LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalregion
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATMANN
Lewis Friend, Chad and Brian Griffin......how many more names are out there that I may be forgetting?
Ron Kneicley and Colonel Toon immediately come to mind.I'm sure there are a few more that I'm forgetting... :lol:
How could I forget the Colonel??!?!!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADLUX
Darn, you never heard of trucker Tom before? :cry:
Yeah, I know who he is. My mind went blank. :?

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 07-07-2007, 04:39 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalregion
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATMANN
Lewis Friend, Chad and Brian Griffin......how many more names are out there that I may be forgetting?
Ron Kneicley and Colonel Toon immediately come to mind.I'm sure there are a few more that I'm forgetting... :lol:
Don't forget Dawn Kirshna.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Senior Board Member

You are forgetting Cleveland Steamer, the riverboat captain.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Default Shaffer going downhill?

Hi. I had to laugh when you asked if Shaffer is going downhill. I just turned my truck in. After 1.5 years driving for them they are for sure leading in the race to the bottom.I can understand the big companies try to get the cheapest fuel, but now its at the point that when you follow their fuel solution you might park in line with MANY other trucks to get the one cent cheaper fuel.It got so bad this year that most of the time I needed to wait in the fuel line about 1h. They also started to turn the rpms of the trucks even more down, like they are not weak enough. I didnt see a better fuel milage from it,
but I just drive the truck.The latest fun part, if you drive a turnpike which is not in the routing you will pay it. And miles? I quit now since I got nothing more then 400 miles for 2 whole days. I begged the whole year for a coast to coast run, which I had many last year. But not anymore, I guess. I finally
turned my truck in when I got dispatched on just ANOTHER 60 mile run for 2 days. Be aware and good luck!
Old 07-17-2007, 01:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

What alot of people don't realize is that more and more shippers and recievers are doing is putting the longer loads on the rail system. Also remember that reefer fleets have to wait to be loaded and unloaded. Which could have an effect on miles. Did you consider transferring to CCC or Hunt before you left?

The issue about the tolls is old news. That decision was made over a year ago when they opened up the Ohio and Indiana toll roads. Drivers have always had the choice to run or not run the toll roads. The difference is whether it is better for you to run it or not.

Communication is key to the success of any company. Everybody asks for coast to coast runs. The problem with them is that they are few and far between.

Good luck though in what you decide to do.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:36 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Shaffer going downhill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehotte
I can understand the big companies try to get the cheapest fuel, but now its at the point that when you follow their fuel solution you might park in line with MANY other trucks to get the one cent cheaper fuel.It got so bad this year that most of the time I needed to wait in the fuel line about 1h.
It's to bad they weren't giving you miles enough to make a living. Hopefully you will find a better home.

As for the "Wait Times" at the pumps, I have noticed that it is becoming popular for the "Newbies", especially the non-english speaking newbies, to leave their trucks either sitting at the pump, or sitting in the pull out spot, while they go inside to eat, take their shower or in general FO.

A little over 2 weeks ago, I watched as a tow truck hooked on to one of those trucks and pulled it off a lot. I was fueled, parked at idleair & hooked up to it, then standing inside waiting for a shower, when this guy comes in and starts screaming at the desk clerk that his truck had been stolen. The clerk asked where the truck had been parked, and the guy told her right outside the door...he left it sitting there, right in front of the third fuel lane, while he ran across the street for dinner.

Served him right to get the damn thing towed. I can understand not wanting to eat at Arby's...I do not understand ignorance.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:51 PM

Soooooooo...........it appears that schaffer is indeed going downhill; Looks like i may cross them off the list.

Now, as far as the turnpike thing. That doesn't concern me too much; One of the companies i drove for had a policy of taking I-68 vs. the Penn turnpike. No bigee.

Jevic also wants you to run rt. 30 in indiana and ohio vs. the turnpike. That's not so hot, but i can understand their reasoning behind it.

My main concern is mileage. i don't really care so much if they want to take away a few hundred RPM's so much as i get my miles.

In the mean time, i will continue to listen to Tom Wiles.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Default RPMS

The RPMS were next to the missing miles the tipping point, and you can understand it only after you drove their trucks. Before they lowered the
RPMs I already couldnt keep the speed going uphill ,lets not even talk
about loaded. Now I went up the hills with 50mph EMPTY. I had the truck in the shop for 3 times when I first started at Shaffer, I thought there was something wrong with the engine at first. Till some older Shaffer drivers told me, NOPE those trucks are as low as they can buy them. And you know what? I made good money there last year. But I can take ITS SLOW/OTHERS DONT HAVE MILES EITHER/ or ITS JUST SLOW WERE YOU ARE for so long till I am getting broke. And this went on now for 7 month, I think I gave them enough time. Good luck with your choices, its not easy.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: RPMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehotte
The RPMS were next to the missing miles the tipping point, and you can understand it only after you drove their trucks. Before they lowered the
RPMs I already couldnt keep the speed going uphill ,lets not even talk
about loaded. Now I went up the hills with 50mph EMPTY. I had the truck in the shop for 3 times when I first started at Shaffer, I thought there was something wrong with the engine at first. Till some older Shaffer drivers told me, NOPE those trucks are as low as they can buy them. And you know what? I made good money there last year. But I can take ITS SLOW/OTHERS DONT HAVE MILES EITHER/ or ITS JUST SLOW WERE YOU ARE for so long till I am getting broke. And this went on now for 7 month, I think I gave them enough time. Good luck with your choices, its not easy.
My truck got turned back and the difference has been so minor as to be a non-issue. Sounds to me you got a bad truck. I rarely drop below 60mph going up a hill empty and even then it has to be a pretty big hill.
As far as waiting in line for an average of 1 hour each time you fueled that is pure bullshit. I've been with Crete nearly two years and we follow the same fuel routing you do. I have never waited an hour even once. A few times I have waited up to 30 min but even that is rare.

On top of that there is no way in hell they dispatched you on a 60 mile run with two days on it. If you want to quit go ahead but I believe you are just posting BS to make yourself feel good about your decision.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?