User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2007, 12:13 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Learning to Secure and Tarp with Melton

Recently my application was accepted by Melton. The recruiter told me that I would be trained to secure and tarp during a 5 day orientation. After orientation I will be assigned a truck and sent out on my own. On my own after 5 days? YIKES! Somehow, this seems a little too quick to me. I have no flatbed experience. I do have 7 mos dry van experience with Werner. So besides making the transition from dry van to flatbed, I will also be adjusting to 13 speed from 9 speed and paper logs as opposed to paperless logs. It just seems like a lot of ground to cover in 5 days. Am I worrying for nothing?

Melton seems like a good company. I don't think they would just throw a driver into one of their trucks without making sure he can get it done, would they? I had also applied to TMC and Maverick. Both shot me down over a 2 pt careless driving ticket that is over two yrs old. So I appreciate Melton giving me a shot here. I just hope I can handle it and do the job correctly and safely. I have been told most of the work is common sense and practice. Still, it seems to me that a whole lot of things can go wrong very quickly without proper instruction. Any input from knowledgeable flatbedders would be appreciated.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:45 AM

They won't turn you loose until you and they feel confident.You can learn alot in 5 days.Most places that you pick up there will be other flatbed drivers probably Melton.If you aren't sure of something ask.Most flatbedders will answer any questions.If in doubt call safety.It is alot of common sense.Just take your time.If they are like the other flatbed companies I have driven for you will carry a book in the truck that has diagrams on how to secure and tarp the most common loads they carry. I know Melton carries alot of steel coils.They will show you how to secure and tarp them.Always asked questions.You will be just fine.One thing to remember drive a flat bed like you are carrying water and you will be fine.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhauler2007
One thing to remember drive a flat bed like you are carrying water and you will be fine.
By golly... I'm adding that line to my list o Prolific Statements.
One o these days I'll be able to publish my "The Art of Trucking" to match Sun Tzu's "The Art of War"... but I'll credit you for the contribution.. :wink:
Old 08-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the vote of confidence steelhauler.
Turns out Melton's safety dept shot down my application after the recruiter repeatedly insisted it was a go. I can't figure these people out. All of this happened after the application was approved. And yes I was totally upfront. Even told them why my app with TMC and Maverick was rejected. Well, I guess all things happen for a reason. No biggie.
Thanks again!
Old 08-25-2007, 11:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Try Arrow they are not a bad company and they have a great training program and they will send you out with a trainer for a few weeks. Alot of changes for the good are going on over there. Just DO NOT let them talk ya into a lease truck :wink:

tootie

Adopt a Minpin
minpinrescue.org
Old 08-26-2007, 07:48 PM

What was the careless driving charge all about? What were you doing?
Old 08-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Senior Board Member

One thing I learned quickly in my flatbedding days is if you ask most flatbedders are more than willing to give you pointers on how to secure a load if you are not sure.