User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default For the new people on the site......

This is just a suggestion, but most all of you have questions about companies, and questions that relate to hiring, etc. But an awful lot of you leave your "location" as in what state you live in out of your profile. SO, its a little difficult for people answering your questions to give you a good answer.

This is because....if you live outside of a company's hiring area....you could get yourself all wound up and hoping to work for them, only to find out they won't hire you.

Just a thought.... 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:41 PM

Skywalker..... I here CFI is hiring in the Sacramento area now. Dumb question to ask YOU but yea think they would be a good company for a newbie ??
Old 09-24-2007, 12:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal
Skywalker..... I here CFI is hiring in the Sacramento area now. Dumb question to ask YOU but yea think they would be a good company for a newbie ??
I drove for them for 7 years....so the answer is Yes. I only left for family reasons...otherwise I would still be there.

They are not a classic "training company".....but they are a serious company and if you have a good work ethic, and have discipline....you should do well.

They have been bought by Con-Way, and there will no doubt be some changes....but I tend to think they will be in a positive vein.

Search for posts here by Vitocoleone....he is currently at CFI, and is a no-nonsense kind of guy. You can get a lot of information from him. Better from him than me.... I've been gone from CFI since last October....

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Great suggestion Skywalker and a very good point. I think it should be a mandatory to list at least the state in profiles.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Senior Board Member

No one here cares about your home address, just the city and state where you reside. As mentioned it can be of real help when it comes to helping you.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:21 PM

Hi Everyone
This is my first post and have been looking at this forum and others for awhile and just joined here so I could post.
Thanks to Jeff for processing my Registration.

First I have decided I want to become a trucker as a way to stay young and maybe live longer than sitting behind a computer everyday.
I have had that thought for many years and should of jumped long ago but things kept getting in the way.
OK
Full Time RV'er here past two years dragging around a 32 ft tag Axle MH so not afraid of med size stuff, 5th wheel before that for 5 yrs.
Age is a factor here as I am 65 and so far I think, but could be wrong.
Some companys Descriminate against people of/ over certain ages.
In emailing two companys asking questions and not giving my age I got good answers and thought I may have a chance to sign up and get training.

I am studying the CDL Manual and will take my test soon and get the Permit here in Bullhead City AZ.

BUt when I get to the AGE thing I got the same answer from two company's so far.

Oh we are sorry we just realized where you live and we are not hireing in your area.

My reply to both companys.
Ok I understand that, I told them.

Well I forgot to tell you I am a full time RV'er and right now Home base is Bullhead City AZ but just tell me where I need to move to, to be in your hiring area.
No Answer from one company and they other told me they were hiring in Calif and OR and if I decide where I want to move to then contact them to see if I am now in the hiring area. DUH
I then asked that company to just tell me some locations so I could check on RV Parks. They said they had hundreds and could not give me all of them. So I said well just give me 2 from each state. NO ANSWER!
Pretty simple to me they don't want a 65 yr old. I can understand why and the law won't let them just come out and tell you that. Actually I wish they could so I am not wasting my time.

I did get a call from IDC Trucking company on monday, That from the 11 apps sent out by layover.com and have sent my full application to them as requested, Their Company Application they provided me in a PDF file. So we are hoping it works out.

Anybody have any comments about working for this company?
The school is in Tucomcary NM at Masalands college. 5 weeks at school and then 4 to 6 weeks OTR with a Traner.

I remember another old fart was suppose to start training I think in Sept. But forget his name, Does anybody know of him and how he is doing.
Thanks
Old 09-27-2007, 07:22 PM

Hey Gb, (old fart)
Good luck breaking into the industry, unfortunately though no one will admit to it, age does play a factor. Hope you get to follow your dream.
Bullhead City, hottest darn place I ever made deliveries to. I am from Phoenix and began my career delivering gas cylinders, two locations among many, kingman and Bullhead City. Towards the end of my career driving I was delivering groceries to convience stores and made several stops in Bullhead and Lake Havasu. Not sure wich is hotter, both are miserable and as you well know that whole its a dry heat thing, :roll: is all crap.
Take care hope all works out for you!
Old 10-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Board Regular
Default age?

Werner will take anyone no matter their age, use them as a springboard to get on to a better company later. How do I know? When I drove for Werner there were people who were in their 70's and 80's driving for them! Personally by time I am in 70's or 80's I would like to be settled somewhere, but maybe not, cuz I don't like to sit still very long right now! Time will tell I have a few years to decide that! I am just sick of family telling me they don't want me to drive and I am ready to hit the road again!
Old 10-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Great suggestion Skywalker and a very good point. I think it should be a mandatory to list at least the state in profiles.
but then Ray would know where to send the fcc to get us
Old 02-27-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbtrucker
Hi Everyone
This is my first post and have been looking at this forum and others for awhile and just joined here so I could post.
Thanks to Jeff for processing my Registration.

First I have decided I want to become a trucker as a way to stay young and maybe live longer than sitting behind a computer everyday.
I have had that thought for many years and should of jumped long ago but things kept getting in the way.
OK
Full Time RV'er here past two years dragging around a 32 ft tag Axle MH so not afraid of med size stuff, 5th wheel before that for 5 yrs.
Age is a factor here as I am 65 and so far I think, but could be wrong.
Some companys Descriminate against people of/ over certain ages.
In emailing two companys asking questions and not giving my age I got good answers and thought I may have a chance to sign up and get training.

I am studying the CDL Manual and will take my test soon and get the Permit here in Bullhead City AZ.

BUt when I get to the AGE thing I got the same answer from two company's so far.

Oh we are sorry we just realized where you live and we are not hireing in your area.

My reply to both companys.
Ok I understand that, I told them.

Well I forgot to tell you I am a full time RV'er and right now Home base is Bullhead City AZ but just tell me where I need to move to, to be in your hiring area.
No Answer from one company and they other told me they were hiring in Calif and OR and if I decide where I want to move to then contact them to see if I am now in the hiring area. DUH
I then asked that company to just tell me some locations so I could check on RV Parks. They said they had hundreds and could not give me all of them. So I said well just give me 2 from each state. NO ANSWER!
Pretty simple to me they don't want a 65 yr old. I can understand why and the law won't let them just come out and tell you that. Actually I wish they could so I am not wasting my time.

I did get a call from IDC Trucking company on monday, That from the 11 apps sent out by layover.com and have sent my full application to them as requested, Their Company Application they provided me in a PDF file. So we are hoping it works out.

Anybody have any comments about working for this company?
The school is in Tucomcary NM at Masalands college. 5 weeks at school and then 4 to 6 weeks OTR with a Traner.

I remember another old fart was suppose to start training I think in Sept. But forget his name, Does anybody know of him and how he is doing.
Thanks
Schiender loves old work horses.. They call them golden free training..