (and there's lots of crap being thrown every day) and bottles all their frustrations up and never says anything.