User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008, 05:12 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Week#5
Looks like it's going to total to about:

1887 for 4.5 days work--- but it won't end me up at my door step this weekend either--- hoping I'll be able to get him to work me by the house for Mon-Tues or Tues-Wednesday---- darn mechanics are like doctors these days with higher cost of fuel-- no body's buying NEW-- they are fixing the old
ones up( making due) got to make appointments--- but surely they won't be busy EVERY week day.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Back to Week#4

Some more details, notes, and confession;

Ok, Week#4 included:

a load from Ft. Smith, Ar- Topeka, Ks

now this above load-- I turned down/ did not accept the preplan-- not once but twice-- and they still "forced' it on me-- so I loaded it( just did have the hours remaining on my 14 to reach the Shipper-- of course, I ran out of hours(hit 14) while at the dock-- so I ended up spending the night on their property. Now, this was after starting my Sunday at Wal-Mart( Paul's Valley, Ok with a 7am Live Unload(2hours) 160 mile deadhead to Tulsa for a pickup-- shipper had to stay late to load it( and lost track of some of the product(almost canceled the load entirely)-- 118 miles then to Ft. Smith--

Oh, and I started the morning with only 7- hours remaining on my 70.
And they wanted that Topeka delivered at 8am sharp Monday.

So the next load-- was Independence, Mo to Cedar Rapids, Ia--

Welcome to the Caves( Space Center )

In the past 10 years these caves have came a long way--- I remember when there was little to NO- light--- the air was full of CO2 and CO(monoxide) from all the trucks.. you'd pass trucks down under here (200 feet below the surface) and the driver's would be "white nuckled" and look pale as ghosts--- many would get nervous and tare open their trailers -- rip em open like sardine cans on these walls-- which weren't painted white at that time. They've really improved greatly.

Still the below shot-- is of the scrap marks that are present along the walls - in front of every dock--- both high( where people have damaged the passenger top corner of their trailers backing into the docks) as seen below. As well as where they rip off their fenders & front bumpers down low( not pictured ).

Anyway, it was on this load-- that I made my first real mistake here at Heartland. A rookie Mistake--- not not driving related or related in any way to above pictures....

I was assigned to pick up a load of corn starch-- bound for Cedar Rapids, Ia.
The shipper loaded the trailer with a load going to --- Tulsa, Ok.
The lighting in the above pictures is from digital processing/flash on the camera---- when the loader brought the Bills out to the truck for me to sign-- I could barely see where he was pointing his finger for me to sign.

Mistake#1: Don't sign without reading WHERE the load is going-- it might not be YOUR load!.

Then, because-- I only had 2 hours left on my 14hour clock-- and I did read-- 45,6xx lbs--- Instead of stopping when I emerged from under-ground and sending my Loaded Call--- I was more concerned about getting to a truckstop and scaling out the load-- and getting some Dinner before I ran out of time. So, I hit 291 north, then cut west on 210-- hoping to scale out at the 210 Texaco -- as to avoid back tracking to the Flying J on Front St.---- Well, guess what--- the 210 Texaco is out-of-business--- wonder how long now? So, I hit 435North to 35 North--
Still watching my 2 remaining hours tick away-----
Mistake#2: The MDOT weigh station is south of the Kearny ex26 Pilot--
forgot about that------ but Luck was with me--- THE BIG WORD WAS OUT!
I whipped her in on the scale-- then parked.

It was perfect-- without having to slide any more--- I congradulated myself on being so "skilled/experienced" that I can usually just "feel" when I slide em up or back-- when the weight balances----- so, now I was parked- weight all legal--- and hungry---- and here at Heartland got to watch my idle time-- so why head back to a hot truck--- so I walked across the street to find some Dinner---- If you stop here--- try the Stallion Bar & Grill across the street-- real good Stakes.

Anyway, hours later when I returned to the truck--- to do that "loaded call"-- imagine my surprise when I read Bama Pie Company-- Tulsa, OK!

The lesson here is-- reguardless of how many years you've been trucking-- certain basic procedures must be followed-- religiously.

Read before you Sign! Even If you need a flashlight!

Send your loaded call--- from the Shipper! Even if you suspect/ think you might have to return for an adjustment- and don't want to have to send another one over again.

In my case, it worked out anyway-- I was out of hours at Kearney-- having to inform the Shipper they screwed up -- then returning the next morning to re-load--- I really didn't get more than 3 hours behind.

But the mistake should have/ could have been caught sooner!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Week#6:

Will be 1488 as of Wednesday Morning 5am-- 4 days worked

but, added to week#5-- for a total of 3375 for 10days out of house= 337 miles per day-- certainly a slow down that I can't afford
Old 07-30-2008, 04:55 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
Week#6:

Will be 1488 as of Wednesday Morning 5am-- 4 days worked

but, added to week#5-- for a total of 3375 for 10days out of house= 337 miles per day-- certainly a slow down that I can't afford
Week#6

Ok, now it's looking like 1508 as of here-- home as soon as this guy gets here and relays-- then Friday( if it's a good Friday 300?) so 1800 miles 5 days( 2 days home)
Old 07-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Ok, need some figures to compare too....

Need to hear from some of you OTR guys-- who are running these 8-10 days out-- then home 2 days off. What are your typical miles for a 8-10 day tour?

In the last 14 years-- I've always been out 21(3weeks or more) before hometime. Shaffer was the first to get me home/promise 18days out-

So, I need something to compare this experience too-- other than, comparing
just "what was stated- 2100-2200 a week( assuming 5-6 day week/home 3 out of 4 weekends) which doesn't seem to be the real "program" at all.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Board Regular

headborg wrote:

Quote:
what was stated- 2100-2200 a week( assuming 5-6 day week/home 3 out of 4 weekends) which doesn't seem to be the real "program" at all.
Does that really surprise you. I can't believe you were mislead! :shock:

I have no doubt that you might have suspected this going in, but from what I've been reading here it sounds like it is kind of working for you. Sort of anyway. At least you are getting some OK hometime and maybe it will start working out a little better as you become more accustom to their ways.

If nothing else you seem to be marginally better off than your final days with Shaffer.

Best of luck and keep the updates coming.

[email protected]
Old 07-31-2008, 05:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evertruckerr
headborg wrote:

Quote:
what was stated- 2100-2200 a week( assuming 5-6 day week/home 3 out of 4 weekends) which doesn't seem to be the real "program" at all.
Does that really surprise you. I can't believe you were mislead! :shock:

I have no doubt that you might have suspected this going in, but from what I've been reading here it sounds like it is kind of working for you. Sort of anyway. At least you are getting some OK hometime and maybe it will start working out a little better as you become more accustom to their ways.

If nothing else you seem to be marginally better off than your final days with Shaffer.

Best of luck and keep the updates coming.
Marginally better--- not when you really break it down.

I computed an average of 2259 per week from the beginning of 2008 until my leaving Shaffer---- so that's 2259x.465= $1050 week average
and 1 day off per week-- so let's say 4 days off per month.

now so far, here at Heartland-- running a 6 week average of 2347x.43= 1,009.00 per week-
now the home time= 10hrs+42hrs+60hrs+0+48hrs= 160hrs/24hrs= 6.666 days during a 6 week stretch = 1.11 days off per week for 4.44days per month!

just getting the time rationed spread out lot more evenly-- which is nice change, still the other way with 3-4 days off in a row-- it's all in what works for you I guess.

other words-- the grass gets cut more regularly-- and that project car up on blocks outside-- the exposed internal parts-- get re-assembled litter quicker without rusting as much.

maybe, we'll get a good system working out for getting me that regular weekends off/ 2200 miles in 6 days-- and then I'll be able to report a real-- Gold Mine opportunity here. Meanwhile, I'm looking at it as a Safe Harbor for a while to weather out the RECESSION/ storm, after all, I do believe the old style OTR is dead-- staying out for weeks at a time- just to be marginalized/set for weekends with no miles is for the birds.

I'm happy for you, EverT- that you're able to still average those great 3,500 mile weeks--- it really wouldn't be worth it otherwise.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Week#6 Final Figures:

2002 as of Friday night shut down( that's the HHG paid miles) with 53 hours at home( Wednesday Morning 2am- Friday morning 7am)---

Ok more observations:

Inspection Lanes:

As much as I understand and value the practical benefit of these, for they do prevent drivers from fracking over other drivers by bringing in trailers with
missing mud flaps, flat tires, etc and dropping off their problem for someone else to deal with( i.e. loose valuable/productive time), the way Heartland operates these is a serious concern.

Instead of keeping the lane moving, and flagging any trailer repair for another bay-- they hold up the entire show by repairing it -- right there.
With fuel prices as high as they are-- I would think -- there must be a better way.
Suggestion: At terminals where they have enough pavement: North Liberty, Carlisle, Atlanta,-- why not set up an inspection ROW, a place to park( numbered) -- hand the keys in, have the(heaven forbid) mechanics come out with their creepers and inspect Parked trucks-- this way the driver isn't asked to set in the driver's seat(sweating his rear off) with no idling-- waiting, pulling up, 1 truck at a time , in some stupid line.

Maintenance:

Aside from the above issue--- the inspections are helping to keep the equipment in much better shape than lets say--- Crete.
I'll use Crete as a contrast-- since they are the most recent operation I'm familiar with.
The 7am- 5pm Shop hours also help keep things moving too.

For example:

A-Service( grease/lube Job) Heartland - 15 minutes flat( in & out)
Crete-- could be 1/2 a day --easy

B-Service( oil change) Heartland --
I waited 45 minutes( while 4 other trucks were serviced-- then my turn( 45 minutes) so 1.5hrs
Crete-- check in at Noon, 4 trucks ahead at that time/ finished at 11pm( in 15minutes) just at quiting time.

Tuesday, I arrived at the Olive Branch yard-- spent 1 hour getting thru the inspection lane( they found little bitty cracks in trailer brake pads(front axle), spent 1 hour getting New brake pads on that axle--- frankly, impressive they examined these with a pen light--- the brake pads had plenty of service life left-- but New one's installed just the same.
then spent 1.5 hours -(45 minutes waiting/45- getting serviced) for a grand
total of 3.5 hours.

This same service would have cost me an entire day or at least 1/2 day at any Crete yard-- including Ottawa. Ok, maybe Indy would have got me in and out-- but still a marked contrast.

Also, the Ackley Maintenance Dept-- is totally independant of the "chain of command" or at least that's what my Fleet Manager told me--
Not here at Heartland-- the terminal manager is over them. If you're on a "hot" load-- the TM can make a call and get you fast tracked through the shop.

__________________________________________________ ________

Week#7 Begins:

Pendleton, Ky- Washington Court House, Oh- 142
WCH, Oh- Hinsdale, IL- 336
- Rockford, Il- 78
Columbia, Mo- 360( pending)
O'Fallon, Mo- 92(pending)
Davenport, Ia- 232(pending)

for a total of 1240 miles through Monday Noon

Nice that they triple preplan or even quadruple preplan-
though I've noticed you can refuse them( for lack of hours) still they end up on you anyway. They cancel them on you-- then re-send them-- cancel them again--- gets kinda annoying after 3 or 4 times.... seems they can't make up their minds or can't/don't have anyone else willing/able/ in the area.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Rookie

Hey…how do you run your laptop working for Heartland since you are not supposed to use any inverters whatsoever, even a cigarette lighter plug-in 400-watt inverter? I’m curious because I’m considering going regional with them, but I am accustomed to running my laptop for navigation and for the Internet.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivial Pursuit
Hey…how do you run your laptop working for Heartland since you are not supposed to use any inverters whatsoever, even a cigarette lighter plug-in 400-watt inverter? I’m curious because I’m considering going regional with them, but I am accustomed to running my laptop for navigation and for the Internet.
you probably won't be able to use your laptop while moving- unless it's power needs are less than 12V-- many newer laptops require less voltage.

I have a long ext cord.
I keep a pet rat- that runs inside a wheel connected to a generator inside a cage-- I BBQ him right before I go into the terminal( as Pets are also not allowed in trucks). Have you ever tried BBQ rat?

Seriously though, I've found they sell DC adapters that will work -- taking that 12v-- 10amp from a cig socket and cut it down to say 6volt 3.3amp---
you're just gonna have to have a NEW laptop.