User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default strongly considering career change

I am currently looking into various companies to consider a career change. I am really nervous about this because I know alot of companies will jump at the idea of applying with them and actually have applied to a couple. I told them I will call back when I decide the exact time I am wanting to go through schooling.... The problem I have is I have to make sure what I will make during school, training and minimum pay is weekly.. The reason is; I am currently working 2 jobs, 7 days a week on one delivering AJC with no days off unless without pay and the other is substituting for the post office delivering mail for the past 5 years. Right now I see myself in the same position in the next 5 years and is getting tired of it. I don't know what it would be like to not have to go into work at night even if its just one night and I also don't know what it is like to not have to be available for call in at all times.... I have nothing criminal in past and was in the military at one time. The last ticket I had was in 94.... KNOCK ON WOOD......before that was 89 and thats it. no accidents....
I have looked into swift, schneider, crst, cfi , shepard/watkins . but I have to make sure I am not ending up with less than what I have now. I bring home minimum 500/wk but blow about 150/wk gas. not to mention put 100 miles a day on the car and wear and tear on the van for the mail. I do have 2 kids 9& 10 and I understand that they will miss me but I feel like I am constantly taking my 2hrs naps when I am home anyway I think I would have more time with them if I actually have days off even though its after 2-3 weeks....
Old 06-18-2007, 08:25 PM
Rookie

It always depends on what company you go to. If I was you I would go to a company that had it's own school. I went to a private school and Covenant said they would pay it off but I barely made enough to survive let alone pay off the school. Don't go to Covenant! I've heard bad things about CRST also. When you first start out, most companies don't give you that much money or high miles but eventually you can make a good living. I was making at least 2000.00 a month(3 yrs exper) when I quit but I was running my a** off too.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Board Regular

Hire on with CFI, you won't regret it.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:02 AM
Rookie

Well what's CFI like? I'm looking into companies right now too.
What do you like about CFI?
Old 06-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakelady78
He likes the referral bonuses , that's why he posts here . Ask Skywalker for any significant info on CFI , he will be able to enlighten you better .

They aren't a bad compnay from what I've heard other then there high volume of northeast freight and lousy hometime .
Old 06-20-2007, 08:44 PM
Rookie

Thanx. Actually I'm from CT so high volume NE isn't a bad thing to me.
I had heard that CFI was deserately trying to hire more people and offering good bonuses. Sometimes that turns out to be a bad thing and there's no miles to run, so I haven't called them yet but Maybe I'll call and see.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakelady78
He likes the referral bonuses , that's why he posts here . Ask Skywalker for any significant info on CFI , he will be able to enlighten you better .
So how much is their referral bonus? Ours is $1,000 a head, which is pretty damn cool. But I can't get anybody interested in coming over here, and I'm not a pushy salesman type who would put someone else's interest above his own in order to obtain personal profit.

I guess that's why I don't make $100,000 a year selling used cars, and instead, I just make an honest living hauling freight, and trying not to be late.