User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
Its a good job if you have 5 years seniority but its hard getting there.
The reason it takes so long to move up at a good-paying LTL carrier is that nobody quits those jobs once they get a nice run and bid time.

That's why I always tell guys and gals in their 20's and 30's to apply there and get in while they're young and in good shape and thier bills are low. Once you start gettinng into your 40's, it gets harder and harder to be the FNG. And your back, knees, and joints will throw a hissy fit at you. :lol:
Old 06-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Once you start gettinng into your 40's, it gets harder and harder to be the FNG.
Ain't that the truth!
Old 06-17-2007, 10:38 PM
Rookie
Default Reply

Im from Youngstown,Ohio & the conway is in Lordstown & UPS freight(Overnite) is in Masury right out side of Youngstown & its a fulltime Dock w/CDL
Old 06-18-2007, 06:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Both are good companies.

There are some trade offs, Con-Way has slightly better bennies (for now at least) while UPSF pays a bit more and you will top out sooner in 2yrs vs 5 at Con-Way.

Snowmans description of the extra board odyssey as Con-Way is spot on.
I got lucky and only had to endure it for about about 3 months until someone with a dock bid left for FedEx Freight and I got his bid. It took the other guy who hired on with me for dock-to-driver about 8 months to get a road bid.

Here on the Left Coast we also throw chaining and going over Donner twice a night into the mix. Our bottom of the extra board turnover is huge in the winter. Folks get sick of 14-16hr days and running out of hrs coming home fast. We actually take bets a la "Shawshank Redemption" which of the n00bs will drop 1st. :twisted:

The plus side to not having a wall between road and city like most every other LTL is once you have some strap you can go back in forth between the two worlds. Having a "Hog Board" can be good:Need earn some big $ for the down on a house? Bid Line. Want more family time bid City or AM dock! Kids in college, go back to the road. Several of the guys in the top 20% of seniority like to jump back and forth as bids open through the year.

BOL and feel free to PM me if you have any ?s