User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default the big 4.

Out of the 4 largest companies, which should be Swift, Schneider, JB Hunt and Werner. Who is the best to work for?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: the big 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmrtt
Out of the 4 largest companies, which should be Swift, Schneider, JB Hunt and Werner. Who is the best to work for?

Well if you live in a hiring area for Office-Max ,Sears ,Or Bud weiser dedicated ...werner would be the best to work for ,as you would be making about .35 CPM to start those accounts right off ther trainers truck and the pay package is good on them earning you 45-50k your first year ...Office-Max/Sears are the best accounts all around with easy freight that if you choose to assist at the stops you can get an extra $20 per stop plus the stop pay which if non dedicated is 25/35/55/75 I'm not sure if the stop pay an assist pay are the same or more on the dedicated ,but between the miles/stop pay you will make good money ,and can make more if you assist on each stop ...And Werner has better equipment than Schneider,Swift ,And JB Hunt ...Now as for the others I can't comment , As I've never worked directly for them ,But I do know that their equipment is nothing to great with Swift being the best if you get a Volvo ,But Werner still has better equipment than swift ..Werner also has better fuel stops ..no optimization ,and tons of fuel stops ...They have ez-pass for all the east coast toll roads , I-pass for Oklahoma ,And K-Tag for the Kansas Turn pike ,And others if running dedicated in areas that have toll roads like Sun pass in florida , And Werner doesn't try to cheap you around the toll roads taking slow crappy US highways :wink: this may or may not be important to you , But at werner the driver can draw up to $200.00 at once every 7 days for personal use this could be usefull when just starting out ,as most companies don't seem to give the driver a personal advance like that ,and want to limit advance money to things like tolls/scales.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:43 PM

Well I can not speak to any company outside of Schneider. I chose Schneider based on there driving school. I had no CDL at the time. I thought school went really well. It wasnt easy or overly hard. But for some reason there was a lot of drop outs. I think they said half of my class dropped before week one was up. That means over 30 people quit or were let go. However they keep that on the down low and you never really know what happen.

I stuck to what they were teaching, payed attention, and made it through training with no problem. Past all tests including the Ohio CDL test first time through, no retakes. So the school worked well for me.

After all that was complete I decided to try national team. We had a really nice truck that was almost new. We had long runs and never a issue with our STL. In fact I still talk to her every now and then. Keep in mind that my co driver and I did real well and hit all our delevery dates on time or before. Only a few issues that are typical truck driving issues, flats, trailer brakes, etc... So maybe I got lucky, or maybe I just did what I was paid for and never second guessed it. In my opionion it is what you make of it. I am certain I would do well at most any company. After I chose them, not the other way around. So do your reading, ask a lot of questions and then chose. We did have to deal with BS. Like when I went to pick up our first truck. It was ready when I called. Two days later it was ready. More time sitting in a hotel instead home on on the road.

I left for a family issue. Schneider extended a offer to make me inactive for six months. If I wanted to return within the six months I could with no problems. Even now, over a year later they will still take me back, just with some training to refresh my skills.

Hope that helps you a little. Please feel free to ask more direct questions. Search this website. You will find a LOT of information on all companys you stated. Just remember that the bigger companys have more drivers, there for they have more people to log on here and tell there storys. Good or bad.

Take it easy and good luck!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Thats a "loaded" question. But the bigger question is: Why limit yourself to those four?

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:00 AM
Board Regular

I worked at Schneider. They aren't a bad outfit. Not sure why I left them. Oh yeah, now I remember it was to get more home time.

Werner pays ridiculously low CPM.

I don't know what the deal is with Swift. Everyone has a Swift joke.

JB Hunt is really despised in the online trucking community. I doubt that many of the posters have actually worked at JB.

I doubt any of this helps you. :cry:

Quote:
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:35 AM
Senior Board Member

ok just some random thoughts from a recruiter who has been talking to 1000s of drivers a year for many years about their jobs and all companies.
Werner- Quite honestly, I think i talked to more drivers there that were unhappy than any other company. Then again, just like any company, I have talked to drivers who love it and wouldnt think of going anywhere else.
Schnieder= from what I hear they have some of the best training but after there things go down hill. However, I have talked to many drivers who have done great there and love it.
JB Hunt- I think everyone knows my opinion of jb. I loved working there, for so many years, I hired 100s of drivers that did well there and still call me on occassion to tell me they are still doing well. As far as big companies go...a lot of them have the same problems. The job is what you make it and attitude is important. From what ive learned over the years, simple math will tell you, the larger the company the more people you will hear complaining. They are one of the most profitable companies out there...so they must be doing something right.
Ahh and finally Swift...the only company that has more jokes than JB. My opinion here might not matter to you because Swift is one of the companies I recruit for now. However people out here know Im a pretty honest recruiter and I tell it like it is. I can honestly tell you that over the many years ive been recruiting, I have talked to more drivers happy at swift than any other company. Now, with that said....simple math comes into play here.....They are the largest trucking company...so of course they would have the most happy drivers. From what I see in learning more about them now that im recruiting for them. They seem to have created a little better pay scale recently. They do have great benefits like most giant companies...and a lot of different types of jobs like regional dedicated and intermodal. There hiring standards are a little lower than a lot of companies, so some with "questionable past or MVR" it might be their best option. And training....YOU HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE, and right now there are 10s of 1000s of successful truck drivers out on the road right now who started their carreers with Swift. That cant be too bad of a thing.

It comes down to this a job is like a pair of pants....what fits you, might not fit anyone else. You are never going to know the truth about a job until you work for them and give it an honest effort.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Hey Sheepster.

The companies you work for now......how do they compare to the big 4?

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 02-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Rookie

Hey all, just wanted to give this thread a hit as its basically the same dilemma/question I'm dealing with myself right now.

Sheepdancer has it right with the pants analogy, different companies will fit people differently.
But more info can sometimes narrow it down, I think.

This is actually my first post as I've just joined CAD.com. I just received my Class A this past week and I graduated from a local, accredited training school. I feel very comfortable behind the wheel but it looks like THE BIG FOUR are my only real options to get started. Even if I'd rather go local, it's starting to look more and more OTR is the ONLY way to get the experience I need to open more doors.

So back to the 'more info', Ericmrt, where are you located?? Unlike many on this board I live in Taxachussetts and have my whole life. This affects which companies are in my area and who is looking for drivers around here. I've seen quite a few on this board complain about the Eastern and Northeastern lanes... This might be an advantage to me as I'm already up here and looking for an employer.

But I'm definitely no veteran here, and have a lot to learn.
So, Ericmrt, not trying to hijack your thread here at all, but it might help if you add some factors specific to your situation. Do you need to have a passenger riding with you, or are benefits not a priority for you? If not, a carrier with high CPM and no benefits would make more sense.

I hope this thread keeps going as it seems to be a question a lot of us newbs have to face: "Which of the big 4?"
Skywalker asked "Why limit yourself to those 4?" But I think those of us with 0 experience have few other choices.

Thanks for the chance to get my first post.

Drive safe,
-Anthro
Old 02-09-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Jb Hunt is a real bottom feeder they will try to ruin a drivers record when they leave. My buddy worked for them took them to court they paid a few hundred k for being dum. Werner has a sliding scale and do not have what i call good pay but they do run you and most equipment is ok some is not ok. schinder is one company i have not worked for or even wanted to. They have come up on there pay scale.. Swift is hurry up and wait some driver managers are worthless and once you find the right one there you ok..

I have found most large companies do not care about you at all. They do not care about your bills at all. With that said never think big is good. Look for a company that you do not hear much about.. I think there you can find a good home.

The real question is how hard are you willing to work.. Are you willing to leave home and not go back for a bit...

I do wish you great success in finding a good fit.. Remeber to stay at least a year do not job hop...

PS i am never right but never wrong as well. :twisted: :twisted:
Old 02-09-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthro
Hey all, just wanted to give this thread a hit as its basically the same dilemma/question I'm dealing with myself right now.

Sheepdancer has it right with the pants analogy, different companies will fit people differently.
But more info can sometimes narrow it down, I think.

This is actually my first post as I've just joined CAD.com. I just received my Class A this past week and I graduated from a local, accredited training school. I feel very comfortable behind the wheel but it looks like THE BIG FOUR are my only real options to get started. Even if I'd rather go local, it's starting to look more and more OTR is the ONLY way to get the experience I need to open more doors.

So back to the 'more info', Ericmrt, where are you located?? Unlike many on this board I live in Taxachussetts and have my whole life. This affects which companies are in my area and who is looking for drivers around here. I've seen quite a few on this board complain about the Eastern and Northeastern lanes... This might be an advantage to me as I'm already up here and looking for an employer.

But I'm definitely no veteran here, and have a lot to learn.
So, Ericmrt, not trying to hijack your thread here at all, but it might help if you add some factors specific to your situation. Do you need to have a passenger riding with you, or are benefits not a priority for you? If not, a carrier with high CPM and no benefits would make more sense.

I hope this thread keeps going as it seems to be a question a lot of us newbs have to face: "Which of the big 4?"
Skywalker asked "Why limit yourself to those 4?" But I think those of us with 0 experience have few other choices.

Thanks for the chance to get my first post.

Drive safe,
-Anthro
Many small companies also will take new recurites and teach you all the ropes.. Take a breath and look around... :twisted: