Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006
Okie do not worry about it with fuel going up even more sooner or later those other companies will be cutting them back again over the Qcom it can be done. Sooner or later the cost of fuel will catch up to those fleets and they will get slowed down again.
I have a friend who drives for First Fleet out in Arizona. They had been running at 72 mph, but just recently have been cut back to 65, so it is starting to happen.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagerbomber
We run 65 at Barr Nunn as well and it really honestly just doesnt bother me that much. Being able to run 68-70 really does not make that much difference in the long run anyways. say you get a 68 mph truck instead of a 65, if you ran non stop at this speed for your entire 11 hour shift without stopping or slowing down for anything or going up any hills at all(you know none of this will happen) you would gain 33 miles for the entire day and that would be under 100% perfect never gonna happen circumstances. It would be 55 miles on a 70mph truck...it just really doesnt make that much difference. I really dont care myself, i am being paid well for my time and not spending any of my own money to make the truck run. 65 works for me, pass me all you want and blow some more of that fuel out those stacks, after you get done stopping for coffee a few times i am still gonna beat ya to the customer lol.
This is pretty smart thinking(above),

the only points that detract from the above logic are:

If you run JIT freight or coast-coast( out west ) on long hauls it is very possible to run those 11hr full days and average 68 with a 70 mile per hour truck....and lets say you were able to get those extra 33miles-just 40% of the time= 4818miles a year extra x .42 cent=$2,023.56 dollars a year more...and that's just 4 out of 10 days a year.

Where it's true- most guys with those "large cars" do stop MORE on average.....He could "keep the left door shut" as easily as YOU -have to....and at least he doesn't have to pee in a bottle!

Hey, I'm driving a 65 mile per hour Shaffer Truck and it doesn't bother me
either....I'm paid well too( when I get some miles) and what you didn't point out...is We get in less trouble with the law running 65....especially back east in 65 and 55 mph states...having a clean CDL(mvr) allows you to hire on at "better" companies...than those "outlaw" outfits.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:51 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagerbomber
We run 65 at Barr Nunn as well and it really honestly just doesnt bother me that much. Being able to run 68-70 really does not make that much difference in the long run anyways. say you get a 68 mph truck instead of a 65, if you ran non stop at this speed for your entire 11 hour shift without stopping or slowing down for anything or going up any hills at all(you know none of this will happen) you would gain 33 miles for the entire day and that would be under 100% perfect never gonna happen circumstances. It would be 55 miles on a 70mph truck...it just really doesnt make that much difference. I really dont care myself, i am being paid well for my time and not spending any of my own money to make the truck run. 65 works for me, pass me all you want and blow some more of that fuel out those stacks, after you get done stopping for coffee a few times i am still gonna beat ya to the customer lol.
This is pretty smart thinking(above),

the only points that detract from the above logic are:

If you run JIT freight or coast-coast( out west ) on long hauls it is very possible to run those 11hr full days and average 68 with a 70 mile per hour truck....and lets say you were able to get those extra 33miles-just 40% of the time= 4818miles a year extra x .42 cent=$2,023.56 dollars a year more...and that's just 4 out of 10 days a year.

Where it's true- most guys with those "large cars" do stop MORE on average.....He could "keep the left door shut" as easily as YOU -have to....and at least he doesn't have to pee in a bottle!

Hey, I'm driving a 65 mile per hour Shaffer Truck and it doesn't bother me
either....I'm paid well too( when I get some miles) and what you didn't point out...is We get in less trouble with the law running 65....especially back east in 65 and 55 mph states...having a clean CDL(mvr) allows you to hire on at "better" companies...than those "outlaw" outfits.

Yeah, i agree with what you say about being able to run that out in the open and flat areas of the west and midwest, it is possible and some really determined drivers can(I could if I had to) but really in most cases with most drivers on an average day its just not gonna happen.
But we are definitely on the same page, if you are getting paid well, it just doesnt really matter as a company driver.....as an owner/op I can see this as an issue. I know I would be pretty determined to keep those miles clicking off on the odometer as quickly as possible if i was paying for everything. But really,as a company man, it dont really matter....if you got that extra 33 miles one day, you would just lose it sitting on another day, you really dont have enough control over what you do to make that 3 mph make a difference as a company driver.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:08 AM
Senior Board Member

with the price of fuel what it is today and going to be tomorrow....most O/O are trying to run 60mph and get their equipment spec'd out to do just that.
Unless they're running JIT airfreight or some other very high paying freight that just has to be there in a flash.

These "outlaw" trucking companies that give a driver a 80mph truck and .27cents per mile and a bottle of pills....and tell them to make the comic book look good....well, they're only staying in the game BECAUSE they 're
paying their drivers so low.....instead of the money going in their driver's pocket or their own...it's going to the PETAL and out the Stack. And these drivers are going to rack up tickets, ruin their MVR about the same time their Boss files Chapter 11...and skips out with their last paycheck.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Rookie

I have no problem running 65 you still get there. Plus I love watching these fast trucks pass me several times a day. Then at the end of the day all being parked at the same place. Lets see they have stopped 3 or 4 times in the day. Most likely at a TS and spent money then sped drown the road and then took a break cuase they have been running the limit all day and need to take a nap for an 30min or an hour then back down the road running hard to make up time. But we all end up in the same place and I stopped to releive myself grabbed a sammy out of the cooler and back down the road at 65 and I still park at the same place all you fast truck parked at. Humm going fast isn't saving you anything
Old 11-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyncrazy
I have no problem running 65 you still get there. Plus I love watching these fast trucks pass me several times a day. Then at the end of the day all being parked at the same place. Lets see they have stopped 3 or 4 times in the day. Most likely at a TS and spent money then sped drown the road and then took a break cuase they have been running the limit all day and need to take a nap for an 30min or an hour then back down the road running hard to make up time. But we all end up in the same place and I stopped to releive myself grabbed a sammy out of the cooler and back down the road at 65 and I still park at the same place all you fast truck parked at. Humm going fast isn't saving you anything
Yes, but....give ME a fast truck with 200gal tanks, no sat tracking or pre-pass or any other electronic/paper trail and we both could leave LA at the exact time- and I'd leave you n the dust....run to Hunts point market, unload/ reload and pass you heading back to LA somewhere around Memphis.
Been there, Done it before...could do it again. Just don't expect me to pay for that Fuel!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyncrazy
Yes, but....give ME a fast truck with 200gal tanks, no sat tracking or pre-pass or any other electronic/paper trail and we both could leave LA at the exact time- and I'd leave you n the dust....run to Hunts point market, unload/ reload and pass you heading back to LA somewhere around Memphis.
Been there, Done it before...could do it again. Just don't expect me to pay for that Fuel!

Whopdee do.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Agree with the majority...

As a company driver at Superior Carriers, I enjoyed 65 mph and .58/mile a helluva lot better than .38/mile and 75 mph at Aartman, or worse, .34 loaded/.29 empty and 80 mph back at Indian River years ago... :roll: :lol:

Of course now I'm doing...... What, did you really expect me to tell!!! :P

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."