LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmaster
the best post i have ever read, keep them coming
I agree too, please keep 'em coming. and keep rolling.

I enjoyed the Clyde story too, and think your "style" of running hard vs the
leveled out 8.75 everyday does get "these" results---just wish we had freight
like Crete's(open window delivery) over here at Shaffer that we could do more 34hr restarts with.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
Well, I'm sorry to report....I'm starting to question these numbers.

I drive for Shaffer-- and wanted to get one of these print out reports like you
produced in post#1.

Was told Crete/Shaffer doesn't provide any such report/table---showed this web site to the Crete fleet manager/terminal manager in Cheyenne, Wy and asked if they'd ever seen such a "report" they said no.

They were also very suprised to see the "grand total" of 139,000 miles---and
suggested I look at the miles that "Driver of the Year" last year reported---he's the top mile getter for 2007.

So far, you've reported this year--dead of winter--freight dead, 2700, 3800?, 3900?---- Don't use so much grease on these newbies---Crete's a great place to work-- if they want to come ...they'll come.

Sorry headborg,

First of all, I don't believe a Shaffer driver can come anywhere near these numbers. To many live loads/unloads and middle of the night appointments that will slow you down. That is the main reason I chose to no longer pull a refer. In general, they are a pain in the a**

I forgot to tell you I'm a truck driving god!

It was 139,453 miles, you shorted me.

I also have the lowest idling % and one of the highest MPG in the national fleet for no other reason than I want that distinction.

I strive to be the absolute best wherever I happen to work, whatever that work may be. It's a pride thing.

If you happen to read the last thoughts of the 3rd week post you will see that I have never had two consecutive weeks work out like this before(I have had individual weeks like this though). I also stated that I don't necessarily expect it to continue at this pace(But I will do everything in my power to facilitate the possibility).

Please check out Driver of the Month, Spartanburg terminal for April of 2007. By the way, I believe you can only get driver of the month once a year, so I won't hold it against the company.

I don't think driver of the year has been determined yet, at least they haven't called me. Who knows.

As far as the print out report goes, it's my own spread sheet. A bit anal retentive, perhaps, but I like to track my progress.

The numbers I report are 100% accurate. Do you actually think I would put that kind of effort into a false spreed sheet, and then go on to explain in detail my last three weeks if it where BS. What purpose could that possibly have. I have no reason to lie. I can produce endless support for all claims. I have every BOL, log sheet and detailed records of every stop I've made down to the minute for years in the past.

Those who can do, those who can't, well, they accuse me of lying.

I'll put up any wager you or anyone else wants to challenge me with, especially you because I'm sure you could confirm these numbers through your terminal manager. Just PM me and I'll be happy to send you my Driver Code, name, and truck number. I have never posted that information on this board and won't do it here because I don't want to be accused of digging for referrals. If someone wants to give me one, they can ask me and I'd be happy to oblige(I hope at lease one persons gets that), but if it makes you feel better that has happened once since I started with Crete.

I do this simply because I'm board and this job definitely lacks social interaction and message boards seem to be as close as I can come to normal communication. Shipping dock personnel don't count, and in all honesty, truckstop conversations can be a bit challenging at times. It's seems truckdrivers have a well deserved reputation. Not pointing fingers at anyone on the boards, I referring more to the individuals that don't have a firm grasp on the whole internet thing that seem to populate these fine establishments.

As far as the "They will come comment". I have no doubt that they will, many will do so because of the comments that I and others have posted about Crete. As a matter of fact, if anyone from Crete actually reads these threads, I would expect them to track me down, say thanks and hand over a big check. But that hasn't happened.

It would obviously be more self serving to keep my mouth shut about Crete. After all, fewer drivers mean more loads for me. But that's just not the way that I think.

With that said, let me know how much money you want to lose and make that bet. I accept Paypal.

Rock and Roll

[email protected]
Old 01-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

produced in post#1.

Was told Crete/Shaffer doesn't provide any such report/table---showed this web site to the Crete fleet manager/terminal manager in Cheyenne, Wy and asked if they'd ever seen such a "report" they said no.

suggested I look at the miles that "Driver of the Year" last year reported---he's the top mile getter for 2007.

So far, you've reported this year--dead of winter--freight dead, 2700, 3800?, 3900?---- Don't use so much grease on these newbies---Crete's a great place to work-- if they want to come ...they'll come.
I love it when people like you get upset when others are doing better than you. For your information I left the house late in the afternoon of 12/27. When I deliver the load I am under in Loxley, Al. Wed morning at 0700 I will have a total of 14,272 miles in one day less than 4 weeks. That includes 3 of my last five loads being under 400 miles each. Evertruckerr is right. How you run makes all the difference in the world. I picked up a Kal Kan load in Matoon Il. Sat aft about 1700. Three Crete trucks had left that facility within the last two hours b4 I got there. All of us were going to Obetz (Columbus) Oh. for anytime Sun deliveries. I drove Sat until I ran out of hours got up at 0500 and was in Obetz b4 any of the drivers who had left Matoon b4 me. I ended up getting the next to last load available that day. It was only 350 miles to Hagerstown, Md. but it delivered first thing this morning. Got mt, deadheaded to Baltimore, and am sitting in Kannapolis, NC. for the night. The drivers who got to Obetz after me either had to wait till this morning for a load or take a load sitting in the yard, none of which delivered b4 Tues and none had more than 500 miles on it. You have to make it work for yourself. If you wait for somebody else to work it for you you'll be one of the many drivers averaging 2500-2700 miles/week every week year around.

Crete doesn't provide the table that Evertruckrr posted. He took the time to put it together himself. When he mentioned that the Crete system was down so he was unable to get his end of the year figures he meant the qualcomm system wasn't able to get payroll info.

It amazes me how people are so willing to believe everything they here when somebody bitches but when somebody posts something positive about the company they work for they get a ration of shit.

The only thing Evertruckerr posted that I would differ with is the idea that you do better with weekly resets than if you drive the 8.75 hours/day theory. I have tried both and have concluded that while there might be a slight gain in miles doing the reset thing, its not enough to really make a difference. The problem with the reset theory is that the loads you get have to fit perfectly into the system. Sometimes that happens, a lot of the time it doesn't.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?
Old 01-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Senior Board Member

I see Evertruckerr posted his response while I was typing mine, damn you! :wink:

As far as annual miles go his are attainable. I know because I have attained them. Was a little short last year but I also took 2 weeks vacation. Had I driven those two weeks I probably would have beaten him last year (not by much). I also agree that these kinds of numbers are nearly impossible for a Schaffer driver to get for the reasons already stated.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:43 AM

If I were able to stay out 2-3 weeks at a time I would be on Cretes National Fleet in a heartbeat, as long as they would hire me.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:44 AM
Board Regular

Karnajj wrote:

Quote:
The only thing Evertruckerr posted that I would differ with is the idea that you do better with weekly resets than if you drive the 8.75 hours/day theory. I have tried both and have concluded that while there might be a slight gain in miles doing the reset thing, its not enough to really make a difference. The problem with the reset theory is that the loads you get have to fit perfectly into the system. Sometimes that happens, a lot of the time it doesn't.
Well said, and I will disagree right back at you. I will alway maintain that resets will increase your mileage. But the wonderful thing is, we are both free to operate in whatever manner we want. And yes, the loads do have to fit perfectly, and the last two weeks have been a string of perfect loads like nothing I've seen B4. I am sure the future weekly updates will give me the opportunity to point out some of Crete's shortcomings. YUP, they have them too.

[email protected]
Old 01-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evertruckerr
Karnajj wrote:

Quote:
Well said, and I will disagree right back at you. I will alway maintain that resets will increase your mileage. But the wonderful thing is, we are both free to operate in whatever manner we want. And yes, the loads do have to fit perfectly, and the last two weeks have been a string of perfect loads like nothing I've seen B4. I am sure the future weekly updates will give me the opportunity to point out some of Crete's shortcomings. YUP, they have them too.
How dare you disagree with me about disagreeing with you about disagreeing with .... er, well you get the point. :wink:

Old 01-22-2008, 03:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
Quote:

produced in post#1.

I love it when people like you get upset when others are doing better than you. For your information I left the house late in the afternoon of 12/27. When I deliver the load I am under in Loxley, Al. Wed morning at 0700 I will have a total of 14,272 miles in one day less than 4 weeks. That includes 3 of my last five loads being under 400 miles each. Evertruckerr is right. How you run makes all the difference in the world. I picked up a Kal Kan load in Matoon Il. Sat aft about 1700. Three Crete trucks had left that facility within the last two hours b4 I got there. All of us were going to Obetz (Columbus) Oh. for anytime Sun deliveries. I drove Sat until I ran out of hours got up at 0500 and was in Obetz b4 any of the drivers who had left Matoon b4 me. I ended up getting the next to last load available that day. It was only 350 miles to Hagerstown, Md. but it delivered first thing this morning. Got mt, deadheaded to Baltimore, and am sitting in Kannapolis, NC. for the night. The drivers who got to Obetz after me either had to wait till this morning for a load or take a load sitting in the yard, none of which delivered b4 Tues and none had more than 500 miles on it. You have to make it work for yourself. If you wait for somebody else to work it for you you'll be one of the many drivers averaging 2500-2700 miles/week every week year around.

Crete doesn't provide the table that Evertruckrr posted. He took the time to put it together himself. When he mentioned that the Crete system was down so he was unable to get his end of the year figures he meant the qualcomm system wasn't able to get payroll info.

It amazes me how people are so willing to believe everything they here when somebody bitches but when somebody posts something positive about the company they work for they get a ration of $&!+.

@Karnajj you're the only one making assumptions, (1) I'm not upset
(2) You're only assuming I'm not doing as well as he or you
(3) I went looking for a "report" like his---to show MY stats-- but, couldn't find anything like that----so, my wife is home right now going through all te payroll settlements- and creating one in Works.

@Evertruckerr- what program may I ask do you use to keep all this data- so neatly organized?--- I loved the report! Very well organized.

@back to Karnajj
Evertruckerr never said he Wasn't in the Running for Driver of the Year or going to Win either---the ladies in Cheyenne might not have a single driver from their terminal whom ever come close to 139,000 miles( didn't short him as much that time). And he did say-- He's Driver of the Month April 2007-- so now if I ever get through Spartanburg-----I'll solve the ID issue.

@back to Evertruckerr

yes, dry freight does allow many more chances for Drop/Hook and open window appointments-- and thus more flex to do the 34hr resets
but even as your Report from last year reveals--- 50% of your loads, the length of haul was only 500-1000; from just looking at those in the table--looks like maybe 700mile average. There's not much room for reseting with 50% overnight freight.

Looks like you're already off to beat last years numbers --you reported only 1 or 2 loads with length of haul over 1500?? and you've already met that in this first month alone. Could be a record year in store for you.

Sorry I impugned your Honor Comrade, but we both know there are many Professional Recruiters that Troll this site--posing as Drivers to do just 1 thing--recruit drivers. And yes, Crete should send money your way for doing this tread. And I do home many drivers will benifit from your examples--of what can be done. It was just starting to look like the BS was getting deep-- and if you were going to post that next week you ran 4200 miles( in 6 days with a reset making up the last 1.5days in a 65mph truck and logged it legal--I was gonna scream that something was rotten in denmark) Like you said, most drivers are not literate enough to post/ enjoy Internet Message boards----So, I'm sorry again-- your writing is top caliber( made you look even more like maybe a Desk Jocky-Recruiter-- feeding folks even bigger tails)

You're right about Reefer not being able to do these kinds of miles( at Crete with their (1) no sleeper split (2) completely legal matching sat
(3) in a 65mph truck.

The last time I ever ran 150,000 miles in a year--- it was at Asche Transfer driving a 75mph Peterbuilt 379 pulling a reefer-- and buying new comic books every week. And that was at .32 cent a mile.

Last year, I believe I just cleared 58,000.00 @ .465 per mile and only ran
125,000 miles-- and was home a lot with Shaffer.
So my hat's off to you--you are a hard worker/runner.
I'll post my stuff( in another thread ) when I get the spreadsheet finished.

No hard feelings?
Old 01-22-2008, 03:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Karnajj wrote:

Quote:

I'm with Evertrucker on this issue--that's why I'm soooo glad the FMCSA didn't take it away/kill the reset. That's what I was refering to by wishing
Shaffer had more drop/hook Open window appointment---- We can only reset If there's enough room in the schedule--too bad we can't communicate this with the planners Before they book/get the schedule made. I too understand the loads have to 'fit' perfectly to make this a practical possibility----that's one of the reasons I was getting skaptical.

@Evertrucker---did you by any chance buy many lotto tickets last two weeks? Check em!?? You're on a roll.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnajj
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarshort
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHG0069
To the "Newbie" drivers that will be reading this. Please take into account that this driver worked extremely hard often staying out MONTHS at a time. It takes a very dedicated individual to do this and I applaud his hard work.

If I ever decide to go back to a real OTR company, CRETE will be my first application. Sounds and looks like they treat you well for the work that you do.

Looks like you should take a nice two month vacation to Bangkok Thailand and spend a few thousand of that hard earned cash. :twisted:
You said it, I stay on the road for extended periods of time, but I do that so I can stay at home longer when I'm there.

What the chart doesn't show is the numerous extended restarts that I took (two days and one night type)on the road. These times were often spent in places like the French Quarter in New Orleans; Kittery, ME(there is nothing like a fresh lobster just of the boat); Las Vegas; Portland, OR; Phoenix, AZ(80 in Feb); South Beach, FL; Gulf Coast, San Antonio, TX; Chicago, IL(go Cubs); ETC.

Any major city has rental car companies that will come and pick you up and bring you back to your truck. I alway have a laptop with me and get great rates at 1st rate hotels and resorts through Priceline and Hotwire. I've been able to travel all over this country and see things on a regular bases that just wouldn't be possible working behind a desk. And I'm doing it on Crete's dime.

Quote:
Yes I ran hard to make that pay. That's my style, I love to run hard. If I'm going to be stuck in this truck, I want it to be moving and making money. I don't think twice about working a 14hr day. The info only shows that it is possible to make good $ for those like me that love to run hard and play hard in between. The nice part about Crete is you don't have to run that hard. The way their loads are set up you can easily run 2500 miles a week or less, be home more often, and still make 50K year with little effort.
It's what you make of it, much liKE life.

Live it, Love it
Well I don't know if I agree about the "running hard" statement. If you only go home 53 days a year and only run 139,000 miles I wouldn't call it "running hard." I would call it a person that doesn't mind camping out anywhere in the country rather that being home.

Myself....I am home a minimum of 100 days per year and usually run about 155,000 miles a year. To me that's "running hard."

But as long as you are happy doing it your way good for you. What seems to be killing your overall potential is those 300-500 mile runs, when you should be running 600 miles a day.
I've said it before and I'm saying it again, your full of crap if you think anybody will believe that you can get those kind of miles and still be home 100 days a year. That's nearly 600 miles per day every single day you are out. When you factor in down time (truck maintenance, weather, traffic etc) it ends up being more than that. I don't buy it. Not now, not ever.
Seems we believe something else too--above.
I also doubt anyone can run 155,000 miles solo in 265.14 days in a year.
That's 584 miles a day...everyday for a total of 4088 miles every week---

even if he can physically handle that & loose leaf fudge the logbook-
I don't believe any company could sustain that kind of freight tempo.