User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default explaining Gap In Employment

Sup Everyone,
recently i posted here and got some insights and advice which i thank the ones who posted :P

I have applied here and at a few other webasites that connects you to over 50 companies at once and after 100 places pass on me all i can see is that its b/c i have over a yr off due to 4 family members passing on 3 months apart thru 2006 ..
Now i did work but it was all G-Jobs (under the table) and i flipped my grandparents house to help my father b/c he's disabled and a fixed income so i did what i felt was right thing to do.

alot of people lose family members everyday and still work i understand that..but i feel this is way different b/c of the cancer and what we had to due to help these family members ..its a horrible thing to watch and you feel helpless and it tore my wife apart with her mother passing...

I'm not looking for sympathy ...i'm looking for real ideas on what i can do when i fill out these apps b/c most have no spaces for this explanation and when they see the dates i probably get deleted and they move on to a better prospect
Old 07-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Rookie

Simply put down "family health issues". Don't mention any under the table income.

Try to talk to the recruiter before you send in the app, otherwise their automated programs may screen you out before human eyes ever see the app.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:10 PM

You mentioned that you worked on a house.Can you get someone to verify that in writing. Get proof of the funerals.Like a obituary from the paper.Anything that will verify the gap in employment. A good recruiter can help you through this.Not knowing what your experience is or driving record I can't suggest any companies. I would contact compnies by phone instead of an online application,this will give you alot better chance.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Rookie

Some companies will except a 3rd party notarized letter saying that you were not employed at any full time job, or in jail, etc......

Actually most companies will accept that. If not you can provide a Social Security print out that shows that you have not received any taxable income durning that time period.

You really shouldnt have that many problems, as long as you are willing to do what I mentioned above.

I hope this answers your question.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:43 AM

Thx for the Advice
I do have all the Funeral Cards for guest gives all info.that i can do .
Sadly my father isnt very cooperative with anything anymore.he wont sign anything.
Notary and social sercuity is possible ..not sure how to do these those.
I will research and see if i come up witjh anything.
My driving experience is almost 3yrs old ,i graduted from schneider national 08/24/04 and i drove 3 months otr with 17 states.
CDL-AX Hazmat. (tanker was added this yr and i also got Sercuity clearance for hazmat renew .think its homeland sercuity check that was this yr too.
No tickets.
no felonies.
No Dui's.
even i feel i need a refresher and i want to go with a trainer again,i would expect that.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:42 AM
Senior Board Member

One other way to "validate" any gaps in employment is to go to a member of the Clergy....who knows you, and an Attorney, maybe one that handled the affairs of family members.... ask them to write a letter to: "To whom it may concern" explaining that you were "taking care of family business, etc. You could also go to the Doctors that took care of the now deceased family members..... and get them to write you a letter as well.

One thing that the "gap" is causing is a flag to pop up....that leads someone to think that its possible that you were a resident of the "graybar" motel and are hiding that fact. Having letters from professionals and clergy in your community....will go a long way to dispel the issue.

You might also go down to the county seat or circuit court... and get copies of your "criminal history"....or lack there of. A report of "none" is preferable, of course. 8)

These are things that I did after I sold my businesses. I took some time off before getting into this rat-race....and so I had to deal with pretty much the same issues as you, except that I was "self-employed" for the previous 9 or 10 years.... had to cough up tax filings to back that up.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:04 PM

Well So far CRST has contacted me and are wanting me to Team.

I never Teamed before and i perfer to go solo.but we 'll see ..but i wanted to post about the info you guys gave me ...great advice ..clears up my Gaps..what i'am doing is i'm writing a letter stating i declare i was self-employed working for family and i was NOT collecting Unemployment between 7/2006-7/2007 and i have 3 references with their info and had them sign it.then have it notarized.also they sent me a form with same info and i need to get 2 references for that...(was thinking i should make a few copies of that form)...

I have searched for CRST info and most seems to be bad lol...thats never good...hope-ing for some positive posts ....

I do have 5 other companys that want me to call them with more info...figure after i get all this info straightened out i can send them the info too...

So far the ball is rolling slow but rolling..I have been Looking for Laptops and GPS for peace of mind and entertainment and tele commuticating with the wife...figured i can set up web cams sometime in the future after i'm done got thru the 6 month hump ...
Have also searched GPS /Laptops here and seen abunch of info...for me i'm thinking
CoPilot Truck | Laptop 9 USB---would anyone know if PCmiller maps come with or should i grab MS Streets also...
another questions for co-pilot..USB or bluetooth for reliability?

thx for any info have a safe day eveyone