User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehedgecock
Yea, I think they said that 30 some % of thier freight is from CAT.
CAT owns 51% of Star Transportation, so they keep you pretty busy with the CAT freight. CAT, Pactiv, Morton Salt, Georgia Pacific and Home Depot are the other main company's they haul for.

I assume you live in Cincinnati? I live over in Marietta and they got me home EVERY weekend (one huge plus about Star, Home time). So I would think you should have a great chance of getting home most every weekend? I made OK money with them, but they kept me in a very nice truck and got me home every weekend so I couldn't complain too much. The only downside for me was they push you pretty hard to run. For some that might be a good thing but it burnt me out on the OTR.

I didn't have a "dedicated" run but I pretty much did the same runs every week and I averaged 3,000+ miles a week.

BOL, If you have any other questions I can try to answer. I still talk pretty frequently to a buddy I went through CDL school with. He's still with Star after 3 years.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:10 AM
Rookie
Default Re: Driver Solutions -> Star Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbadriver
Driver Solutions + Star = Lots of vasilene
Good luck. Numb your mind for a year.
As much as your right, it could have been worse. I could of been at CR England or Schnieder. I understand that I am lower payed than most, but Im happy with that. Not to many companies will keep in you in brand new trucks and change you over every 500k miles. Im sure that being home almost every weekend is a bad thing too, ummm yea. I think I did fairly well given the options that I had.

Oh, and before anyone says "You'll find out otherwise!" to all the stuff I just said, I beg you to reconsider. Out of probably 30 drivers I have talk to so far have confirmed it. I talk to new drivers, and old drivers. All of which said that they normally get home on weekends, and they get thier different trucks at 500k, among other nice perks. They're not doing that bad either in terms of making a living. Sure, it could be better, but I can either do this, or make 7.50/hour flipping burgers at McDonalds, so which would you choose.

@ben45750

Appreicate the offer for knowledge. I always like hearing others expierences with different things, and if its something that I am doing myself, I stand up and listen intenativley.

My first time behind thier wheels was coming out of Indianapolis on my way home for christmas. I was more or less hitching a ride with a driver as I couldnt get placed with a trainer in time for the weekend. I was ok'ed to drive if I wanted to and once we got to Indy, we had to swap loads with someone that was hauling a Pactiv load. I ended up getting to drive it on out of Indy down to Cincy. It was a very light load, 9k I think, so I didnt complain.

My hardest part so far is getting used to the 13 speeds. I was trained on 10 speeds, and gear recovery and what not on those, and getting ahold of a decent transmission has been a daunting task. I can do it, its just not pretty.

Overall, I plan on sticking my 1 year with Star regardless as to how they treat me. If things are good, I will more than likey stick with them for a while. I dont want to be jumping companies every year, just to make a few thousand more per year. I will make life fine on what they pay me, so long as its not negatives, and If I need more, I need to adjust my lifestyle versus my job. I been a job hopper all my working life, and at 23, I can choose to still do it, or to settle down and "settle" or somehting others will not. Someone has to work it ya know. Someone has to do the work that no one else wants to do, and I am more than happy to do it.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:42 AM
Rookie

attn Ben: I would Pm you but

Sorry, but the administrator has prevented you from sending private messages or you have under 50 posts.
Any spam attempt will fail
If you try, your account will be DISABLED.

I get alot of BS from this board...

Anyway, saw you live in Marietta. I live in Parkersburg and drive for sni. Would like to talk to you about star and who you drive for now. Try to send me a PM and I'll try to reply.