User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 02:32 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default first post...any knowledge to share ?especially from new dri

I`m very strongly considering making a career change from automotive service into the driving industry.I`m rapidly approaching 40 and have an excellent driving record and clean background.I`m married and have two great girls age 18 and 14 ( one sophomore in college..other sophomore in HS.)My wife is supportive of this idea and we`ve talked of even team driving in a few years after our youngest is into college.
I`ve been reading every relevant post I can find on several different sites,but this seems to be the best one by far.
I`m interested in flatbedding for several different reasons,one is I dont mind to do physical labor and can stand hot and cold weather,another is because flatbedding seems to pay better than vans ,and lastly just because everybody else pulls vans.
I`m leaning toward TMC or Maverick and have sent applications to both.
The recruiter I spoke with at TMC says my app. looks good and to call him when I get enrolled in a CDL school ...( he seemed a little bit reluctant to spend any more time on the phone with me until I was in "school")
The recruiter I spoke with at Maverick seems like he is really interested and is ready to help.They obviously also have their own training program ,which is a big plus for me.I realize they sometimes have a "wait "for their training...but it would seem to be worth the wait according to several posts on this board.Mavericks pay and benefits seem comparable to TMC..., and Maverick allows riders ,(also a big plus for me).
I dont intend to rekindle the TMC Vs. Maverick fire but am just looking for input from drivers who are "in the know"especially flatbedders that have recently been through the process with any of the companies that hire inexperienced drivers,but especially from those of you who have info on Maverick and or TMC.
I`m in the Louisville/Lexington Ky area and am open to suggestions about other companies as well.
Thanks for your time and all replies will be appreciated.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:39 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Default Re: first post...any knowledge to share ?especially from new

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansman
I`m interested in flatbedding for several different reasons,one is I dont mind to do physical labor and can stand hot and cold weather,another is because flatbedding seems to pay better than vans ,and lastly just because everybody else pulls vans.
I can recall sitting in the cab of my truck watching an intrepid flatbedder tarping his load in a cold, driving rain. I was at the dock hooked to my dryvan watching TV in the warm comfort of the big truck while being loaded. This dude was out there climbing all over the rig with a tarp in a downpour cursing and swearing the entire time.

After two solid hours he finally got it in place. And by then the load was soaked anyway. All that for a lousy $20? LOL!! If in fact he even got paid for it. That story says it all. Part of the job you say? Part of YOUR job, maybe.

Flatbeds? Throwing tarp? No thanks, not interested.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the insight...I realize the weather can SOMETIMES be a negative.
I was looking for a little more help on the decision between companies and other drivers experience with schools and such.
Thanks for the response anyway !
Old 07-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Hmmmmm......Your in "Automotive" service? Are you a Mechanic? If your a mechanic...are you a "Good" mechanic?

If you are..then I would suggest you get certified in at least 2 of the Diesel engine categories, then find a 2 or 3 bay shop, with plenty of parking area, and open up your own service company. You will struggle just as much for the first few month's, as you would as a "Newbie" driver...but...as your service reputation grew...so would your business..or not...and you will get to watch your 14 yro, become an adult.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:10 PM
Rookie

I did flatbedding for three years with six months of heavy haul. Yes flatbedding is extreme labor sometimes and sometimes its not. Yes it can be difficult when its either raining or snowing, but even more difficult when the wind is blowing especially if your tarping a load. But there is nothing wrong in taking pride in your work. Some people don't mind doing labor, some hate it. If you like to work and take pride in it, then go right ahead an be a flatbedder. TMC is one of the good companies out there.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:40 PM
Rookie

Orangtxguy

I am an ase certified master auto tech...been at this for over 20 years,13 at a GM dealer,8 in my own shop.
I`m growing tired of peoples complaining,@#$itching about prices and so on and so forth.
TIME FOR A CHANGE!
BTW my 14 year old is very mature and knowledgable for her age.

Driveline,
Thanks for the reply,what do you know about maverick ?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Rookie

Really don't know to much about Maverick like all the rest, have heard both positive and negative about them. When it comes down to it, its all of what your looking for as far as training, pay, hometime, equipment. Maverick and TMC both have good equipment.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Flatbedding pays better then driving a van?

I was pulling in an average of $1000 a week pulling my van. Take home that is.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Try talking to Flatbedfred on here. He works or worked for TMC for some time and could give you the in's and out's of the company. Hope this helped. BOL
Old 07-13-2007, 12:32 AM
Rookie

Blinddriver..
I`m just quoting what I am reading on here ...most van companies who also train seem to start out about 26-34 cpm vs. 34-39 cpm for some of the better flatbed companies...