User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default LCT - Lester Coggins?

Hello all,

Does anyone have experience with LCT (Lester Coggins)? I just applied with them online and received a quick auto-response from their recruiter about the benefits and "Cal Me Today!".

I also applied with other companies and received nothing (not even a "hey, we got your application, nice try"): Superior Carriers, Carry Transit, Averitt and ATL Trucking. Superior and Carry (both entities of Superior Bulk Logistics) had 8-pages of application to fill out... I took the time, but they couldn't respond? I know I'm just a speck of dust among thousands of other would-be applicants, but still.

So, I continue to apply and even though it's apparent the response from LCT was automated, at least it's an acknowledgement.

Any former or current drivers of LCT? I value your opinions!

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-11-2007, 04:40 PM

chicodawg wrote:

Quote:
I also applied with other companies and received nothing (not even a "hey, we got your application, nice try"): Superior Carriers, Carry Transit, Averitt and ATL Trucking. Superior and Carry (both entities of Superior Bulk Logistics) had 8-pages of application to fill out... I took the time, but they couldn't respond? I know I'm just a speck of dust among thousands of other would-be applicants, but still.
Dawg,

I feel your pain on that point. I too, did the mass application route on CAD and other places and I too thought that at the very least they could acknowledge that I had at least expended the energy to type out an app. But, apparently recruiters are so inundated with applications that common courtesy goes right out the window. I'm certain I'll be taken to task by the recruiters on this forum, but, it's just one man's opinion.
"It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations." --explaining his troubles winning over some working-class voters - BARACK OBAMA
Old 07-11-2007, 05:10 PM
Rookie

Maybe that's two opinions. heh! I agree with you.

If they didn't have their Emails or applications available online, I could understand.

But, if a company offers that option as an avenue to get drivers to work for their company, and that driver uses that option (and time) to show an interest, they should at least respond.

LCT did respond, although automatically, and now I'm continuing my interest in them by posting for comments here and asking around. They may suck to work for, and I'm sure I'll hear that, but they took a step that no other company has.

Thanks for the reply!

Mike
Old 07-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Rookie

I have not worked for LCT but my husband did, It's not a bad company if you like to deal with plants, when eve you have to take a load out of florida it's plants, and you have to unload them, no drop and hook there! and as far as the miles as a solo driver my husband avaraged about 500.00 a week, there wasn't that many miles with them, but if you need home time and just some money then there ok. also the mostly just run the south east.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply, smyli. How long ago did your husband work there?

I know a lot of these companies make up benefits or "what we offer" deals to get applicants in the door and LCT's website (video) claims "2,700 miles/wk average".

Can't survive on 500-miles/wk, if that's what it really is.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-11-2007, 10:18 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

SemperFi, regarding apps getting replied to...even if you posted an app to every company on CAD, there are filtering options that companies use that could very easily have prevented your app from reaching them. Those filtering abilities could be tied to felonies, DUI's, experience, age, location, etc.

For example, if a driver up in Montana applies and clicks on Heartland as one of the companies he's applying to, I would not receive the app because we don't hire out of Montana and choose not to receive them. Likewise, I do not get apps from drivers listing no experience, either. Different companies will set up different filtering systems, so that's probably part of the reason you didn't hear back from that many.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Senior Board Member

As far as Superior Carriers responding.....since you live in Wesley Chapel (Suburb of Tampa)....unless you were applying for a job running around the area in a daycab...its not all that likely that you will get a response. Truth be known....at present there is a moratorium on "system drivers" like myself who live in FL. I was the last "system driver" hired in FL.

Carry Transit has a terminal that it shares with Superior in Lakeland.... but the majority of those jobs are also locally oriented. As to whether or not they run any system drivers out of there I really couldn't tell you.

If you are interested in getting a job with either of the companies I would suggest that you call and speak with the respective terminal managers for each company. Its the best way to get the response that you want.

Superior: 863-859-1118 or 859-1295

Carry: 800-234-2095

I have never put much stock in "internet applications".....I've always gone directly to the party to who I wish to speak. If you filled out one of those applications on line...you have done a good part of what needs to be done.

One filter that may come into play is the time requirement for either OTR or tanker experience. With Superior it would also be the absolutely mandatory requirement for a Hazmat Endorsement. We are a Hazmat Tanker company....even though many of our loads are not HM.

Give them a call....if you meet the requirements....it'll be worth your while. Pay and benefits are outstanding....and the companies and the people are excellent to work for and with.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Mike...

When you told me your concerns about not hearing back from us, I had told you bluntly that Superior had placed a hiring freeze for O.T.R. drivers out of Florida. I can't speak for the Lakeland Carry yard, but have said it repeatedly (as has several others on here), call the terminal manager and talk with them directly about potential openings.

Also, Twilight Flyer made a very effective point concerning "filters" for applications. Not only here on CAD, but with individual companies as well. To the best of my knowledge, all apps for Superior and Carry go to each company's respective "H.Q" and are then forwarded to the closest terminal to the prospective driver... If the driver isn't contacted they ("H.Q.") may have seen something on the app that didn't meet all requirements or disqualified them.

As for Lester Coggins, I had a friend work their for all of about two weeks. I won't go into specifics , but he was not a happy camper during his brief stay! :x

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 07-13-2007, 02:49 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the response about LCT, Cyanide. I am curious about them...

I remember your messages and the info that Superior isn't hiring OTR in Florida (immediately after I applied, ha!). And, one of the reasons I pursued Superior is because of the great things you have to say about them.

But, the frustration here is from the lack of such "we're not hiring now" information from the companies, or the "you don't qualify, or meet our standards, but we won't tell you that" mentality. I feel I did my part and put the effort to get the ball rolling and the end result is being ignored.

I wrote the terminal managers for Superior and Carry, over a month ago, expressing an interest in working for them. Nothing! If they only respond to phone calls, take the EMail addresses off the website!

If I don't qualify, knowing "why" would help a great deal and might be dealt with by a simple explanation - what do I need to do to qualify? Or, maybe I answered a question wrong?

When they can't take a few seconds to respond, it reminds me of when my daughter raises her hand and says "talk to the hand..."

Mike
Old 07-13-2007, 03:05 AM
Senior Board Member

But did you call? Keep in mind that its quite possible that your internet application didn't get there. SO they may not even know that you exist.

I gave you an 800# for Carry, and the local # for Superior....I don't have their 800#. A phone call would only take a few minutes and you would have your answers, one way or the other.

Frankly, knowing what I know..... My best advice to you would be to invest a little time in phone work, and pursue what you really want to do....if its tankers, do it. But you won't get the answers til you make the effort.

If you want to pull a reefer for LCT.....do it. But I think maybe, just maybe, instead of them....you might want to look into Southpoint over in Winter Haven, or even ABCO out of Tampa area. LCT is a Gainey company.... and while I haven't heard much negative about them, I can't say I have heard much positive either.

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.