User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 04:59 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

ok.... thanks for hijacking my post.... so to continue. I went to the DMV today and passed all 3 of my tests. only missed 1 question. damn.

Thats all we did all day long. sit and wait for the DMV. Oh and some mapping assignments, nothing hard though. Tomorrow we go to the range for range orientation, and have a mapping test. Mostg people did ok at the DMV, just be prepeared to WAIT AND WAIT. Also, the questions on the DMV test were all from our homework, and our tests in class. There are some tricky questions with more than one right answer, but you have to look for the most correct answer.

Also... WARNING... the DMV computers are FREAKING HORRIBLE> my test locked up, and so did 2 of roomates, the third did not have to go to the dmv becasue he had his perit when he got here.... OH and PACK YOUR LUNCH! Dont be like me and leave it. You may or may not get a chance to get something. Some of us did, other did not. I finally ate at like 4pm! Ms. Winners. ( YUK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I also found out today that the drugtest results came back on Saturday, and was surprised becasue i thought a lot more people would be leaving. (from the stories people were telling) I'd guess that prob. 100-110 people will go to the range.

There are over 50 insructors here, and there is a 1-4 ratio. I asked other classes this and they all confirmed that you'll only ever be in a group of 4 at the range. They do split you up into night and day shift though. (this happens tomorrow too.) Day is from 6am to like 3:30 and night is from 5pm to 2:30. (30 minute luches).

On the switching licenses thing, SWIFT does their own range and road tests, so you have to have a TN license to get it. Not a big deal really. You just get given a tenn. address while here, (the motel) and a letter stating that you will be residing in TN for 30 days.

Speaking of 30 days. When you get here TN becomes your home, then after 23 days of school, you go "on vacation" to your former home state for a few dasy, and come back to actually get your CDL, orientation and mentor assignment. I've heard a lot of different things about the mentor part, but the way i understand it now, you'll be bussed to your home terminal to get with your mentor (maybe). You are with a mentor for 4-8 weeks depending on how you do (every one i've talked to has said they did 6 weeks to the day).

I did catch one HECK of a cold last night, so i'm going to bed after taking some Nyquil. (after taking it an instuctor reminded me that there is alcohol in Nyquil and to be verry careful about that. SWIFT requires you stay dry (no alcohol) for the 30 days. after that you're with a mentor, so get your partying in before you come here. People have been sent home already for it, and were told it's the equivelent of testing poz for a drug test.

Any more questions?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:11 AM
Board Regular

wow I like informative posts

So should I get my permit before I go to school?

How are the accomidations at the admirality inn?
Old 09-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Board Regular

Thanks for those posts. I'm trying to narrow down where to go and swift is on the list. I like the flatbed and tankers. I guess I'll make that call when I get out of school here. Keepm comn.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:38 PM
Rookie

Southrenpride, just curios how come you didn't go to Savannah Techs CDL program. I have nothing against Swifts program its just that trucking isn't for everyone and if you don't last then you have that huge debt. With Savannh Techs program you only have $400 out of pocket expenses. Now that you are in Swifts program just hang tough and roll with the punches for that one year and if you still like swift hey great if not just move on. A year is not that long. Best of luck yo you
Old 09-21-2007, 06:26 AM
Rookie

hey southernpride... I got a quick question for you...

when you did your drug test was you able to go and do it by your self or was there someone there with you watching you take a leak in a cup to make sure you wern't trying to hide anything?

I ahve nothing to hide, I'll pass it ok... But I can't take a leak with someone watching me... I know it sounds weird, but thats just how it is. My last job i had @ a factory did hair testing so i was ok... and when i worked @ walmart i was alone to wizz in a cup...

thanks for any info.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:34 AM

For some reason my post from yesterday hass vanished! So i'll re post it.

I ended on Monday. So Tuesday we spen some time in the class room before going to the Rang for oreintation. The classroom time was going over logging and taking a cheesey logging test, sfter that we went over some stuff like finances, mapping and tax deductions.

Then we went to the range and got split into night and day shift. Day shift is from 6am to 3:30 and night is from 4:30 to like 2am or something. The range is very well lit, so it's no issue. I got day shift. (damn it). The weather is taking it's toll. But anyway, we had a pre-trip demonstrated to us, and were then given handouts on it.

On Wed. we spent the mornig practicing pretrip in groups of 3. I was very surprised as i was expecting much larger groups. That went as smoothly as it can go. After lunch we got instruction and demonstration on straight line backing an we practiced that for the rest of the day. 2nd gear and revers only, no using the fuel pedal! You'll get yelled at. The rang is very different than the class room, they treat you like adults, and you are expectge to act that way. (some people have issues with this) You can also do your pre-trip test on thursday if you volunteer, i did, but they didnt get to me untill Friday morning.

On Thursday my BIL and i both tested on pretrip, I got the full test, except under the hood. (you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting the whole thing.) We both passed. Then went to practice straight line backing again. By lunch, my left leg was wore out from the clutch in these things. We were driving eagles from the early 90's. I did get in a newer freight liner and volvo and you can tell the differenct BIG TIME. The equipment is older, and have all been retired from the road (for good reason) but they are still functional and serve their purpose. After our morning break, we got instruction and demonstration on offset alley docking and parallel parking. Then the rest of the day was spent practicing those.

Today(Friday) we practiced offset, alley and traight line all day long. When you test oin these you have a 12 point max for all three. If you go over a line (encroachment) you loose 2 points... you get the idea. You have a TOTAL of 12 points for all 3 skills. They did straight line backing testing today, i did mine and i think i got 0 points (they dont tell you yet) so i have the full 12 for the remaing 2 skills. What was really frustraing today, was that we got too much practice on parallel and not enough on offset. You're supposed to rotate staions. The good news is we have all day tomorrow to practice, and test on sunday, though i hear thaey will test volunteers tomorrow.

Ok now to the questions.

Accomodations are decent. it's basic but clean. As long as you dont expect to come here on a holliday inn vacation you'll be fine. I would reccomend bringing more than $150 though, expecially if you are a smoker. There is a walmart, kroger and freds and big lots all pretty close.

Sav. Tech. - Hmmm. 1 word: time. I need to get this done as quickley as possible. My job was not working out, i had to leave and i have a family to support, so this was the best option for me. Plus i like the fact that you are taught by the same people hiring you, and you get away from all the distractions of home.

Drug Tests - All i can say about that is they dont play. You come back positive and you find your own way home. It is a pee test. You go into like a small bathroom and stand behind a wall to pee. there is no one looking at you actually pee, he is "in the next stall over" kinda.

I'll post again soon. Hopefully next time it wont vanish on me. Oh another pointer, PACK SUNSCREEN!!!!! 3 Days out on the rang and i look like a lobster! Night shift has got it easy!

My roomate got sent home today for missing info. but thats a long story. He never tried to rectify the situation.

Any more questions?
Old 09-22-2007, 06:37 AM
Rookie

just wanted to say you seem to be more of what this industry and any industry needs an honest hard working dude not lookin for anything to be handed to them and willing to work for what they want and i applaude you and wish you good luck and a safe road ahead call your parents and thank them for making you the man you are(or whomever gets the credit) somebody did a fine job. i also work for swift and have no real complaints but im a noobie too so i dont really know any better i team with my g/f she has almost 4 yrs mostly with werner i did heating and a/c for 28 years and left because like you i love to drive but really did it to be with her and for the benifits as the ac/ industry just wasnt providing me with good bennies although the money was better and home every nite. but at age 48 i was tired of sweating my ass off every summer working in attics and crawlspaces etc. we got a new volvo i suspect because she had 3 yrs experiance it had 661 miles on it that was in feb 15 she worked for about a month and 1/2 alone b-4 i got on the truck but we now have about 103,000 on the truck so you do the math we pretty much stay busy we dont get home as much as id like but oh well what cha gonna do. i figured id have more options after getting a year under my belt anyways good luck and if ya wanna ask any ques my email is [email protected] i check it every day as opposed to this site which i only look at maybe once a month. later...ken sorry for the lack of punctuation not a real fan of it
Old 09-25-2007, 12:13 AM

Hey guys.... It's monday night and here goes my weekend info and a little rant.

On Saturday morning first thing they asked for volunteers to test, i though to hell with it, why not. I was at least somewhat comfortable with all my skills. So i did it. I went likt 4th.... After doing a damn near perfect straight line, i really screwed my best skill up, Paralell.... CRAP. I got 7 points there, I was so sure i was screwed that i got into offset with a bad mental attitude. I got so frustrated with myself. I eventually just stopped the truck, pulled the brakes and sat there for about 3 or 4 minutes watching the airshow that was going on and waiting for myself to calm down. Once i did that i got the rig in there. Barely but i got it. I though i had failed, but come to find out i only got 3 points on offset so i passed!
YAY!!!!!!! The rest of the day was spent practicing the skills.

Sunday.... We praticed gthe same skills we had just passed! ALL DAY!
It was SUPER hot too! I look like a freaking stop light!

RANT/GRIPE: The equipment is not bad really, i mean like i said before it serves it's purpose BUT, you test on different equipment than you're used to, the lines on the gound are hard to see at best, and some of the practice stations are all out of whack. It's frustrating. My major gripe is with the fact that there are 2 instructors at best whol will stop to actually help you and tech you. One instructor whose name i wont mention is just a TOTAL a$$. I mena he is just MEAN for no reason. I also feel like i'm paying to get handouts and rent a truck. No matter how bad you're screwing up, they dont really help you.

I guess their system works though, all but 4 passed the tests. and we are off to Road training tomorrow. This should be interesting. You get grouped with three other people of their choosing, and you're stuck with them. lol. I'll check back in tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes.

laterz.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:22 AM
Senior Board Member

I myself am off to Swift Academy in Richmond, my last post until I get there! Wish me good luck!
Old 09-26-2007, 01:44 AM

Road Training... What a day!

On Monday we practiced more skills, even though all but 5 of us passed. That afternoon we did Road orientation. Nothing major, just a kinda whatever day.

Today (Tuesday) we got to class to get split into our groups of 4 and had to wait while they sorted out how they could do this with 2 instuctors missing and a class of almost a hundred people now. Well my instructor is a Military man, (just got back from Iraq) and i thought GREAT... here comes drill sergent. To my surprise (and relief) it was not like that at all. His name is Tim Morris and he is patient and teaches very well. He's also been driving for like 20 years. Well, out of the 11 day shift groups, he is the only one who decided that he didnt feel like driving us to Arkansas to the "shifting pad". So since i was the bold guy who called shotgun (passenger seat) he decided that i would drive us there. ( HOLY SH1T!) I did ok. I got the upshifting ok, it was the down shifting that screwed me up. But i white knuckled it all the way there. The big joke was that the steering whell caught a leak about 2 minutes in. (sweaty palms.) We were driving an OLD international, which was ok. it's a 10 speed, and we test on 10 speeds so it works out. We basically drove around a 14 mile rectangle next to farms shifting up and down. WOW... driving a manual before hurt WAY more than it helped. I have had to double clutch before so that was no problem, but the clutch neutral fuel clutch gear to shift down had me a little messed up. Not to mention i couldn't find 7th gear, or get the right RPMs to shift down, but towards the end of the day i started to get it. Did i mention gow GREAT our instructor was? Even when one of the guys almost took out a stop sign he kept his cool, explained what was happeneing, what he did wrong and how to correct it. I am actually really excited about tomorrow. We are going DOWNTOWN memphis to terrorize the city folk down there. this should be good. He also was really good about making sure everyone got the same amount of seat time, that everyone felt comfortable, and was craking jokes all day to keep us loose.

I'll check back soon. 7 more days!!!