User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Failure in a lease programs.....

Maybe someone here can clear this up for me. Why would anyone lease with a company, and not put their truck to work when the company doesn't?

Is there a clause in the contract preventing you from doing this?

If a company fails to give you the miles, wouldn't you find loads yourself anyways, even if it's not with the company?

Isn't there a board where you can minimize the deadheading, or time waiting?

How about a minimum miles per week clause that the company has to provide?

I ask these questions because everytime someone trys a least program out, they fail at it. I know if I was paying for a truck thru one of these programs, it would be making me money. Whether the company profitted by it or not.

But that just me. Any info?

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
'

Old 06-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Board Regular

Your a propriatary entity to that company when you lease to them.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Default Re: Failure in a lease programs.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cluggy619
Maybe someone here can clear this up for me. Why would anyone lease with a company, and not put their truck to work when the company doesn't?

Is there a clause in the contract preventing you from doing this?

If a company fails to give you the miles, wouldn't you find loads yourself anyways, even if it's not with the company?

Isn't there a board where you can minimize the deadheading, or time waiting?

How about a minimum miles per week clause that the company has to provide?

I ask these questions because everytime someone trys a least program out, they fail at it. I know if I was paying for a truck thru one of these programs, it would be making me money. Whether the company profitted by it or not.

But that just me. Any info?
You also are hauling THEIR trailer WHICH means you can't use it for hauling someone else's freight.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Senior Board Member

The only way would be if there is a clause in your contract with your carrier where any freight you find from outside sources (brokers etc) is booked under their authority and you/they have worked out a % of the load fee that they receive for this. I don't think there are a lot of companies that offer this as it is most likely a pain for them.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm sorry....maybe I'm not getting this...

My money pays for the lease.

My money pays for the fuel.

My money pays for other things like insurance thru them, maintnance fee, etc.

Yes, it may be their trailer hooked up to the tractor, but it's my money paying for that tractor.

Why is it I must suffer with low pay again? Because it's their company that tricked thousands of drivers to sign on, then not put them to work?

Nobody signs on a lease program thinking they are going to be waiting in a truckstop for a load...usually, the company has promised that they would be taken care of.

And lets face it. Their are loads out there that can be paid under the table, can't they?

I'm all for doing the right thing, but when a company puts the screws to ya, you do what you can to survive, right?

'

Old 06-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Failure in a lease programs.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver67373
You also are hauling THEIR trailer WHICH means you can't use it for hauling someone else's freight.
And why not? If your company is not giving you the loads, why not use their trailer? Or better yet, unhook their trailer, and haul someone elses.

This is a dog eat dog world, and I'm not starving because some punk kid dispatcher only making $9/hour, deciding why should you make more than he is. This is every drivers problem.

But a lease program is different. You PAY for the priviledge of getting top miles. You pay out of your pocket to drive their truck, and these punks rather you sit. To me, that BS. You better believe if I'm paying for the truck, it's going to make me money, contract or no. Am I right?

'

Old 06-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Ok how about this.

It is illegal to haul freight under some one else's authority that is not authorized by the person or company that holds that operating authority.

It is also considered theft to use someone's property without their permission, and if you go and get a load on your own and use the company's trailer to do it you do not have their permission and therefore it can be considered theft.

Finally it is usually written into the LP agreement and/or the operating lease that states you can not haul freight using the company equipment that the company has not obtained.

Then add to it that there is usually a clause in the LP contract that says that you may not lease the truck to another carrier until the truck is paid in full, or something of that nature.

When you take the sum of all of this it is why so many of us say it is really stupid to finance your truck from the same people who control your freight.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Ok how about this.

It is illegal to haul freight under some one else's authority that is not authorized by the person or company that holds that operating authority.

It is also considered theft to use someone's property without their permission, and if you go and get a load on your own and use the company's trailer to do it you do not have their permission and therefore it can be considered theft.

Finally it is usually written into the LP agreement and/or the operating lease that states you can not haul freight using the company equipment that the company has not obtained.

Then add to it that there is usually a clause in the LP contract that says that you may not lease the truck to another carrier until the truck is paid in full, or something of that nature.

When you take the sum of all of this it is why so many of us say it is really stupid to finance your truck from the same people who control your freight.
I answer the last statement first. I agree, and after reading the failed messages on this board, would never sign a lease porgram with any company.

As to the rest, pleast list where these laws are written, then we are done with this thread.

'

Old 06-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Nuff said....

Other than that, you need to ask the carrier if they have a special provision that allows that...

I'll wiat for "Mr FMCSA regs" (the good Rev) to find the paragraphs that pertain to this. I would assume that would apply as well to an O/O leased on.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:52 PM
Board Icon

My question is, why would a company intentionally keep you from getting miles?? If your not making money, they aren't making money either if your sitting all the time. If your sitting, that means you have very little money to pay them for the lease which means they are losing money. Yes it could be the dispatchers fault so change dispatchers. If that doesn't fix it, maybe it's you. Are you turning down loads?? Sometimes it is the entire company that is the problem. Don't always believe that they are keeping you from getting good miles on purpose, that would be bad business on their part and is just plain stupid.