User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 05:34 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default The Covenant Experiment...

Well, I started orientation at Covenant Transport last Sunday. And I'm only gonna be with the company a short time and during the entire time I'm gonna document everything and let people know how it is here. So wish me luck on my endeavour...

(Reason for being here a short time: Another OTR company offered me a better paying job with better equipment and better ideals after I do 4 months here)

PS: If there is anything you guys want to know about orientation or anything like that, go ahead and ask. If there is anything I shouldnt put, please tell me now.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:41 PM
Board Regular

I would like to know:
-how they treat you
-whether or not they keep you busy running
-how their equipment is
-whether or not their dispatchers are as bad as everyone says they are

Thanks and good luck.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Good luck Charles

TW
Old 01-24-2008, 03:38 AM
Rookie

Well, so far here is what I have...

On Saturday I got to the Greyhound station here in Claremont, California. And walked to the hotel where they have people set up. Its only a half block away. The hotel they put you up in is really nice. Its just off the 10 freeway at Indian Hill Rd/Blvd or whatever its called. So I had the rest of the day off so I saw what was around me, and there isnt a whole lot activity wise, but shopping wise, there is.

So here is their orientation course that they dont post online anywhere.
================

Orientation Day 1 (SUNDAY)

We are told the day before to report to orientation at 8am and at 8am everyday until orientation ends. They hold their orientation here in Claremont in a Conference Room that has been converted from 3 hotel rooms and looks kinda shotty. Inside there are posters of motivation and the usual "We are #1" stuff. That day began with us having to fill out a hard copy application. And that takes an hour or so to fill out. And they are extrememely picky on how everything is listed and laid out. And they require a notarized letter from a friend, not family, if you're unemployed for times longer than six months and a letter for every time frame of 6 months thereafter, and they cant be the same on two letters.

Before we do the hard copy application, they give us a detailed syllibus for the superceeding 5 days. The first day is for filling out the application, course breifing and room assignements. (the rooms are already assigned the day of check in so all you have to do is let them know which room you will be in). The one thing that they do before you get here is they do NOT allow any, I mean ANY outgoing calls. But they do accept all incoming calls.

When they say they give you free meals, they include the hotels free continential breakfast, and two vouchers. They are both for lunch and dinner. The vouchers are worth $8.50 and are good at Charo Chicken (lunch) and Round Table Pizza (dinner). Round Table is across the street and down a bit but you have to walk a little ways. And their prices are high so you wont get much with the voucher. You can only get a personal pan pizza and a drink.
=================================
Orientation Day 2 (MONDAY)

This day is set aside for the official welcome, physicals, drug screens and road tests. Their welcome is the typical that you see at every company. As for the physicals and drug tests, they are done at a clinic a couple miles away. And if you dont have your long form physical, you're getting a new physical. Also, if you have high blood pressure, you're screwed. They (Covenanat Transport, INC) sends you back home for a couple weeks to get it under control, and if you dont get it under control within 3 different times, they will NOT hire you.

As for the "road test". Their road test isnt sh*t. For their "road test" all you do is go around the block and back. You never get to merge into traffic, make right hand turns in intersections, act like you're hauling hazmat, or get in any major traffic. Their road test is so simple that anyone can do it. I never went above 5th gear when I was on my so called road test. And after the road test is a backing test, where you have to back into a pretend "dock" that is made up of cones. Again, its really easy, I mean its so easy if you cant do it, you shouldnt be behind the wheel.

The also explained some security stuff, but due to me working with them and this being a public forum, I will not divuldge that information.
========================================
Orientation Day 3 (TUESDAY)

Today we did a Hazmat course, saftety breifing, the "smith" system and rules and regulations. Today was pretty much self explanitory. But the "Smith" System they didnt go into too much, althought they said that it is a requirement that has to be completed within 90 days of hire. If you go to the 91st day, you get suspended without pay and no they dont care where you're at..
============================================

Orientation Day 4 (Wednesday)

This day was pretty long, it covered Log books, comdata, payroll, insurance, and other associated paper work, along with the Benevolance Fund, Evaluations (evaluations=missing information in paperwork and stuff of that nature). Their log book course was short, and I mean short. It lasted all but maybe 45 minutes. And the company requires that you log everything, no matter what it is.

When we had to fill out the 8 days prior form, we had to transfer it on to logs. Nothing new right, but instead of being professional and telling us what timezone to use, she says mark it for 8 am California time. So everyone screws up because she doesnt tell them that they are headquarterd in Chattanooga, Tennessee which is 3 hours ahead. So we all have screw ups with our logs. (that alone irritates the crap outta me because thats the last thing I need is a mark or anything that shows I made an error because that will make my log look crappy and unkempt)

So when it gets to today, we fill out for today, but at the end, she hands us all trip pack envelopes for our logs. But get this, she has us turn in our log books before midnight and acknowledged that its illegal. I mean OUT LOUD says that its illegal and "has had too many problems in the past on getting them in on Thursday, so I collect them on Wednesday". Which is utter BS! The law is the law, you cant sugar coat it in this industry but she is..... WTF!!!!!!!! Oh well, I'm only going to be with the company until May anyways, so I'll make the best of it.
============================================

Orientation Day 5 (Thursday)

Thursday hasnt arrived yet, but I wont be able to post this tomorrow because I might be on the road hopefully. But it has assignements and qalifications. Plus all drivers have to be checked outta their hotel rooms by 12 noon that day.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Alrighty now, here is my personal synopis of what I think about this company. Is this company bad, I dont think so, but only time will tell. So far, they have an extremely laxed attitude with some stuff that should be taken seriously. The person that does the orientation, her attitude is kinda crappy at the start, she appears to be a hardline trucker. However thats only her, she herself has only driven truck for one year. And owned her own business for much longer. And a few things I've learned about this company in the last couple days:

-If you dont bring back the remains from the blow out tires on your tractor and/or trailer, the driver will be charged $100 for some stupid reasons.
-If you have a chargeable accident, they take $500 out of the Drivers settlement pay and depending on the cirucumstances, they will let fire you and take your check.
-Also, you have to have a broom on your truck at all times so that you can sweep your trailers out after every stop.
-You have to provide your own padlocks for your loads and its a reimbursable expense provided you have a reciept
-The do not provide drivers with Toll Cards for the Ohio Turnpike, if you have to go on any toll roads, you either have to pay cash or use the EZ Pass or PrePass. And if you pay cash, get a reciept or you wont be paid back.
-The do not allow their drivers to drive on ice, and it doesnt matter where you're at. If you have to put chains on, you have to send a macro to your Fleet Manager to authorize it for certian circumstances.
-The do allow pets ( a dog and a domestic cat), but be prepared to pay a NON-refundable $500 deposit.
-You're not allowed to bobtail anywhere without any permission at any time unless you have authorization from your fleet manager.
-If you have a passenger with a CDL and they dont work for Covenant, you have to have their CDL sent to their safety department until that driver gets off the truck. If you have an unauthorized passenger and they find out, the will fire you on the spot.
-If you do a U-turn, and are caught, you'll be fired.
-Dont come into this expecting to go solo if you are from Washington State. They dont have a whole lot of dedicated accounts in that area so most likely you'll be in Teams. Speaking of teams, you dont get to pick your team driver unless you are a couple both working for Covenant. So if you have a woman/man or other and they dont like you talking to or in the same space as a person of the opposite sex, there might be a problem. So if your religion doesnt allow you to be in a vehicle with a person of the opposite sex, make sure they know before you come here.
-Their equipment is in okay shape, could be better though. Their vehicles are mostly dirty in the Pomona yard, so if you like your stuff clean, you will have to take it to a truck wash or wash it at home or one of their "terminals"
-Of all the terminals that Covenant Transport, INC has, only one is open 24 hours. The rest are all Monday through Friday 8am to 5pm local time.
-As for mileage, I've been told that teams can run anywhere from 5200 to 6000 miles a week, but only time with the company will tell. I have to see it to believe it. So I will keep you all posted.
-Under no circumstances will they send you on your home time under a load.
-As for how their dispatchers/fleet managers/driver managers are, I'll have to get back to you guys on that. I havent dealt with them yet.
-When you start with Covenant, dont expect to be paid that following week, you get paid two weeks later for the orientation pay and every week after provided you have your trip pack paperwork in before Monday at 5pm EST.

Thats what I have so far, if there is anything I havent added, please go ahead and ask, I'll see if I can answer it.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
If you dont bring back the remains from the blow out tires on your tractor and/or trailer, the driver will be charged $100 for some stupid reasons.
That is because that carcase may be worth money on a road hazard warranty. Also trucking companies get price breaks from tire manufacturers to participate in studies they do to try to improve the life and reliability of the tires and being able to examine a tire that fails is very important to those studies. When drivers do not bring back the dead and fallen the trucking company can loose money.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:13 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:
If you dont bring back the remains from the blow out tires on your tractor and/or trailer, the driver will be charged $100 for some stupid reasons.
That is because that carcase may be worth money on a road hazard warranty. Also trucking companies get price breaks from tire manufacturers to participate in studies they do to try to improve the life and reliability of the tires and being able to examine a tire that fails is very important to those studies. When drivers do not bring back the dead and fallen the trucking company can loose money.
thanks for the added information, they didnt go into detail about it.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:44 PM

?? what's up w/ that??
Old 01-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtFoxx
?? what's up w/ that??
Safety first!
Old 01-24-2008, 05:27 PM

There are better trucking companies you could get started with, with better overall rules, policies and benefits.....you should have done more homework....some of these policies and practices you speak of are unfair and unacceptable........Good Luck!
The Show is on the road! 600K and rollin on
Wildturkey & Blue Skyzzzz
Old 01-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Rookie

I'm looking at this job right now as a stepping stone for something better.