User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default UPS

I would like to get a job with UPS, they're on a Union so the pay is great, but I heard they never hire from outside the company, is that true?

I'm 24 yrs old, have a couple yrs of warehouse exp and 3 yrs clean record driving, how likely would I be to get accepted into a driving position?

Where do I start if they won't hire me right away? I have heard you have to start at the bottom somewhere in a warehouse throwing packages around, and if they know you have a CDL you'll start driving when there is a spot (However long that'll take).

If I am in the warehouse, the pay isn't union, I believe it's like $10 an hr which isn't enough to survive, anyone know how the hours are? If they give me 70 hrs a week I could survive.

Thanks
mark
Old 09-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Board Regular

The best place to start would be the unemployment office.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Board Regular

You may want to try to get in during the Nov-Dec Christmas rush. UPS and similar companies have been known to hire tons of seasonal employees during this time of year. Do a good job and make some connections so that you can get on permanent.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Rookie

my dad works for ups driving a package truck. this is what he told me...

they do hire from outside, but its pretty rare. he said it used to be basically never, but now they do hire a few more here and there. also, it would be practically impossible to get hired in from the outside if you don't know someone high up, or at least a close family member that has made a good name for themselves with the higher ups....

he said expect to load boxes for anywhere from a few months to years there is no telling. it pays 10 or 10.50 an hour and you won't get more than about 20-25 hrs a week. you could do it and hold a day job though. that is what he did years ago. he worked something like 3AM-8AM then worked another job until he got hired driving.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Board Regular

It totally depends on where you live. I live in Chantilly VA and here the local UPS terminal is hiring full time package drivers off the street all the time. The job sucks and the cost of living here is stupid high but if you really want to work for UPS they need drivers here NOW.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: UPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark01GT
I would like to get a job with UPS, they're on a Union so the pay is great, but I heard they never hire from outside the company, is that true?

Answer: Yeah they hire from the outside..but it's rare, as that other person mentioned, A good way is to know someone that works there. That's how I got in lol.

I'm 24 yrs old, have a couple yrs of warehouse exp and 3 yrs clean record driving, how likely would I be to get accepted into a driving position?

Answer: Well, Christmas is nearing so you have a better chance to drive, because that's when they usually do there "massive" hiring for the much needed help.

Where do I start if they won't hire me right away? I have heard you have to start at the bottom somewhere in a warehouse throwing packages around, and if they know you have a CDL you'll start driving when there is a spot (However long that'll take).

Answer: Most people have to start from the bottom and work there way up, on most any company. Can't just say hey I want to be a CEO..give me my money Lol. But you can move up fast, if there are spots, and if they like you.

If I am in the warehouse, the pay isn't union, I believe it's like $10 an hr which isn't enough to survive, anyone know how the hours are? If they give me 70 hrs a week I could survive.

Answer: If you work for UPS, no matter what position you are still a union member. The warehouse guys Unloading/loading/sorting. they all get the union benefits, not sure who told you otherwise. Yes the pay is 10dollars roughly. The hours for the warehouse and if your on a part time thing..is 3am to 9am (well in my building) and the twightlight shift which is like 5pm to 9pm. But like I said christmas is nearing..so 3am usually gets pushed back to Midnight. and you can work 9hours. Then if you tried the driver helper well there you go 17 hour day Lol. IF you can stand being out that long though. Anyways good luck with ya =D

Thanks
mark
Old 09-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Board Regular

You start part time in the "sort". You load and unload trucks, air-freight cans, pretty much whatever needs to be done. Pay out west for part time is 11.50-12.50 per hour to start. You are in the union. Benefits are available to part-timers. UPS is required by our contract to convert so many part time jobs to full time each year. You bid as your seniority allows each year. I spent 4 years in the sort, 9 years on a package car (that brown thing that comes to your house) 70+K per year no problem on a package car. Then bid line sleeper, then finally spent my last years as a feeder driver. Average wage around 88-90K (I was lazy). Retired last July. It's a great job, but standards are high, they don't tolerate accidents and sometimes the "micro-management" BS gets to be a little too much. That said however, health and welfare bennies are great, pension is even better. Good luck.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:04 AM
Board Regular

Feeder,

I just started with UPS freight up here. I was hired as a full time PU&D driver. Its not a union shop yet but I keep hearing its inevitable. I already hold a teamsters card from my last gig with Sysco. I was just curious as to if you have heard anything about them trying to get the freight part union.

So far from what I can see this is a pretty cool gig. Way better than Sysco. Maybe Mark could get in with the freight side?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:06 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibamars
I was just curious as to if you have heard anything about them trying to get the freight part union.
http://www.teamster.org/divisions/pa...gotiations.htm
Old 09-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

They are completing a contract with the people in Indianapolis. When it's finalized, they hope to take it system wide (UPS Freight). UPS has already agreed to "card-check", so if you people like it, it will be easy to vote in system wide. Since I retired I have become active in organizing with the IBT. My initial plan to work part-time hauling high dollar RV's does not seem to be working out. Only hauled 2, because of the somewhat slow economy. Oh well, as long as I stay busy. I do not know all of the details of the proposed UPS Freight contract, but what I do hear is all good....