User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How can I get a "shuttle run" like these?

Hello all, I've been driving OTR for about 6 months now and have talked to a lot of drivers and heard a lot of different things from each. What I want to know, is I've heard of some different guys that have what I've heard referred to as "shuttle runs", in which they only run from one place to another, and do that a certain number of times a week depending on how far the run is. For example, I have heard of one driver that lives in PA that only does the same run from PA to California and back, and is home every 2 weeks. I heard about another guy that lived in South Carolina and would do 3 runs to Florida in a week and back, and is home 2 days a week. Finally, I heard about a guy that does runs over the weekend from Florida up to Indianapolis and back, and gets home a few days a week. Unfortunately, I never talked to any of these guys personally, I just heard this information from other drivers and even heard about one of them from a shipper.

My question to all of you guys out there is how do you get a "shuttle run" like these? I know they probably require a few years of experience, but once you have your few years, where should I look for an opportunity like these? Or do you have to be an O/O to do this? I'm just wondering because I'm interested in finding something like this in the future with a more consistent schedule and more predictable home time. I work for Swift right now and it doesn't seem like they have many opportunities like these. You are either regional or all 48 states. So what kind of companies if any would have these kinds of "shuttle run" opportunities? Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your responses. Thanks again.

Tom
Old 08-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Senior Board Member

I have one open right now in PA. However you have to live close to breezewood PA. How close to you live to there and if not near what part of PA do you live in and I will keep an eye out for you.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:51 PM

I live about 90 miles from Breezewood. What kind of shuttle run is this? From Breezewood to where?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Yeah, I just found one of your posts that said you live in Indiana Pa.
You are about 25 miles outside of the hiring radius for that job. I need someone located within 20 or so miles from 76.
This was an automotive parts run that runs from Hebron, KY to Mansfield, MA. 38 cpm, home about every other day and off on the weekends. What we do is we hire a couple of drivers near Hebron, a coupld of drivers near mansfield and then a couple right in the middle of the lane. Then the drivers do relay type things with freight. Pretty simple little job. All no touch and drop and hook. Shame you dont live a little closer. I only require 3 months experience for that job.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Senior Board Member

I used to do a "shuttle run" between El Paso and Dallas/Ft. Worth 2 to 3 times a week. This was when I worked for an O/O with only about 8 mos experience at the time so it is possible to get these types of jobs.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:18 PM

If it is possible to get these kinds of jobs, how do I do it? How can I find out about them? No one that I talk to seems to know too much about any of these opportunities. I just want to find something say, for example, that goes from PA to the midwest (St Louis, Kansas City) and back, or something like that. How would I go about finding out if anything like this exists? Thanks.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:15 PM
Board Regular

I dont kow if its possible as a CO. driver but i have O/O's who do 2 rounds a week from West Mi to Harrisburg Pa area. Home once during the week and on the weekends.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:24 PM

Crash, so you are saying you pretty much need to be an O/O to be able to run like that? That is kinda what I figured, although I'm almost positive the one guy talking about the guy doing the 3 runs a week from SC to Florida was a company driver for someone......can't quite remember who though. Thanks anyways.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Rookie

My Brother works for PAM, or one of their subsidiaries and runs on a GM dedicated account from St. Louis to Louisiana. He lives in Arkansas and is through the house almost every night and is usually home Friday afternoon then heads out early Monday morning.

I'm not sure how he fell into this run, but he's been doing it for about 5 years now.

Cheers,
Landog
Old 08-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Rookie

Sheepdancer, Do you have any runs like that around St. Louis Mo? I live around 60 miles west of the city on hwy 44.