User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Transferring to Knight!!

Just a note to thank those of you that gave you're opinions, and the information I needed to decide which company would be best for me. I'll be going to Indianapolis Mon. morning for orientation. This will be a BIG relief for me because of the way I've been treated and misused for the past 3 years. It took me a long time to carefully decide because I didn't want to make another mistake. But thanks to you I really feel I've made the right decision, and will be with Knight for a long time. Any tips you might have will be appreciated. Again thank you all very much!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 04:52 AM
Rookie

I'm currently going through the hiring process.. I'm not sure that I am gonna go for this gig. But if you have any questions let me know. I will do my best to answer them..

Peace
Old 10-04-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Driver Dave
I'm currently going through the hiring process.. I'm not sure that I am gonna go for this gig. But if you have any questions let me know. I will do my best to answer them..

Peace
Is orientation like 2 1/2 days? Are you going to refer. or dri van? I don't know if you get the miles with refrigerated. And do they put you in a motel, or do you stay at the terminal?
Old 10-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Senior Board Member

I can not attempt to speak for all of the terminals, but I do know that KC and Indy you will stay in a Motel. Orientation last 2 1/2 to 3 days, all depends on how many stupid stories drivers have to tell while going through it. :wink:

If all goes right, sometime on Thursday afternoon you should get your trucks and your first load assignment.

There are some things you will hear in orientation that may make you wonder if you have made a mistake, but don't sweat it. While there are some things that are gospel truth there are others things that you are told more to keep drivers from trying to take advantage of things or abusing things than they are solid policies.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Ok, I just came back to knight and I am out of the Indianapolis Indiana terminal. Let me know what you want to know and I will answer them for you. Orientation is Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. It is a busy three days. The first day is the hardest. You have to go do your Physicals, Work Steps ( That is a bitch), road test, paperwork, drug screens and a few other things.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman932003
Ok, I just came back to knight and I am out of the Indianapolis Indiana terminal. Let me know what you want to know and I will answer them for you. Orientation is Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. It is a busy three days. The first day is the hardest. You have to go do your Physicals, Work Steps ( That is a bitch), road test, paperwork, drug screens and a few other things.
How about inverters? I heard you could run one if it's not to big, but can you run a 750 watt? And what the heck are work steps? I think I heard you can get all the miles you need out of the Indy terminal. So that will work out nice. And even though I live in northern Mi. it sounds like I'll be getting some home time. That will be a nice switch! Oh, how long do the classes run each day? Thanks!
Old 10-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Inverters can only be the plug in type. No hard wires.

Work Steps, Work Well....pretty much the same thing. Basically you do a series of tests designed to rate your cardio vascular system as well see what kind of shape your back and other muscles that you may use on the job are in.

You do things like a grip test, step up and down onto a platform, lift boxes of different weights to different heights, pull 50 lbs or so so many feet, etc.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Rookie

hey there
just got back from my first run out with them finished orientation on
thurs only due to the drug test have to say all is ok so far
was suprised to only find just 4 guys at orientation ( carlisle pa )

was told i would be home on friday and here i am so good luck
Old 10-06-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneagle
hey there
just got back from my first run out with them finished orientation on
thurs only due to the drug test have to say all is ok so far
was suprised to only find just 4 guys at orientation ( carlisle pa )

was told i would be home on friday and here i am so good luck
Thats pretty cool only having 4 in class. one of the companies I worked for had 34, and I was told 70% were gone at 6 months. A small number = less turn over in my book. Ya, I think I made a good dessision. Ya , they told me my first run would be home to load all my things. Thats cool too.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemaes
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman932003
How about inverters? I heard you could run one if it's not to big, but can you run a 750 watt? And what the heck are work steps? I think I heard you can get all the miles you need out of the Indy terminal. So that will work out nice. And even though I live in northern Mi. it sounds like I'll be getting some home time. That will be a nice switch! Oh, how long do the classes run each day? Thanks!
As Uturn said, you can only have the plug in type. It can be as big as you want but only able to plug in. Orientation is from 7 am to around 4 or so. It is not your typical orientation though. you take lots of breaks. One of the people you meet there is safety. The safety guy there in Indy is named Jay. He is a bit hard to understand because he stutters but he is a good guy. Joyce is a recruiter and also does payroll and fuel. There is a guy there, I forget his name, that is from Germany. He is the coolest guy! He does most of the road test. He is a older gentelman, He used do be in the Secret Service. He drove Regan everywhere. You will go over to the shop and get a tour. Lots of other things.

Work Steps is the hardest part of Orientation. Fist you get examined by one of the pretty ladies there where they measure how far you can bend over forwards and backwards and side to side. They do a BP check. Then you go over to the step and do three minutes at a fast pace stepping up and down and then they check your heart rate. Then you go over to a box with handles on it and have to lift it up in the air once from about shoulder height. I think it weighs around 30 lbs or so. Then you go over to a box that is on the floor and they put 70 lbs in it and you have to pick it up carry it 10 feet and put it down 10 times. Then you go to the simulated truck step where you have to act like you are getting in and out of the truck but the step is a little higher though. Then you do a grip test. Then last but not least you go ove to the fifth wheel pull. It does not sound all that hard but trust me, you will be tired and soaking wet with sweat when you get done. They feed you lunch every day from either Burger King, Wendy's or Taco Bell.