User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 01:12 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default tmc info

ok guys,i have been offered a job at tmc.and will attend orentation in des moines unfortunately.columbia sc is much much closer but he said they only put experinced drivers through des moines.im looking for orientation info how long is it what is the driving test like.do you have to use the clutch.how much load securement do they show you.as stated im experinced but every one has there own ways.thanks for all the info guys.phillip
Old 08-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: tmc info

Orientation for experience drivers in DM is as follows.

Prior verified flatbed experience - typically 3 days, sometimes 5 if they want to make sure you can secure frieght properly.

Driving test - last approximately 15 minutes (8 miles or so) - basic turns and shifting. Most of the instructors do not care whether you double clutch or float. Either does not impress them, they just want to know that you know when to use the clutch. Backing is basically a 45 - blind side. Make sure to turn your flashers on and get out and look - they will dock points for no G.O.A.L..

The kitty cats do not like R.P.M. over 1500, and progressive shifting is a plus in the eyes of the instructor. Coming from a truck with a Detroit, the instructor had plenty of oppurtunity to jump me on RPM.

Most of the classroom stuff is what you have experienced elswhere, some videos on safety, load securement, the CAT video, the VORAD video (ugghh), and the traction and anti-roll stuff. Presentations by Logs, Insurance, Safety, the Allstate guys (supplemental insurance like AFLAC), and Recruiting.

If they cannot confirm your flatbed experience or it is minimal, you may be required to spend some time OTR with a trainer. 1, 2, or 4 weeks.

The motel is above average, there is an onsite cafeteria which is average (not bad actually) and several local restuarants deliver. The motel is WiFi equipped thoughout, a well equiped weight room, sauna and swimming pool.

The first day of orientation is the longest, but you should be out of class by 1600 or so, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th days we usually knocked off by 1500.

IF you are verified adequate flatbed experienced, you will be out of there (or at least processing to pick up your truck) Wednesday afternoon. Probably assigned a load by Friday, depending on where you have to pick your truck up from, if you are real lucky, you will be assigned in DM, lucky would be Joplin, not so lucky either Indy or Columbia.

If you will have to go out with a trainer, they usually make those assignments on Friday, put you and a couple of other guys in a rental to go home for the weekend, and meet up with your trainer for dispatch on Monday. They cover this process in detail on Friday.

Good Luck, and if you have any other questions feel free to shoot them at us either on the board or you can pm or e-mail me.

Louis
Truck 91354 - Long Haul

Quote:
Originally Posted by infrontofu
ok guys,i have been offered a job at tmc.and will attend orentation in des moines unfortunately.columbia sc is much much closer but he said they only put experinced drivers through des moines.im looking for orientation info how long is it what is the driving test like.do you have to use the clutch.how much load securement do they show you.as stated im experinced but every one has there own ways.thanks for all the info guys.phillip
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 08-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Note - There is another TMC thread which has moved back to the top of the board, that is quite extensive. With both good and bad post.
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA