User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 02:03 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
9PM Friday to 9PM Sunday does not a weekend make.
I always hated that 48 hour BS many trucking companies like to pull.

I am not an overly unreasonable person. Under the current HOS if I had to spend more than 2 of my 14 hour "day" getting home then I considered it working that day.

Along those same lines, what is even worse is some companies try to start your time off from the time you either empty out your last load of the trip or finish picking up a load you are taking through the house. It does not matter you may be 12 hours from home and have to get at least 1 ten hour break in as well if not 2 of them. :roll: :roll:

As far as being home every weekend and getting 3000 miles every week without cooking the books it is possible, but virtually everything has to go right with very little time spent picking up and delivering loads.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Senior Board Member

back to the original question? 1 day per 1 week. I rarely went home as a solo so my wife joined me. Now when we go home we usually stay home more than a week. Usually about 10 days. Vito is right. During that period we make zero dollars. But after three months out we feel we deserve it. having said that, where you live will play into getting you home in any time frame. Also what you have plans for and whether or not that you are flexible also plays a part. getting home on an exact date? pretty hard. 8 years ago? from what I here the company had more of a family atmosphere than it does now. after a year on the road I don't need another family. When I first started? I thought I did and was disappointed that CFI did not meet those expectations. Now I could care less. CFI has its problems but they are probably much like other trucking firms. If you have experience out here you have more options. If you are new? It is a pick'em. Good luck on your decision!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Personally I wish drivers would start getting away from worrying so much about how many miles per week they can get and start concerning themselves with how much money per week they can earn.
Thats well said! 8)

Quote:
I have seen too many drivers who will go to work for a company at 25 cpm because that company can and does get them 3500 miles a week and trash a driver who goes to work somewhere making 42 cpm that only runs 2100 miles a week.
Amazing isn't it? But then again...the 25cpm driver just proves that Forrest Gump was 100% correct.

Lets see now... so far I've driven 1676 miles this week :shock: and my pay thus far is $791.44 or about 47 cpm. Now, I'll pull a load about 500 miles later today and tonite...and my pay will be $1028.94 for 2175 miles, or 47.3 cpm. Now....my pay period doesn't end til midnite sunday, so I could get more miles/hours/pay.... but I guess since I'm only gonna have (maybe) 2175 miles.... I'm a dumbass? Hardly. The real dumbass is the driver who takes low pay and tries to make it up with lots of miles.

Oh, if I sit for the weekend without a load....it will be in a company paid motel, and I'll get $212.80 in lay-over, so my pay for the week would be $1241.74....or 57cpm. I don't know about you....but I would much rather drive 2175 miles and get $1241.74 than drive 3500 miles for $875.00 or even $1225.00 for the 3500 miles. Why? You figure it out. 8)

Like Uturn said....its not how many miles you get....its how many $$ you make, and I would like to add, and I'm sure he meant it this way, its how much you can make without driving yourself into the ground or finding ways to "squeeze your log book" so you can get more miles in.....

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.