User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default TMC/Flatbed in general question

Thanks for all the input about TMC. So before I asked this question I read most of the already posted TMC posts. Talk about a lot of information. But the one question I have still unanswered is about the TMC training. About every 20 posts someone would make a comment about making it through the training process. Can I ask what is so hard? Is it physical, mental, or just because people get into trucking for the fancy truck and pay and sometime during training relize its a really BIG truck and that you have to sleep in it A LOT. I saw a lot of that when I went through training at Schneider Green Bay WI. With Schneider I thought the training was hard only because I was learning a new skill in a short time span. I also knew the information they were throwing at us was very important to be a good and safe driver. So I just buckled down on the long hard days and studied my ass off at night. Worked out well and I was #2 in my class. Passed all my tests the first round. SOOOOOOOOOOO to my question. What is so hard about TMC training? Can you give me some direct examples so I can understand. Again thanks for all the input. This is a amazing web site.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: Earth, North America, North, East, 9th State, 42° 56' 1" N, 72° 16' 41" W
Default Re: TMC/Flatbed in general question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1ben
Thanks for all the input about TMC. So before I asked this question I read most of the already posted TMC posts. Talk about a lot of information. But the one question I have still unanswered is about the TMC training. About every 20 posts someone would make a comment about making it through the training process. Can I ask what is so hard? Is it physical, mental, or just because people get into trucking for the fancy truck and pay and sometime during training relize its a really BIG truck and that you have to sleep in it A LOT. I saw a lot of that when I went through training at Schneider Green Bay WI. With Schneider I thought the training was hard only because I was learning a new skill in a short time span. I also knew the information they were throwing at us was very important to be a good and safe driver. So I just buckled down on the long hard days and studied my ass off at night. Worked out well and I was #2 in my class. Passed all my tests the first round. SOOOOOOOOOOO to my question. What is so hard about TMC training? Can you give me some direct examples so I can understand. Again thanks for all the input. This is a amazing web site.
The orientation/training 2 week program is straight with no days off. Not a problem for most. The 5 week training is tough on trainees as they usually have to travel each Friday and Sunday from their house. I was just tired and stressed out...it is a lot to learn, even in 5-6 weeks.

Good luck
Proverbs 12:24, God, A really long time ago.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:54 PM

hey thanks for the response. thats what I kinda thought. same thing when I went through schneider. lots of time away from home with nothing but driving truck thrown at you.

i hope TMC calls soon. 2007 was hard on me and my resume. trying to make ends meet in retail has been hard. i wish i never had to leave the road. i had things lined up to go to maverick once my one year was up with sni.

weird i never heard of TMC until i started looking in the last month. not sure how i missed that.

any idea what type of routes i will be running living close to Columbus Ohio? the recruiter said getting home the weekend wont be a problem.

thanks again
Old 02-08-2008, 12:57 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: Earth, North America, North, East, 9th State, 42° 56' 1" N, 72° 16' 41" W

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1ben
hey thanks for the response. thats what I kinda thought. same thing when I went through schneider. lots of time away from home with nothing but driving truck thrown at you.

i hope TMC calls soon. 2007 was hard on me and my resume. trying to make ends meet in retail has been hard. i wish i never had to leave the road. i had things lined up to go to maverick once my one year was up with sni.

weird i never heard of TMC until i started looking in the last month. not sure how i missed that.

any idea what type of routes i will be running living close to Columbus Ohio? the recruiter said getting home the weekend wont be a problem.

thanks again
There never seems to be any rhyme or reason to where you might run. More steel out there than in most areas. Plenty of shingle, siding, sheetrock, etc., plants out there. Not a lot of lumber that I know of. Depends a lot on the sucky economy too. All I know is that Ohio and the Midwest is easy drivin'!
Proverbs 12:24, God, A really long time ago.