User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Stevens Transport.

Have been contacted by these folks to come and start my driving career with them. Not alot of info about em that they sent to me and I'm looking for Pro's and Con's for this company. I am a newbie and need training for my CDL. Can anyone advise me about their training center, their runs and loads, benefits, hometime, and equipment. Thank you to anyone and everyone who responses to this post. I'm really looking at making a career change at this time in my life, as I'm fed up with the cubicle attitude and environment.

Delaware, OH resident, 50 yr. old guy looking for a good start in a new industry!!!
Old 09-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Do a search here on the site just using the company name. You will get plenty of information.

I might suggest as a better alternative that you contact CFI at 1-800-641-4748....talk to Christine in Recruiting.

You can do a search on this site for information on CFI using CFI as the search word... compare the two.

You live in CFI's hiring area.....

You can also go over to http://www.cfidrivers.com and ask questions there, and you will get the answers from current drivers there. Its a privately owned site not company owned. 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Board Regular

Never drove for them but I have talked to a few of their drivers. They like to keep their drivers out for a minimum of 3 weeks. The pay is not really that great. Good things the drivers have said is that the benefits are not that expensive, they keep busy and they have good equipment.
Here are some other companies that provide their own CDL training:Schneider, Swift, Prime, and Roehl.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:53 AM
Senior Board Member

I drove for Stevens in '04 and '05. My only complaint was the time out on the road for the company side drivers. I went straight into their Alliance Lease Program and made real good money, but found myself out just as much as the company guys. At the time, my son had just been born, and I was really not liking being away from him, so I left to go run local.

Stayed busy, great equipment and their benefits package is better than most out their. The training at the school is good mix, with lots of truck time on the yard, doing obstacles and backing.

If they had adjusted their home time policy, I may have considered going back, but they still have the 18 -21 day deal going on. But in contrast, the other big carriers are much the same, unless you manage to land a dedicated or regional run. OTR companies, the ones that train and hire new drivers. All depends on what you are looking for, and family at home.

Good luck!
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 09-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryhorseman
I drove for Stevens in '04 and '05. My only complaint was the time out on the road for the company side drivers. I went straight into their Alliance Lease Program and made real good money, but found myself out just as much as the company guys. At the time, my son had just been born, and I was really not liking being away from him, so I left to go run local.

Stayed busy, great equipment and their benefits package is better than most out their. The training at the school is good mix, with lots of truck time on the yard, doing obstacles and backing.

If they had adjusted their home time policy, I may have considered going back, but they still have the 18 -21 day deal going on. But in contrast, the other big carriers are much the same, unless you manage to land a dedicated or regional run. OTR companies, the ones that train and hire new drivers. All depends on what you are looking for, and family at home.

Good luck!
Does Stevens make their lease ops park at a dealer or "other secure location" like the company drivers have to?

Old 09-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryhorseman

Good luck!
Does Stevens make their lease ops park at a dealer or "other secure location" like the company drivers have to?
the trailer must be at a secure location, but the tractor can be taken home. it was not real hard to get a location with a fence approved though.
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA