User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

What kind of equipment do they run, is it decent. Whats the pay like and what are the major running lanes. What kind of hometime do they offer. Thanks
Old 07-29-2007, 09:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhauler2007
I am scheduled for orientation in B'ham terminal.Then I will run out of Lone Star yard. I line by Austin Texas.Do you get home pretty regular on weekends?
Yes, on the weeken'd. Althought some are shorter than others...! Lone Star should be good for you. Most drivers I talk to out of there seem pretty happy. You'll have plenty of loads, since USSteel just bought out Lone Star Steel.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter823
What kind of equipment do they run, is it decent.
International 9400 with 10 speed Eaton. Retinour and MAC aluminum trailers. You'll get messages every 25,000 miles to get PM's done. Any breakdowns are just a message or phone call away from getting repairs.
Quote:
Whats the pay like
I don't really see why anyone shouldn't be grossing at least $8 to $900 a week after their truck.
Quote:
and what are the major running lanes
Running out of B'ham we usually follow the steel "trail"...B'ham, Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania, etc....
Quote:
What kind of hometime do they offer. Thanks
3 out of 4 week-ends at home. (The definition of what a week-end is may be up for disscussion though :wink: )
Old 07-30-2007, 12:45 AM
Senior Board Member

I used to run for Passmore. Where you live you'll be home constantly. Shouldn't be a problem at all getting home on the weekends and more than likely you'll sleep in your own bed at least once or twice in the middle of the week. Pay is good, especially this time of year. You should be bringing home between $700 and $900 a week. Maybe more depending on hard you like to run. I'd load out of Duke, OK, Fletcher, OK, Quanah, TX (Acme, TX), and Rotan, TX constantly, frequently heading for the Austin and San Antonio areas. Also loaded a lot out of Houston headed for Oklahoma and west Texas and New Mexico. Also carried a lot of coils out of Louisiana to Ballinger and Abilene. You're really in an ideal spot for hometime.

With your experience you'll have about two to two-and-a-half days of orientation. You'll be assigned a late-model 379 Pete, CAT 475 C-15, 9-speed tranny. Yeah, the tranny sucks. Really need a 13-speed, but whatcha gonna do? They also have a few mid-roof W-9's, but they're being phased out. Your trailers will be 48 and 50 foot spread-axle Reitnouers. Nice trucks, nice trailers. You'll drop-and-hook at least once a week so you'll carry very little on your trailer except your lumber tarps. They're six-foot drop tarps so pretty easy to deal with. You'll be hauling A LOT of drywall and A LOT of drill pipe.

The company office is in Altus, OK. About 14 miles from the American Gypsum plant in Duke. You'll load out of Duke quite often. The yard is pretty small. Pretty close-knit group. Wayne will be your instructor in orientation. Good guy, but never driven a truck in his life. Get to know Danny, if he's still there. Long time trucker and point man for the shop crew. He's awesome and has a ton of stories. Get to know him well. He'll take care of you.

That's it off the top of my head. What else do you want to know?
Old 07-30-2007, 01:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvsreck
I used to run for Passmore.
if you don't mind me asking, why did you leave them and who are you pulling for now?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvsreck
I used to run for Passmore.
if you don't mind me asking, why did you leave them and who are you pulling for now?
It wasn't Passmore. They were a great company. They were bought out by Prime a while back, so I don't know how it's gonna be in the future. The problem was me. I just don't like OTR driving. I like driving, I like flatbedding, but I hate living in a truck. In my current position, I still flatbed, but it's the same schedule every day, weekends off, and I actually get to work, (sweat, ache, heart rate increases, ya know... those things truckers shy away from), from time to time. Despite the rumors, tarping is not work. Anyway... yeah, Passmore is a great company, but I'm much happier where I'm at.

Still wish I had that Pete! D@mn, I loved that thing! 8)
Old 07-31-2007, 03:07 PM
Board Icon

Yeah, Passmore is a good company. I've never driven for them, but all I heard is good. I see them all the time rollin through here. I see a lot of them Passmore boys in Benjamin, Tx at the HWY 6/82 intersection. They come down HWY 6 out of Quanah (picking up sheetrock), and either head west Towards Lubbock, or east on 82. (I'm guessing, heading east, going towards Abilene)

So, nrvsreck, who do ya drive for now? From what it sounds, I guess you are working locally?

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 08-13-2007, 04:53 AM
Board Regular

Hello:
I am 57, soon 58. Thinking of getting my CDL, my first thoughts was trying flatbeds or maybe bulk. Now thinking again of flatbeds. Seems to be better pay, less waiting at grocery stores, and possibly a little more home time. More interesting also.
Does anyone know of any flatbed companies that have training school? Any advice? What about PGT?
Nice to see you steelhauler.
Devildice: great thread, I have been reading of your adventures for awhile now. Please keep us wannabees informed.
Thanks for the help.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:26 PM

I'm with PGT and so far it's been a good company to me. But last I heard they still were not taking on students for the time being.