Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleypiper
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsyrob
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2189
They must be keeping u busy do you know if there buying new internationals or going another route. Sweet your getting a 08, are they staying with 10 speeds stay safe
Rumor around our shop is that the new trucks will be Volvo's
Nope, Internationals
Well i had my meeting with Frank Pike in Rahway.Real nice guy like you said alittle out there, but aren't we all he took my infomation they have to do back round check and he told me to call at the end of next week.Let me ask you a question.You start at 41.5 cpm, but is that top pay he didn't say also if you have a break down do you get the hourly rate.It seemed to me like we hit it off good but who knows .He told me i will be out 5 to 7 days depending how busy it is .This is all new to me i have a 2 year old at home also have to talk it over with the oldlady so will see .So how did your week go. Also there tractors were spotless and there tanks to. That impressed me.Sorry to be all over the place Anyway enjoy the weekend.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quick update...

Hope y'all are doing fine today. Just wanted to throw some numbers up for the first couple of weeks so far this year. This week is going to be very nice as well (three Huntsville loads). Gotta run stir the pot elsewhere for now. I'll be back later...

Week 1
-From time off at home to Valparaiso, IN (hook preloaded tank)
-Valpo, IN to Bristol, VA (customer unload)
-Bristol, VA to Valpo, IN (drop dirty tank, hook preloaded tank)
-----Valpo, IN to Huntsville, AL (customer unload)
-----Huntsville, AL to Westville, IN (drop dirty tank)
Gross: $2,427.88
Hub Miles: 2,313
Avg.: $1.049/mile

Week 2
-Westville, IN (hook preloaded tank)
-Westville, IN to Plymouth, IN (driver unload)
-Plymouth, IN to Westville, IN (drop dirty tank, wash truck pump, hook preloaded tank)
-----Westville, IN to Minneapolis, MN (driver unload)
-----Minneapolis, MN to Westville, IN (drop dirty tank, wash truck pump)
-Westville, IN to Valparaiso, IN (hook clean tank)
-Valpo, IN to Channahon, IL (live load)
-Channahon, IL to Valpo, IN (drop loaded tank)
-----Valpo, IN to Westville, IN (hook preloaded tank)
-----Westville, IN to Bristol, VA (customer unload)
-----Bristol, VA to Valpo, IN (drop dirty tank)
Gross: $3,450.27
Hub Miles: 2,417
Avg.: $1.427

Superior Carriers, (Dedicated Account) Independent Contractor Totals, January 1st to January 13th, 2008:
Gross: $5,878.15
Hub Miles: 4,752 (ALL ODOMETER miles off-duty and on-duty.)
Loaded Miles: 2,255 (47%)
Empty Miles: 2,497 (53%)
Avg.: $1.236/mile
Days Working: 9 (69%)
Days Off: 4 (31%)

Y'all take care and be safe :wink:

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 01-19-2008, 12:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Rich, there is no top mileage pay. Everyone here makes the same rate of pay regardless if the most inexperienced driver or the most senior. What you make is dependent upon how hard you want to work and, how well you utilize the system. Yes, for breakdown, you immediately go on the clock at the normal hourly rate. Everything concerning pay is in all of the info I have provided at the beginning of this thread. If there is any kind of waiting period for a pay item I have it listed. If there is no time allotment given, you are immediately on the clock. :wink:

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 01-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Board Regular
Default Going Crazy @ Superior

I really enjoy working at Superior. But the company is driving me crazy.

One week I pack for a short week (week of New Years Day). I end up out 10-days. The next week I pack to "hit the road" I end up leaving Monday afternoon and am home Thursday night.

Friday, I still don't know what I am doing on Monday. Everyone else seems to have loads and are leaving Sunday, or Monday AM.

Is this just the luck of the draw? Or because I am pretty low on the seniority pole?

Or should I just be happy/lucky I got 2000-miles in 3.5 days work?

Any comments welcome.
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide
Rich, there is no top mileage pay. Everyone here makes the same rate of pay regardless if the most inexperienced driver or the most senior. What you make is dependent upon how hard you want to work and, how well you utilize the system. Yes, for breakdown, you immediately go on the clock at the normal hourly rate. Everything concerning pay is in all of the info I have provided at the beginning of this thread. If there is any kind of waiting period for a pay item I have it listed. If there is no time allotment given, you are immediately on the clock. :wink:
What he said.... and because we all get paid the same mileage wise, there is no "game playing" about which driver to send...as in "he's junior, so his mileage pay is lower...lets dispatch him first". The only variations in pay that you will find is on the hourly rate at a couple of the terminals...and it is tied to the local cost of living.

Yes...you definitely get paid right from the minute you break down, or go in the shop. But you have to put it on your "Layover Sheet"....which is a form you fill out for Layover, weather delays, breakdowns, & dispatch delays. Its kind of a "no tickee, no washee" deal....if you don't do the paperwork, no money. Takes two or three seconds....

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Going Crazy @ Superior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbadriver
I really enjoy working at Superior. But the company is driving me crazy.

One week I pack for a short week (week of New Years Day). I end up out 10-days. The next week I pack to "hit the road" I end up leaving Monday afternoon and am home Thursday night.
I know what you mean... 8) But I solved that problem this way: I have a full set of clothing....two weeks worth that always goes on the truck when I leave out. Its always there (after its laundered). I never leave without that set of clothes....that way I never come up short.....unless I run out of clothes and have to find a washing machine and drier....which has happened rarely. These clothes don't even go home with me. They are dropped at a laundry...they wash, dry, fold and hang....I pick them up and put them in the truck.

Quote:
Friday, I still don't know what I am doing on Monday. Everyone else seems to have loads and are leaving Sunday, or Monday AM.

Is this just the luck of the draw? Or because I am pretty low on the seniority pole?
There are 3 possibilities:

1. Luck of the draw.

2. Lots of "inbounds" that have to be turned around first.

3. If there are no inbounds....the "first ins" that are available in your teminal's fleet are out first.

Me, I like to time my home time for "weekdays"....so when I come back to work...its at the middle or end of the week....when everyone else wants to go home....I'm on my way out...

Quote:
Or should I just be happy/lucky I got 2000-miles in 3.5 days work?

Any comments welcome.
Lets see....$900.00 gross for 3.5 days.... I think anyone would be happy with that. 2000 X .415 + 3 SB + 1 LD + 1UNLD= $900.00. And thats not considering any detention time or anything else. Considering that....was in 3.5 days....not bad at all. But keep in mind...this is the slowest time of the year. Enjoy the ease, when it heats up...the business that is....you'll wish it was slower.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

Old 01-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleypiper
Nope, Internationals
I've been hearing all kinds of rumors. One was that they are going to "try some Volvo's"....maybe 20 to see how they work out. Another rumor was that they are going to buy trucks with APU's.....

We'll see.....but one has to remember: A rumor is little more than that. I tend to believe things when I see it happen. A rumor has less value than a pound of :dung: !

Old 01-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2189
I don't even know what the job is offering , other than what i read from the guys on this site.I just got out of school in december so i have to get trained and go through the whole process also still waiting for hazmat check .nsxman you sound like your ready to go hope everything goes well ....keep in touch
You will find that whatever those of us that work for Superior have said or posted is literally "gospel". There is absolutely no reason to lie or deceive anyone. The company freely tells its pay and benefits.... and its just as Cyanide has posted in his tanker thread. The ONLY variations in pay are some hourly amounts that are "locally oriented" due to the cost of living in those areas.

I have every intention of remaining at Superior until I either retire or die... whichever comes first. I've been here 15 months now....and I'm still happy as can be.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Board Regular

I had also thought, yeah that's not bad for 3.5 days. Plus one unload was super long - like 8 hours!! Their tank was full and I had to push the stuff across the plant. So yeah - 2 unloads, a couple tank washes, trailer drops, SB, Pre/Posts, 8 hours extra for unloading, and a couple hour misc. delay.

I'm just used to working harder.

Like any other trucker. More worried about the next load than the last.

They also may be balancing the work because the previous week (leaving 1/3 and getting back 1/11) I had like 3700 miles.

"Lets see....$900.00 gross for 3.5 days.... I think anyone would be happy with that. 2000 X .415 + 3 SB + 1 LD + 1UNLD= $900.00. And thats not considering any detention time or anything else. Considering that....was in 3.5 days....not bad at all. But keep in mind...this is the slowest time of the year. Enjoy the ease, when it heats up...the business that is....you'll wish it was slower."

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"!
"He knew who I was, at that time, because I had a reputation as a writer. I knew he was part of the Bush dynasty. But he was nothing, he offered nothing, and he promised nothing. He had no humor. He was insignificant in every way and consequently I didn't pay much attention to him. But when he passed out in my bathtub, then I noticed him. I'd been in another room, talking to the bright people. I had to have him taken away." -on meeting George W Bush at Thompson's Super Bowl party in Houston in 1974

Buy the ticket. Take the ride.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbadriver
I had also thought, yeah that's not bad for 3.5 days. Plus one unload was super long - like 8 hours!! Their tank was full and I had to push the stuff across the plant. So yeah - 2 unloads, a couple tank washes, trailer drops, SB, Pre/Posts, 8 hours extra for unloading, and a couple hour misc. delay.

I'm just used to working harder.

Like any other trucker. More worried about the next load than the last.

They also may be balancing the work because the previous week (leaving 1/3 and getting back 1/11) I had like 3700 miles.
I think your last two lines explains it for the most part..... and it may be that they were looking at your hours...the ones coming back to you each midnite. You were probably getting close to either out of hours or odd hours being picked up that would make some runs tricky. Its better in the long run to get the reset... So in reality... your overall income for the 9 days would have been pretty decent based on everything included.

Also, I think you're going through "withdrawal".... 8) You're fairly new at this...and the change from being paid mainly or exclusively mileage to how we work....is a real shock mentally and takes a few weeks to adjust to, as well as adjusting to not having to jump through hoops and do 99% of everything at the last minute. Both I and Cyanide went through it, and probably 99% of drivers who make the change would agree with me.

Worry not, go with the flow....and make sure you do all the paperwork. In a couple of weeks all will be right with the universe. I was just like you before I started here.....so was Cyanide.... but now, I worry not, and I enjoy life more, and I make more than before. All is right with my world