User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I am not moody and yes I am still at CFI until my wife gets a year. But, I am not a cheerleader and I don't think they are the best by any means. In my time here I think they have digressed.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldisnotenough
I am not moody
OK.... 8)

Quote:
and yes I am still at CFI until my wife gets a year. But, I am not a cheerleader and I don't think they are the best by any means. In my time here I think they have digressed.
Explain please?

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Not going to bash them because arguing would just start more arguing. I am just giving the new guy my honest opinion after my first year there. take it or leave it. I am not debating.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldisnotenough
Not going to bash them because arguing would just start more arguing. I am just giving the new guy my honest opinion after my first year there. take it or leave it. I am not debating.
OK 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

Old 09-17-2007, 02:57 PM

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the no-bashing, just the facts. I have done alot of researching and talking to people, and still doing it! I realize no company is perfect, and some are a better fit with different people than others.
We are just looking for the best fit for us. Not real interested in getting "home", but having our "hometime" in different locations to be able to see some family that is spread out all over. We are the type that will spend our 34 hr reset time (or whatever the new HOS brings) or time waiting for a load sightseeing a little where ever we happen to be.
Again, thanks for the insight, and appreciate any more that anyone else can chime in with.
Cheers
Old 09-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Roadie.... Just so you know.... "world" and I are friends....and have each other in "speed dial" on our phones..... 8) 8)

Old 09-17-2007, 07:04 PM

Good to hear Skywalker!
I hang around "the other forum" ALOT, and hated that it got a little tense, and some left. I think with a little "give and take" (I believe its called communicating), we can all learn from each other.
Thats what I'm here for, to learn, absorb, and soak in, and research as much as possible from as many sources as possible, filter thru the info, and enter the career field with a realistic picture and expectations.
You are very informative on CFI, and I as well as others appreciate the info! Hope I get a finisher/trainer as knowledgeable.
We are pretty set on going with CFI, but I have read abit on Interstate that interests me and want to get all the info I can to make an educated decision. Also to be honest the Con-way/CFI deal has me a little concerned. Hearing reports of not so happy drivers waiting on loads due to poor planning. I think that is because CFI is no longer the small family outfit it once was. It is a BIG player almost overnite, and having growing pains. Will that change to a more efficient company? Who knows, wait and see.
Interstate seems to be smaller like CFI was, and runs mostly Chicago and west, which suits me fine. Pay is comparable.
Training is a big ? at the moment.

Again, thanks from all of us noobs for your insight from your many years experience Skywalker, it IS appreciated!
Cheers
Old 09-17-2007, 07:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Roadie, your welcome, and its my pleasure to be of service!!

You are right about concerns regarding CFI....I often wonder how the purchase will affect them overall. Conway has to integrate their teams into CFI as CFI's Operations will control the "truckload" part of the business, and any time that you have an acquisition in motion....there is inevitably a "shakeout" period..... I see the purchase as a plus for CFI...but there will be some changes. Hopefully they will end up being positive changes.

I can honestly say that at one point in my career some years ago....I looked into ID...as their drivers that I spoke with were very happy with the company, but back then....they did not hire where I live in FL. That seems to have changed. In all fairness....my view is this: A lack of complaints or negatives addressed to a company is as much a positive as compliments are. 8)

But, as I said....my contacts with their drivers was long ago, and it would behoove you to try and talk to some of their current drivers to get feedback so that you could make an informed decision on any company. 8)

Old 09-20-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie
Thanks for the input CrazyTulip!
I have not been able to find much on interstate, guess that is good in away, not too many unhappy people.
They used to have a training program set up it appears from the website. Do you know if they still are doing that?
I DO like the idea of west of Chicago as well. Would really be intersted in hearing more from you and others on Interstate.
Sent them an email request and havent heard back yet.
Cheers
Crazytulips Hubbie here,

They do offer the training still, they have autoshifts.

they have inverters already installed in the trucks with 110V outlets installed 1 under bunk 1 in tv cubbie and 1 behind drivers seat, this was cool for me at least.

they like you to chain up in winter, you dont have to,but they still would like it.

non forced dispatch.

we were out of Lebanon,TN and went to the tacoma yard alot, mostly drop and hook but some live unloads.

also there is alot of loads along the I-5 Corridor From Tacoma area to L.A.

Barstow,CA period is off limits to drivers as the truckstops could not convince INTD that they were safe enough for its driver but thats what they told us. (Started with Flying J and then all of them)

I did a boo boo to be honest and got let go but even then they said i could come back later, it was my mistake and i do not blame them, but their log book dept is inept

they also have a laptop purchase program, they will pay the first $1500 towards a laptop for the driver at 0% and take it out of the drivers check at $29 a week, we both got one and i belive the deal is through CDW now

they use a western union fuel card and you have a fuel plan they send, no fuel book, truck washes are at terminals only when i left, was every 30 days at terminals and Blue Beacons but they cut the blue beacons and let you wash anytime at a terminal.

if i think of anything more i will let you know

we do have friends who worked for CFI and they liked it but she couldnt pass the drivers test for 13 speed after they told them they wouldnt use one.

sorry if this rambles but i am tired.

going back on the road again next week hope all goes well with both of us.
http://truckerweatherwatch.org
Old 09-20-2007, 06:34 PM

Thaks for all the info Radaremtjcw, I really appreciate it.
We pulled the trigger and started with sage tech trng here in SLC. We then sent a student application in to Interstate so they are checking us out at the moment.
What can you tell me about dentention pay, breakdown and layover, lumpers pay, etc?
Does "hometime" have to be at a drop yard, or can you take it home, or local t/s near where you want down time. We are not real interested in gettng back here all the time, but need hometime in different locations, like KCmo, yuma/phoenix area, wisc, to see family. Can you bank days off for future? How long?
Anything else relevant would be GREATLY appreciated. Feel free to PM as well.
Cheers