User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 01:13 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Prime, any other drivers out there? Need advice badly.

As I sit here in this parking lot at the Pilot outside Indianapolis, I just can't help but think of this fine mess we are in. Yes, we had stupidly decided to try Prime. My fiance' has been on me about coming here for 3 years, and they way things are going back home and how our last company was (Werner) we figured at this point we have nothing to loose. I am an experienced driver, but I am not driving at this time, we wanted to see how things were going to work out here first. Ha! It's been a month and my fiance' is ready to clean out his truck already. First off, I think he is getting screwed with is paychecks. Don't ask me how or why, I am still trying to figure that out myself. I'm not 100% sure, but I am working on it. Our fleet manager is a total idiot. "Joe" (names have been changed to protect the stupid) either runs him good or bad. Here are some of his pays, not in order either: $800, $750, $91 (yes, $91 dollars), $181 (this week) one week in the hole, and next Friday probably will be too, and $450. The week in the hole, they charged him about $100 interest on the $200 he was in the hole for! Yes, $100 F*#%!@& dollars!!!! Thats ridiculous!! This week we just came off of hometime on Monday. A $500 run and a $600 are 2 of the 3 runs he has had this week. They were both less than 300 miles, which wouldn't be so bad, but we end up sitting for hours because we are to early to unload or they can't unload us early, and then "joe" takes his sweet ass time getting him another load. The one we are on now pays $1500, but after you figure everything, it's averaging about 70 cents a mile, and it is also a 2 stopper, one tonight up the road, and the other over in Ohio tomarrow. Which means he will have about 24 hours to get another load and dropped by the Tuesday 5 p.m deadline for trips to be paid this week. I doubt that is going to happen. So I am sure we will be in the hole on Friday and paying out the a$$ for it the next Friday.

But here is the kicker. I have talked to several, and I mean several other Prime drivers since we have been here. All are happy and making good money. And none of them have "joe" as their fleet manager. So I think I have my fiancee' finally talked into it, but "joe" is going to be fired tomarrow. We have that option, thank god. We both really want to give this company a chance, but if a new fleet manager doesn't help, we are going to have to try another company.

I know, this post sounds more like me b*&#$ing and moaning, but I am just so ticked off at this point, and I am sure I have all bored you to dead and half of you haven't even read this post down to this point :? But, are there any other current for former Prime drivers who have thoughts on this situation? And please, nobody yell at us for doing this "fleece" purchase (ya, not even a purchase, we won't own the truck at the end of the lease) we are learning our lesson fast.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:51 AM
Rookie

i am not gona yell at you for doing the lease purchase.
but iam gona ask you why you would go in to a lease purchase with a company you know little about?
why not just be satisfied to work as a company driver till you feel out the company?
from your post it sounds like you run team. team co. drivers make good money or should.
leave the lease purchase to the drivers who have money in the bank and can absorb a bad month or two.
from my understanding prime has a walk away lease. so walk away and maybe transfer to the companey driver division.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:08 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm not even going to go there......

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:09 AM
Board Regular

If I understand you right...he is a solo and your along for the ride. Your dispatcher can make you or break you. Seems sometimes the low pay is an eye opener to get you to team drive but thats just my opinion. I made alot of money teaming. I look at the expenses right now and I believe his better alternative will be to go company. Drive on Primes dime and not yours. Good luck no mater what
Old 11-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Senior Board Member

I REALLY hate to be the one to say this:

Your join date here is 2004 and you didn't know any better than to try a Prime lease? Sorry guys, you should have KNOWN better. 30959529295 truck drivers can't be wrong. :roll:
Old 11-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Rookie

Here's a thought ... maybe it's not entirely Prime's fault. I'll be the first to admit they aren't the best company out there and Leasing just doesn't make any sense, even if you're leasing a car. (IMHO Leasing anything is nothing but a fancy way of renting it)

From the inconsistencies you wrote, it sound like you just want someone to blame instead of taking responsibility. If you don't use the tools that are available to you and you drive the truck like it's F1 and/or make poor use of your time/hours, then yes you'll get a $50 paycheck and you don't really have anyone to blame but yourself. Prime didn't tell you to run the truck at 72MPH and race to the shipper early. You can't always get the $1.90 /mile load every time and you're probably not going to net $2,000 a week solo but it should even out at the end of the month.

Maybe you should just switch to the Flatbed or Tanker division. Flatbed you have to do tarping and strapping, which really isn't that hard, but the trade off is you never have to worry about lumpers and you can get unloaded in like 15 minutes, and almost always unloaded early. The only time I've had someone say they can't take a load early is because it was a retail store that wasn't open on Sundays. Plus glass loads pay $3 a mile

You could also just goto the company side too, but just remember that those lease drivers and team drivers seem to get priority on loads.

Edit: ohh I forgot to mention that company flatbed drivers only get $10 for tarping, lease gets $50 and they hate giving company drivers flatbed equipment and sneak it out of your paycheck (like if you need plastic corner protectors or you broke a chain) and you're forced to stay out for 4 weeks before you're allowed hometime which gets you one or two if your lucky days off, which is why I don't work there anymore.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:49 AM
Rookie
Default prime

i drive for prime as a lease operator on ref side not sure why your having the trouble you discribe.i always get good miles for the week yes i do get the radume short load but they pay more and that makes up for differnce.if you run hard and you get to stop early such as wally world dc you will sit they control this not prime you may need to call ahead find out if early is ok.also if joe is messing with yous get ride of joe apperntly joe has money cause his pay is dirrectly related to how he runs his board. also i always get the garuntee 85 cents per mile that they promised dont be afraid to talk to joes boss .i will say i here otheirs say freight is slowing down but as for me i dont see it they run me hard and iam making money good luck but dont just jump ship talk to someone and see whats wrong.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:30 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortround
i always get the garuntee 85 cents per mile that they promised.
Wow!! .85 cpm to be your own boss!!! Where do I sign up? :roll:

LOL....85 cpm...you've got to be fucking kidding me!!!!
Old 11-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Board Regular

Ya, I've been a member since 2004. I did my homework on Prime. I knew we were taking a risk. I've heard the good, the bad and the ugly on it. All I'm looking for is some advice from other current and past drivers with is this company on what to do about these lousy loads and this idiot fleet manager. And almost all I got was critisim. I know we have made a mistake, but it doesn't need to be rubbed in my face.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_froggy
Ya, I've been a member since 2004. I did my homework on Prime. I knew we were taking a risk. I've heard the good, the bad and the ugly on it. All I'm looking for is some advice from other current and past drivers with is this company on what to do about these lousy loads and this idiot fleet manager. And almost all I got was critisim. I know we have made a mistake, but it doesn't need to be rubbed in my face.
Then change the one who is causing all the problems "Joe".If you think it could be better with a different manager,good luck.