User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2007, 03:40 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Checking in to say hi.

Well folks, after my disastrous experience with Swift's El Paso terminal's orientation, I floated around a little and ended up driving a school bus for a few weeks. It sucked.
I talked to my CDL school recruiter and we decided to give Covenant a try.
I attended their orientation in Dallas. It was so much more professional than Swift's! Paperwork was organized and well done. We were treated with respect. We were housed and fed very well. The instructors knew our names. The physical surroundings were more than comfortable. The orientation teaching staff knew their stuff!
In a class of 17 (experienced, noobies, singles and couples returning to Covenant) I was the only one who didn't have any paperwork returned from Chatanooga. I was damned lucky, I figure.
My trainer was there waiting for me when my orientation was done. He was a good guy, very patient and trusted me soon into the game.
We ran coast to coast in 3 weeks and had a good time. Unfortunately, I found that my night vision isn't what it used to be. After a couple of weeks of mostly night driving, my eyesight was so strained that it really began to scare me. When we got within 300 miles of my home, I talked with my trainer about my concerns and told him of my decision to leave the truck for the sake of everyone's safety. He understood completely.
I find that I miss driving out there with you guys and gals, but now feel safer driving for a local limo company. Most of the time I'm driving a Medicaid van, haulin' passengers to and from various medical appointments. It's been a real education as I'm meeting folks with all kinds of challenges and unique abilities. It makes me thankful that my family is well and doesn't have to rise to the challenges that many do.
I'm not getting rich, but I'm making enough to be comfortable, keep the bills paid, buy a new computer and go out to dinner almost as often as I'd like. We work days of from 8 to 14 hours, but we're home every night. It doesn't suck too much.
I guess I just wanted to say Hi to all, and to put in my two cents about the positive experience I had with Covenant. Granted, I wasn't with them long enough to really know what goes on, but the initial vibe was good and I felt like I was treated as a valuable human being.
Some of you guys might want to give them a try ~ or not ~

FriPilot

www.thehungersite.com