User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 08:20 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Anyone with info on companies with decent benefits package

After a year of being off the road I have decided to go back on the road. Looking at Hirscbach, FFE, and Lisa Trucking for right now. Anyone with any ideas of a better company that would take someone with a 10 year job history with 10 jobs? Looking for the insurance package to be the majority issue this time as wife is diabetic.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Rookie

If i were you i would fill out an online application here at classadrivers and let the companies mail you info packets. A career in trucking is a major commitment and should not be taken lightly. i would then spread them out on the kitchen table and narrow it down to the top 5. . . pick up the phone and call each one. NO matter whom you choose the cost of medical insurance will be expensive and will continue to rise. Companies will change insurance carriers every year if it means getting a better rate and that will upset even the most understanding of wives. After you spoke to the company...track down as many drivers from that company that you can and fire off your top five questions. This will give you a true balance of info. Good Luck.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron
If i were you i would fill out an online application here at classadrivers and let the companies mail you info packets. A career in trucking is a major commitment and should not be taken lightly. i would then spread them out on the kitchen table and narrow it down to the top 5. . . pick up the phone and call each one. NO matter whom you choose the cost of medical insurance will be expensive and will continue to rise. Companies will change insurance carriers every year if it means getting a better rate and that will upset even the most understanding of wives. After you spoke to the company...track down as many drivers from that company that you can and fire off your top five questions. This will give you a true balance of info. Good Luck.
What Blue Heron said. I would also add... take a lot of time to do the research. I spent about 3 months on my last change and actually came across the carrier I decided to go with within the last 3 weeks of that. If you jump at the first deal that looks good, you are really spinning the roulette wheel. I kept calling back to the companies I was looking at and firing off another question or two. If you got 10 years driving, you should know how freight runs, which customers are better, what is realistic for miles each week, etc. The customer base is critical to how you will like a carrier.

Good Luck!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Rookie
Default Maybe...

So very true. I do know about the freight changes. I have been driving truck since 1983 off and on. So, yes, I do know. I have got it narrowed to three companies and have got confirmation to go to orientation to one-FFE. Mid-west division to about 8 surrounding states of Iowa.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:20 AM
Senior Board Member

If you want a decent benefit package you should look into LTL or any unionized outfit.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: Anyone with info on companies with decent benefits packa

Most of the Bulk companies have relatively inexpensive and comprehensive medical benefits. Look out for pre-existing clauses.

Falcon was inexpensive, but you aren't in their hiring area.

10 jobs in 10 years - you are a model of stability!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee50
After a year of being off the road I have decided to go back on the road. Looking at Hirscbach, FFE, and Lisa Trucking for right now. Anyone with any ideas of a better company that would take someone with a 10 year job history with 10 jobs? Looking for the insurance package to be the majority issue this time as wife is diabetic.
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Rookie

bumblebee50 wrote:
Anyone with any ideas of a better company that would take someone with a 10 year job history with 10 jobs?

:shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll:
When you look at all the posts here from decent drivers with stability and they have a hard time finding good companies all I can say for you...
Good luck at getting a job with intigrity, let alone a decent benefit package...
Might want to grab the company that will put you back in a truck and just stay there for a while...
BOL
Old 01-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Rookie
Default years in service

Yes I know my job history stinks to high heaven. I wasn't exactly looking for the right outfit to belong to back then as I am now. Made some real bad choices and there where times I thought the grass was alot greener across the fence, if ya know what I mean. Making up for my past is going to be hard to do so I ain't even going to try but I am going to try to make a better decision this time.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: years in service

10 Jobs in 10 Years isn't bad. Especially, if you have a few dirt bags on your resume. It depends on the individual.

If you left each company with a similar problem you might get flagged as a problem. But, if you left for the run of the mill reasons you won't have a problem.

I've only been at this 19-months. I am on company #4. It doesn't seem to matter. I'm with a decent company and plan to "hang around as long you will let me..." But, nothing woud stop me from moving on to a better opportunity.

It's the new paradigm. There is no loyalty on either side of the aisle. We are all free-agents. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee50
Yes I know my job history stinks to high heaven. I wasn't exactly looking for the right outfit to belong to back then as I am now. Made some real bad choices and there where times I thought the grass was alot greener across the fence, if ya know what I mean. Making up for my past is going to be hard to do so I ain't even going to try but I am going to try to make a better decision this time.
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.