User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 04:45 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default informaton about TYSON or TRANSPAORT AMERICA wanted

any information about TYSON or TRANSPORT AMERICA is wanted especially about miles and the nignt running with tyson-thank you
Old 08-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Senior Board Member

Doboy,

To easily answer your question, do not bother going with Tyson. The pay may be good with Tyson, however, to get straight to the point, you WILL be doing alot of sitting. I've hauled Tyson loads before with Priority and i've sat the most of 4 days, yes, you read correct, i have sat 4 days at any givin Tyson plant. Then, YOU the driver, must make up a distance of 1500 miles in exactly 9 hours in a gouverned truck. You the driver are expected to be at point B in exactly 9 hours, not a minute more or less without stopping. I am NOT BSing you on that.

I have worked for Transport America about 3 years ago and they did give me enough time to rest. Transport wants you to work your 14 hours out and take your 10 hour break. Therefore, the best choice would be to work for Transport America.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper01
Doboy,

To easily answer your question, do not bother going with Tyson. The pay may be good with Tyson, however, to get straight to the point, you WILL be doing alot of sitting. I've hauled Tyson loads before with Priority and i've sat the most of 4 days, yes, you read correct, i have sat 4 days at any givin Tyson plant. Then, YOU the driver, must make up a distance of 1500 miles in exactly 9 hours in a gouverned truck. You the driver are expected to be at point B in exactly 9 hours, not a minute more or less without stopping. I am NOT BSing you on that.

I have worked for Transport America about 3 years ago and they did give me enough time to rest. Transport wants you to work your 14 hours out and take your 10 hour break. Therefore, the best choice would be to work for Transport America.
Well you didn't work FOR Tyson. Tyson drivers get priority loads over contracted companies. It's cost effective for them to do so. That goes for any company that has their own fleet like Tyson, Walmart, etc.

Go to http://www.bigriglife.com/ and check out the info there. The owner of the site works for Tyson and keeps a blog going there.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Senior Board Member

I read the link you posted, Greg, and that link was writin by a NEWBIE!!!

I also read that he is going to be driving 2700 miles per 8 day week. When i hauled Tyson loads, does not matter if i was a Tyson driver or a contracted driver. I do not like sitting for the most of 4 days then expected to driver overnight to make up 1500 miles. Also, i have seen Tyson drivers sit as well for at least 8 hours.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper01
I read the link you posted, Greg, and that link was writin by a NEWBIE!!!

I also read that he is going to be driving 2700 miles per 8 day week. When i hauled Tyson loads, does not matter if i was a Tyson driver or a contracted driver. I do not like sitting for the most of 4 days then expected to driver overnight to make up 1500 miles. Also, i have seen Tyson drivers sit as well for at least 8 hours.
Their drivers average 2600 miles a week. But the cpm is higher and their drivers average $52000 a year. I would do $52000 a year to drive 2600 a week. They also have a good benfits package. Average time out is 8-10 days. They seem to be a decent company that treats their drivers good. I think if someone makes a career of OTR, a private fleet is the way to go.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:45 AM
Rookie

Well here comes an educated comment from someone who works at Tyson and have now for 2 years. Yes you do sit some at our plants thats because when the order is made the animals are still alive, that is why we call it Tyson Fresh Meats now. As a Tyson driver you do sit but you are paid $70 a day to sit as long as you did not go 200 miles that day. When an outside carrier like Priority sits that long its your dispatchers fault not Tysons. We give them the bill by time on the load and if they send you in 4 days early that is their problem not ours. You will run at Tyson if you want, I average right at 3000 a week and Im paid well for it. I depends on where you live how your miles are. I live in Ottawa, IL right by a DC so my miles are good and I get through the house a lot. However if you play with your logs they will show you the door quickly. I will be here unitl I give up reefers so we are not the best but we are a lot better than most. Its all what you make it.