User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Which one???? Werner or CFI...

HAVE OFFER FROM BOTH....ANYONE HAVE GOOD POINTS/BAD POINTS FOR EITHER???? NEED TO DECIDE WHICH COMPANY TO CHOOSE.....ALREADY HAVE A CDL, AND THIS WILL BE MY FIRST TRUCKING JOB...THANKS AHEAD FOR ANY ADVISE.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

CFI(now ConWay). Treat their drivers much better and rarely hear much negative about them.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:00 AM
Board Regular

From your post count I'm going to assume you are new to this board. Click on the search link, and do a search on both companies.Read all you can about both of them.

You will find CFI is so far beyond Werner you will wonder why you even asked the Question.

Stay far, far, far, far, far......you get the idea, away from Werner.

Oh yeah, please turn off the CAP lock. It gets some people riled up.

[email protected]
Old 02-14-2008, 02:02 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

There is a REASON WERNER IS CALLED THE BIG BLUE SCREW. They love to screw over the drivers.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:14 AM

I am in the middle of my CDL school and have researched the hell out of all the companies that will hire us new guys on. I have pre hires from Werner, Swift, HO Wolding, CFI and trying for Crete. If I don't get in with Crete I think CFI is going to be the fall back. Why is it better? CFI training is 4-8 weeks. up the the trainer and you when they feel you are ready to do it on your own. Werner it is a set number of miles I have heard it taking over 3 months to complete. Training pay ends up being more for CFI they pay you per mile. 401k is better puts in 2c a mile CFI. Werner pays tuition pay back at 100 i think a month. Thats only 25 bucks a week, you should make more than that with CFI. CFI pays 3c i mile for HazMat. Pays 5c to run the NE where I live. Trust me it is a lot better. Plus that paperless log isn't all it is cracked up to be. Go with CFI!!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 02:41 AM
Rookie

Sorry about the capital letters. I am new to the forum and to typing. I do like what I have read about CFI and will probably going with them. I have to deside soon. I wanted to do flatbed and have prehire with a flatbed company but $$$$$$ are telling me to get busy. Thanks for the feed back.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:17 AM
Senior Board Member

I'd got with Con-Way Truckload/CFI. Crete would also be a good choice.

It is the wrong time of the year and the wrong phase of the business cycle to get into flatbeds.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:05 AM
Senior Board Member

The training at Con-Way Truckload is 7,500 miles. If you add in the week at Crowder College (for new CDL holders) you're looking at around 4 weeks max. The trainer can tell them that you need more time if there are still things to work on. If it takes you 8 weeks before the trainer will sign off, I would find another line of work.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 02-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Senior Board Member

I have been curious about CFI, since the Conway take over, What are some of the changes that have occurred and may be projected for the future? Anybody with some inside information about the changes if any?
Everybody knows Im a Werner driver, Im not trying to push Werner over CFI/Conway cause I know it can be a tough road with Werner, at least till you find a good "niche" with them and it is possible.

ICS wrote:
Quote:
Plus that paperless log isn't all it is cracked up to be.
Why do you say this?? Do you have any background in the use of the paperless logging?
Ive been with them 6yrs...I find the paperless logs very easy to use, saving me alot of "hassle" from the paperlogs. Once you master the use of the paperless logs and utilize good time management, they work out greatly to my advantage. There have been days that I would like to have been able "work in" another 15mins or so but overall they work great. I dont necessarly agree that a new driver should be using electronic logs with the first company they hire on with, though. Although they are easy to use, once understood, it can be difficult for a new driver. Should a Werner driver leave for another company, paperlogs would be a difficult transition.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew10
I have been curious about CFI, since the Conway take over, What are some of the changes that have occurred and may be projected for the future? Anybody with some inside information about the changes if any?
Everybody knows Im a Werner driver, Im not trying to push Werner over CFI/Conway cause I know it can be a tough road with Werner, at least till you find a good "niche" with them and it is possible.

ICS wrote:
Quote:
Plus that paperless log isn't all it is cracked up to be.
Why do you say this?? Do you have any background in the use of the paperless logging?
Ive been with them 6yrs...I find the paperless logs very easy to use, saving me alot of "hassle" from the paperlogs. Once you master the use of the paperless logs and utilize good time management, they work out greatly to my advantage. There have been days that I would like to have been able "work in" another 15mins or so but overall they work great. I dont necessarly agree that a new driver should be using electronic logs with the first company they hire on with, though. Although they are easy to use, once understood, it can be difficult for a new driver. Should a Werner driver leave for another company, paperlogs would be a difficult transition.
Well the reason that i say that? You pretty much summed it all up for me. Also i have heard a few drivers talk about system failing. Now the 2 instances that I know about were problems at the unit in the truck not the system per say its self. I guess the 2 main reasons that i feel i wouldn't want to use it is the whole fudge factor. and the fact that I want to get used to doing paper logs. one day i am sure that everyone will have these or similar systems in the truck but for now I would rather be familiar with the more excepted system.
I don't think there is much wrong with it to be honest, the few things that discourage me from wanting to use really arn't a big deal. I guess what I meant by it was more to the effect that when the recruiter comes to do his memorized lecture about werner he pushes this thing so hard. makes it sound like the cure all for all trucking problems and it isn't really a big deal either way.