LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR SILVER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator
I work local for Sysco, back kills me, but I made over 50k last year. And I work four days a week. If it wasn't for the horrendous physical side to the job I'd stay for twenty years. I doubt I'll make it that long though. :?
are all the terminals on a 4 day work week(for drivers)?
That's a good question. In the summer I work five days, since my seniority is low. And really busy up here with tourists. But normally I'm four days a week. Not sure on other states.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator
I work local for Sysco, back kills me, but I made over 50k last year. And I work four days a week. If it wasn't for the horrendous physical side to the job I'd stay for twenty years. I doubt I'll make it that long though. :?
Well, you can throw groceries for a while, and if a linehaul position comes open, you can put in your 20 years. :P That's what I did. In March, I be with SYSCO for 5 years, and I've been running linehaul since, January 05. I may have to run a route every once in a while, if one of the guys takes off or something. (once every few months) I dont miss throwing groceries. :P
That would be my goal if I stayed with them. But like I said before, I'd probably have to transfer to get a line haul job with them. Which I may do some day. How are things with them down in TX? I'd like to see the huge warehouses and that of Houston.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Board Icon

Yeah, I work for Watson/SYSCO in Lubbock. (Tx) It was Watson Foods, and then SYSCO bought them out.

SYSCO Dallas is huge!! :P

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 02-02-2008, 11:10 PM

Josborn,

I too have enjoyed your return. This is good stuff. Especially for those that might be interested in running fuel.

Jackrabbit -
I too was in the lumper service with Mclane. Their grocery division not food service. I was 29 when I started, I used to laugh at the "old" guys with all their aches and pains. I went 10 years running the ramp and soon had my own pains. Still suffer from a right shoulder that has its own pains, some days very painful. But the money was great while it lasted.

Be safe everyone!!
Old 02-03-2008, 02:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josborn
Hello folks.

Well, today is payday. And for the first time, it is a guarantee payday. This means that during the pay period, I did not get enough loads to go over $1500. So this is what it looks like on my pay sheet.

Guarantee pay = $1500.00

Now this is for the period of Jan. 16th - Jan. 31st, with the payday being Jan. 31st. This pay period is for 10 days of work, and 6 days off. It has been rather slow these last two week, with around 42-45 hours each week.

So this is the guarantee pay. And I got paid. Not much more I can say for that. :wink:

I hope this helps out anyone who is looking into this line of work.

BTW, it's seems that EXXON drivers are paid the most, and have the best benefits. This is according to my boss. It's also very hard to get into EXXON, with a very long list of drivers wanting to drive there. At least that is what I was told.

I hope everyone is having a good day. Be safe out there. :wink:
I'm not on that list of drivers wanting to drive for Exxon. I turned down their job offer in 05. I do not have any desire to haul gas anymore...had enough of it. I especially don't care to haul gas in the Houston market.

Exxon drivers have the same pay and bennies as do Chevron and BP drivers.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:25 AM
Board Icon

Yeah, Preacher, it can get to ya, after a long time of throwing groceries. :lol:

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 02-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Cluggy, how is the fuel hauling going? Still slow right now?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan
Cluggy, how is the fuel hauling going? Still slow right now?
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Yes, it's still slow right now. On the 15th, I got another guarantee check of $1500. I figured it will remain slow for awhile.

On the 23rd, on my way out of the yard, a small GMC pick-up was turning the corner, slid into my lane, and hit my truck head on. Jarred the truck abit, and bounced me around pretty badly. You would think that a Peterbuit could take a better hit than that. Anyways, I'm off duty until my sprain neck heals. Hopefully, that won't take long. The doc put me on light duty, but without having to lift anything, I don't see what I can do. So I guess I'll be off for awhile.

I'll keep you all informed. :wink:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 03-04-2008, 02:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Ok....another payday. However, this payday is a little different. I only worked half of a pay period due to the accident on the 23rd. I have been off since the 23rd, and I guess I'll be waiting for workmans comp. to kick in.

Pay period of Feb. 16th - Feb. 29th, 2008

12 loads
8 splits/diversions
2 hours waiting time

Total pay = $799.00

This is for 5 days of work. The rest of my pay has not been calculated by workmans comp. , or at least they haven't told me yet.

I will let you know when the workmans comp. kicks in. It should be 70% of my normal weekly pay....

I figured last 13 weeks averaged out to around $830.00 per week. So 70% of that should be around $581.00 per week. I still have to see what they come up with. They may try to low-ball me, but I'm not sure. I have 3 weeks of physical therapy to do. Until that is done, the doctor will not loosen the restrictions that I'm currently on. So my company will not allow me to drive or come to work until that is over, and the doctor says it's ok for me to work.

So I get to sit at home, and go nuts. :lol: :lol:

And this will be my pay for the month of March. Oh well, at least I'll have a job to go back to when it's over.

I hope everyone is driving safely tonight.....we are getting some snow in Texas.

Chat with ya'll later. :wink:

ADDED 03/05/2008: I just got off the phone with the adjuster. My WC check is only going to be around $540.05 per week.:cry: That means that they only figured that I make $771.50 per week for income if they are paying me 70% of my income......

However, if they are only paying 60%, then they figured my income to be $900.08 per week, which is closer to the truth. I asked what percentage they are paying me, but received no answer. I guess $540 will have to do.

It's a good thing I live cheap. :lol: :lol:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'