Old 07-04-2007, 04:07 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarshort

Now I don't have to tarp anything, get dirty, falsify my log because I sat all day waiting for a load, and get a full 10 hour break everyday. And make about 200 bucks more per weeks than I ever made at TMC.
So why should I ever look back?
You knew about tarping before you applied. Common sense will tell you you will get dirty doing this type of work. Take a shower. They are available. As far as falsifying your log, I don't know what to say. There is no one on earth that can force you to do this other than yourself. Since you chose to do it, it is on you. One call to Safety would end all the pressure. Why do you continue to blame others?

You know damn well what I mean....Tell me you haven't sat ALL day waiting for a load, finally get dispatched, go get loaded, then figure out you have barely enough time to get to the consignee if you drive all night?

That doesn't leave time for showers or legal breaks.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Now I don't have to tarp anything, get dirty, falsify my log because I sat all day waiting for a load, and get a full 10 hour break everyday. And make about 200 bucks more per weeks than I ever made at TMC.
You knew about tarping before you applied. Common sense will tell you you will get dirty doing this type of work. Take a shower. They are available. As far as falsifying your log, I don't know what to say. There is no one on earth that can force you to do this other than yourself. Since you chose to do it, it is on you. One call to Safety would end all the pressure. Why do you continue to blame others?
I do know what you mean. You chose to do it. Don't place the blame on anyone else. Go through your FM and get the delivery time changed. If he won't call safety, it will get changed. If you chose to run, it is still on you. My circumstances are slightly different, I am Long Haul. I change delivery times, including appointment times frequently. If I can do it, I do it, if I can't I change it. My FM trust me, if I say I can't do it, he doesn't argue. You keep trying to blame TMC for something you were entirely in control of.

You know damn well what I mean....Tell me you haven't sat ALL day waiting for a load, finally get dispatched, go get loaded, then figure out you have barely enough time to get to the consignee if you drive all night?

That doesn't leave time for showers or legal breaks.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:22 AM
Senior Board Member

I agree I was in control. But also realize if you don't pull an all-nighter and fudge your logs at TMC you won't make a descent paycheck.

If I can't bring home a minimum of $1,000 a week by working legal then I will do something else.

For now I am achieving those goals so I am content.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman932003
In my opinion, one should never look at a company as a stepping stone. You should look at a company as a possible new company to stick with! Don't get that job hopper mentality. Thats just my 2 cents!
I've never worked for TMC, and don't have any meaningful opinion of them. I agree with your attitude though. I've just been through a layoff, and trying to find a new home. It took me a long time to find somewhere I thought I might be able to stick with. I may not hang around, but it's looking like I probably will.

Trucking companies are a lot like spouses. You can't have everything unless you just happen to get extremely lucky. Maybe you're married to a good woman who loves you dearly, and only has eyes for you, but her butt is way too big, and her cooking sucks. Do you go through all the misery of divorce to chase after the woman who cooks great and has a nice butt?

A lot of guys do, and a lot of guys go broke paying alimony too. I almost did myself, but I came around, and am better off for it.

I'm not saying there are no bad marriages, because sure there are, and I'm not saying there are no bad companies either. I'm just saying any job, even the very first, should be viewed as a sort of marriage. You should try to find something that's going to work over the long haul, and you should avoid the job hopper mentality. If you know you're just going with Company X to bide your time until a real opportunity comes along, maybe you should sit back and reconsider, before you get stuck with alimony payments.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:00 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman932003
In my opinion, one should never look at a company as a stepping stone. You should look at a company as a possible new company to stick with! Don't get that job hopper mentality. Thats just my 2 cents!
I've never worked for TMC, and don't have any meaningful opinion of them. I agree with your attitude though. I've just been through a layoff, and trying to find a new home. It took me a long time to find somewhere I thought I might be able to stick with. I may not hang around, but it's looking like I probably will.

Trucking companies are a lot like spouses. You can't have everything unless you just happen to get extremely lucky. Maybe you're married to a good woman who loves you dearly, and only has eyes for you, but her butt is way too big, and her cooking sucks. Do you go through all the misery of divorce to chase after the woman who cooks great and has a nice butt?

A lot of guys do, and a lot of guys go broke paying alimony too. I almost did myself, but I came around, and am better off for it.

I'm not saying there are no bad marriages, because sure there are, and I'm not saying there are no bad companies either. I'm just saying any job, even the very first, should be viewed as a sort of marriage. You should try to find something that's going to work over the long haul, and you should avoid the job hopper mentality. If you know you're just going with Company X to bide your time until a real opportunity comes along, maybe you should sit back and reconsider, before you get stuck with alimony payments.
Very well explained, thanks
Old 07-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I agree I was in control. But also realize if you don't pull an all-nighter and fudge your logs at TMC you won't make a descent paycheck.

If I can't bring home a minimum of $1,000 a week by working legal then I will do something else.

For now I am achieving those goals so I am content.

Dollar,

I guess some things have changed since you were here! If you are fudging logs here now, they will and have shut drivers down. They are very serious about keeping things legal. If you chose to run like an outlaw, you will be treated as an outlaw.

As far as your experience and others, as stated before on the TMC thread and many others, trucking is what you make of it. No matter what fleet you go with, they each have there issues. You made the decision that OTR was not for you, so be it, that is you legitamate choice. As you stated, you looked at TMC as a stepping stone, then that only reflects on you as a person, not the fleet as a whole. I am sure that some time in the near future (that is if you are even driving a truck now), that someone with your current carrier is going to get on you bad side, and you will jump jobs again.

Many drivers that were used to the old way of doing things do not want to change, and except the new (correct) way of doing things. If you have a bad FM, then request a change! If you are not making good revenue to the truck for whatever reason, then request a sit down with the team leader and FM, to find the problem. If your percentage is down, well, from what I have seen, that only reflects on you.

As for Fred, he made the same choice I made a couple of years ago when I came off the road from Stevens. The choice overall did not reflect on the company, but a NEED to be close to home, to accomplish personal goals. Now that those are done, I can resume with an OTR career and WILL succeed. Most Linehaul drivers I have spoke with here are averaging $800 a week easy, and home most weekends for at least 34 to 48 hours depending on your location and the load on your back. and the longhaul drivers are doing even better. My first load, that I pick up tommorow morning pays me over $400 for a 800 mile trip, plus 3 days at home. And that just starts the week.

Anyway, enough for now! A Happy 4th to ALL, and Happy trucking.
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 07-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Matt:

OH, almost forgot. Some of us like to stay in shape, instead of sitting on our fat butts , which throwing tarps, straps and chains do quite well. This was another incentive for me going flatbed instead of reefer when making the decision to come back on the road.

Have a nice day.
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 07-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryhorseman
Quote:
Matt:

OH, almost forgot. Some of us like to stay in shape, instead of sitting on our fat butts , which throwing tarps, straps and chains do quite well. This was another incentive for me going flatbed instead of reefer when making the decision to come back on the road.

Have a nice day.

Yes, but I would rather work smart than hard. I will be thinking of you the next time I walk to the back of the trailer and close my doors. :lol:

Yeah, but I would rather work smart than hard. I will be thinking you the next time I walk to the back of the trailer and close my doors. :lol:
Old 07-05-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by larz0142
I would love to get with TMC but I live south of I-10..So I can't..Got to move to Live Oak..
Who told you you couldn't work for TMC because you live South of I-10? The is absolutly incorrect. You might have to go Long Haul depending on where you live. You say South of I-10, do you by chance live along the I-35 corridor. If you do, you can go Line Haul. Verify this with recruiting, but that is what the Hiring Area Map shows.

I called the recruiters for TMC and was told till I have 3mons exp. for TMC it's a no go...
Old 07-06-2007, 03:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I would love to get with TMC but I live south of I-10..So I can't..Got to move to Live Oak..
Who told you you couldn't work for TMC because you live South of I-10? The is absolutly incorrect. You might have to go Long Haul depending on where you live. You say South of I-10, do you by chance live along the I-35 corridor. If you do, you can go Line Haul. Verify this with recruiting, but that is what the Hiring Area Map shows.

I called the recruiters for TMC and was told till I have 3mons exp. for TMC it's a no go...
Unless you are not tell the complete story here, you were told wrong. TMC takes new drivers with no experience right out of CDL school. They will even sponser you at a few select schools. Call Matt or Rebecca in recruiting for new drivers.