User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwervynMervyn
Why does he have to sell you on JB if your current company is so great?

Or is it??????????
Because that's what he does. He's a recruiter. Obviously you've missed my point.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Quote:
Originally Posted by continental
OK, Sheepdancer, sell me on JB Hunt.
First of all, list all the things that JB wants me to do for free.
(Fueling, pretrip, etc. and it adds up!)
After that, explain why I should do it.
Why should I accept a local job paying by the mile?
Why should I assume a large companie's losses? Such as sitting in traffic, making $2/hr, etc. Also, please do stop me if I'm being unreasonable!
Oh, and DON'T say all companies like that. Mine isn't.
I know there are a lot of ok paying hourly jobs out there....My Pizza delivery guy says he loves his job.

I know where you are coming from....why would anyone want to do things like that for free? Just the other day I was complaining to a co-worker that I dont get extra pay when I take the stairs instead of the elevator. And get this...we had an important customer coming up here to tour corporate a few days ago...and I actually had to pick up a peice of paper off the ground and throw it away! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? NO SORT OF "PICKING UP A PIECE OF PAPER PAY AT ALL"!!!! I tell you....we need a recruiters union.
So, do you have to pick up that paper day after day after day?
If you want my time, buy it. As long as we're willing to give our time for
free, everybody is going to waste it. Loads would be much more organised, shippers and receivers would be prompt if they had to pay for our time. To all of you that defend JB and the other blood suckers,
GOOD FOR YOU! That is the exact treatment you deserve! :sad:
Old 07-07-2007, 08:16 PM

I don't believe you have a point continental.

I know Sheepdancer is a recruiter. If you consider his company a bloodsucker, why would you want him to recruit you. And if he knows that's how you feel in the first place, why would he waste his time.

Why don't you give us the name of your great company, a recruiter to talk to, a list of tasks that are required to perform besides driving, and what these tasks each pay.

Don't forget to include your driver number so you are sure to get the bonus when someone jumps on board to your great company.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:31 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
I don't believe you have a point continental.

I know Sheepdancer is a recruiter. If you consider his company a bloodsucker, why would you want him to recruit you. And if he knows that's how you feel in the first place, why would he waste his time.

Why don't you give us the name of your great company, a recruiter to talk to, a list of tasks that are required to perform besides driving, and what these tasks each pay.

Don't forget to include your driver number so you are sure to get the bonus when someone jumps on board to your great company.
First of all, you tell JB to stop calling me, stop sending me post cards.
My great company's name is Keeler Transport, and we don't have recruiters.
No driver numbers either. We're not being treated like live stock.
I'm delivering prefabricated concrete panels to constructions,
and I get paid for everything I do.
No recruiting bonus or other BS either.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluggy619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullitor
J.B.Hunt is the same as any other large carrier. 8)
Do you mean the other big carriers have recruiters who don't like picking up the trash? Oh NO, NOT PAPER!!! :cry:
:lol: I have to give you props on that reply Cluggy. I got a good laugh from it.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
know where you are coming from....why would anyone want to do things like that for free? Just the other day I was complaining to a co-worker that I dont get extra pay when I take the stairs instead of the elevator. And get this...we had an important customer coming up here to tour corporate a few days ago...and I actually had to pick up a peice of paper off the ground and throw it away! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? NO SORT OF "PICKING UP A PIECE OF PAPER PAY AT ALL"!!!! I tell you....we need a recruiters union.
And I bet at night, you rolled out a sleeping bag and took your mandated 10-hour DOT break under your desk? No shower so you had to use moist towelletes to substitute for bathing. To save money, the company turned off the A/C which meant you had to lay there in a pool of sweat trying to catch some shuteye. Then you had to call your wife on the phone to tell her you missed her.

You have no idea what a driver goes through to earn his/her daily bread. These are some of the most overworked, underpaid blue-collar men and women in America. And companies like JB Hunt get all the "for-free" out of em' they can. Why do you think JB Hunt has so many so-called "local" jobs? It's because they rate-cutted alot of good-paying regional/private fleets out of business. It would be ok if it were honest free enterprise, and people finding cheaper and better ways to do things. Trouble is, that's not it at all. It comes down to JB Hunt finding cheaper ways to do things by taking advantage of the lack of federal labor laws in trucking.

One of your ilk was out canvassing the Pilot I stop at for lunch last week. Knocking on doors and sleepers...messing with hard-working truckdrivers minding their own business. He saw my truck and walked right on by, tho. Didn't even bother with his cheap shoe-salesman spiel. Why? Because he knew I'd laugh in his face if he mentioned the words “JB Hunt”.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:18 PM

For some of you guys that claim to have great jobs at great companies, you sure seem to have a burr up your a$$

When I drove for Schneider, I don't remember anyone making me sleep in a pool of sweat.

Maybe you will do some things that appear they are for free, but if you get your miles, the pay is a decent living.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Maybe you will do some things that appear they are for free, but if you get your miles, the pay is a decent living.
You just don't get it.

Let's say Driver A works for Schneider earning .37 cpm off HHG mileage. He averages 2700 paid miles per week (he must actually drive 2970 due to HHG 10% screwing). His paychecks average about $1,000 on the gross.

Driver B on the other hand works for that rare carrier which values his services and his time. He only gets .33 cpm, averages 2300 miles per week but his company pays him for all of his labor/time:

$5.00 to pre-trip
$5.00 to fuel
$5.00 to scale
$5.00 to sweep a trailer
Paid for ALL dock time at $15.00/hour
Paid for all mileage off the hub
Paid $10.00 for every drop-hook
Any delays/waiting/traffic/etc = $15.00/hour
Paid $8.00/hour for 10-hour DOT sleeper berth time.

Driver B's gross mileage pay = $759.00.
7 pre-trips per week = $35.00
3 fuel stops = $15.00
2 scales = $10.00
1 trailer sweep = $5.00
4 drop/hooks = $40.00
1 hours stuck in traffic = $15.00
2 hours waiting on a load because of slow freight = $30.00
7 ten-hour DOT breaks = $560
5 hours of dock-time = $75.00

Driver A grossed $1100 that week while Driver B grossed $1544 running 670 LESS miles than Driver A.

Driver B has no need to fudge his logbook because doing so would screw him out of alot of good accessory pay. Driver A must "work" the book because he needs to keep off lines 3 & 4 as much as possible in order to run more miles.

Driver A's company = Schneider, JB Hunt, Swift, Heartland, US Xpress, Werner, TMC, Maverick and so many other $hit-bag outfits that screw their drivers out of time/labor. :roll: :roll:
Old 07-09-2007, 03:48 AM
Senior Board Member

yawwwnnnnn

So, lets do what CFM says. Lets all quit OTR and magically make 1 million LTL jobs appear. Excellent plan.

We all know LTL is better than OTR. I knew it before you started beating us over the head with your broken record posts. The greatness of LTL does not change the fact that OTR is needed within the industry and your condescending posts about OTR do nothing.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:
You just don't get it.

Let's say Driver A works for Schneider earning .37 cpm off HHG mileage. He averages 2700 paid miles per week (he must actually drive 2970 due to HHG 10% screwing). His paychecks average about $1,000 on the gross.

Driver B on the other hand works for that rare carrier which values his services and his time. He only gets .33 cpm, averages 2300 miles per week but his company pays him for all of his labor/time:

$5.00 to pre-trip
$5.00 to fuel
$5.00 to scale
$5.00 to sweep a trailer
Paid for ALL dock time at $15.00/hour
Paid for all mileage off the hub
Paid $10.00 for every drop-hook
Any delays/waiting/traffic/etc = $15.00/hour
Paid $8.00/hour for 10-hour DOT sleeper berth time.

Driver B's gross mileage pay = $759.00.
7 pre-trips per week = $35.00
3 fuel stops = $15.00
2 scales = $10.00
1 trailer sweep = $5.00
4 drop/hooks = $40.00
1 hours stuck in traffic = $15.00
2 hours waiting on a load because of slow freight = $30.00
7 ten-hour DOT breaks = $560
5 hours of dock-time = $75.00

Driver A grossed $1100 that week while Driver B grossed $1544 running 670 LESS miles than Driver A.

Driver B has no need to fudge his logbook because doing so would screw him out of alot of good accessory pay. Driver A must "work" the book because he needs to keep off lines 3 & 4 as much as possible in order to run more miles.

Driver A's company = Schneider, JB Hunt, Swift, Heartland, US Xpress, Werner, TMC, Maverick and so many other $hit-bag outfits that screw their drivers out of time/labor. :roll: :roll:
What would be an example of driver B's company? If you get paid by the hour would be one thing, but you said getting paid by the (hub) mile. Tanker would be a decent example, followed by ltl as far as getting paid for everthing, but I don't know of a company that pays for everything . I am in flatbed, and after I get loaded, I have to spend spend usually between 15 min to an hour get it secured, which I don't get paid for. And a then take it back off before I can get unloaded. I don't get paid anything for this, but I get a couple more cpm at this company than the other companies which would hire me when I started (I had several choices), so I don't feel like I am getting ripped off there. But it would be nice to get paid for all of that and the other things that you said.