User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Maverick Specialized Division Newbie Diary

I am keeping this diary in hopes it will help newbies going to work for Maverick Specialized Division on what to expect.
I have no cdl or never even been in a truck.
I left Fayetteville, Nc Monday morning headed for Laurinburg, Nc to the Maverick terminal for DOT drug test and physical. I do have diabetes type 2 & high blood pressure controlled with medication cannot be on insulin. Blood pressure ia a big thing they had to send one guy back to Dallas, Tx because of his blood pressure. Also had to do an agility test which constisted of lifting a box with weights in it, stair steps, stretching exercises. After passing this part you go outside. They see if you can climb in truck cab, then you climb on and off trailer. They then make you lift a tarp and put in on the trailer it weighs about 60 lbs. Then you have to climb a ladder and put the tarp on top of the glass, then you have to wlak across the top of the glass. All of this is done while wearing a heart monitor for pulse rate.
If you pass this they send you to Cross Coutry Driving School in Thomasville, Nc Near High Point, Nc
Old 05-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Rookie

After completeing all that stuff in Laurinburg I was off to Thomasville, Nc
Got there about 5:00 PM. They went ahead and put me up in the bunk house. Tuesday morning at 7:45 went to office and signed up for school.
First thing I had to was go get another drug test they pay for that. When I got back sent me to the yard. There I watched some students do pretrip inspections and straight line 45 and 90 degrees backing. Wenesday and Thursday done the same thing except they put me in truck to do straight line backing. I gained a new respect for truckers after that.
The classroom part starts Monday. The school week is Mon - Thur 8:00 to 5:30 They are thinking about makeing it 5 days. I was back home home Thursday about 8:00 PM.
pretty cool so far. I will start again Monday if ok with everyone

Thanks jimmyp
Old 05-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyP
...I have no cdl or never even been in a truck....
Alright! :rock:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyP
...There I watched some students do pretrip inspections and straight line 45 and 90 degrees backing. Wenesday and Thursday done the same thing except they put me in truck to do straight line backing. I gained a new respect for truckers after that.
Most do. Snap! The DOT should require all 4-wheelers renewing they're license to backup a semi in a straight line! :lol: :twisted: :lol:

The party really starts when you do a blind-sided 87.5 degree manuever. :shock: Ask your instructor about that one! Oh boy!

Alright there ain't such a manuever but there should be!

Have fun!
Old 06-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Rookie
Default Update

I am finally getting time to update my diary.
There has been a lot going on in the last two weeks. I have passed the classroom part of the training. I have got my CDL learners permit. The classroom time seemed to go pretty slow. I hope I never have to a complex log again that took awhile. Since the classroom ended i have been in yard doing Straight line, 45,90 degree backing, also blind side backing. That is not as easy as it looks. I have doing pretrips also thats not to hard. Finally this Thursday I got to drive for 1.5 hours. Down shifting is not easy. Next week I drive about 15 hours cannot wait. This is finally getting fun. Once I got over the fear of how big the tractor and trailer was. That is an awesome fealing. Will update again later.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Board Regular

Hang in there JimmyP! I know that for me it felt like i was guiding a football feild down the highway when I first started. After a couple of weeks, the truck will start feeling a bit smaller. Within a month or so after your out on your own, you'll be somewhat used to it.

It's your personal vehicle that will scare you after that! I swear, everytime I drive my pickup now, I have to get out and check the tires. It feels like I'm driving on 4 flat tires! Everything is just too small! LOL
Old 06-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Rookie

Thanks arky you are right every time I get behind the wheel it does seem to get better. This week I pulled a tanker, flatbed, and a reefer. The reefer was the hardest it seemed to be a lot heavier which caused me some problems
Tuesday night done 3 hours of night driving that was ok. I did learn one thing
some people are not cut out to drive trucks one guy that was driving scared everybody to death when we stopped at a rest stop I got out and kissed the ground. I sure hope he does not pass the school. if he does someone may get killed. I will not ride with him again. Found out later he has over 200 hours in school god help us all. Wednesday The day went pretty well UNTIL
I got stuck on a hill I had to stop completely on the hill could not find any gears. when I did find one it was reverse. Finally I found 1st gear. Took off couldn't find 2nd. Had to start over again by this time traffic was getting backed up behind me. I finally got it going. I thought I could drive pretty good until that happend. When we got back back to the yard I could not back up. Just went blank. I was so frustrated I just got out of the truck and let someone back it up. I hope I never have a another day like this again. Thursday I had a great day everything went fine. I guess you will have bad days. Next Wednesday is test day if I can make it through that day I will graduate. Then I am off to Maverick. What ever happens I want to thank all my classmates and trainers for all their help. My classmates are great people. I know they all well be a great asset to whom ever they drive for.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Board Regular

Jimmy, it sounds like the typical driving school experience alright! There was a guy in our class that everyone was praying he would fail. One of the driving instructors actually popped the air brakes on this guy in the middle of the road to keep him from wrecking. I'm sure he probably did fail, but don't know. The day of the final testing, I did my deal and went to the house.

As for the shifting, I got close to the point of loosing it completely and having to come to a stop, but never actually missed it. One of the guys I rode with did though. We were on a VERY steep incline and he just couldn't keep up with the downshifts.

That was an amazing little hill. It is right at the edge of nothing but rowcrop land for miles and miles. The instructor took us out through the country and the bean fields etc. Just as we were coming to a curve in the road, he starts instructing the student driver on what to do in the event you miss a gear on a hill. Then he kept emphasizing that WHATEVER you do, do not let the truck roll backwards! I'm thinking....there is something baaaaaaddddd around this curve! Sure enough, that little hill wasn't more than 3/4 mile from bottom to top and the truck we were using was pulling an empty trailer, so you would think it would pull about anything. I think this guy was down to either 4th or 5th gear when he missed it and stalled the truck...probably 2/3 of the way up this little hill. That's how steep that little hill is. I don't live too far away from the school (50 miles). One day, I'll get a chance to take a drive back down through that area and drive over that little hill again. I just want to see if it looks that steep in a 4 wheeler.

Don't worry about the shifting, it just takes time. I found that the more I could relax, the better my shifting was. Once you get to Maverick, you can keep your elbows on the armrest anyways! LOL

Have a good one!

Arky
Old 06-27-2007, 12:54 AM

Hi Jimmy. I went through the same school you did. had fun, learned lots, then I just knew I'd forget half of what they taught us!...lol This is my 4th week with Maverick Specialized. Hauled alot of glass to Canada and other places, but you'll also find that once your trailer is empty, they'll put you on a load of hay, water chiller tanks, something to backhaul.

Hang in there, and soak everything in that you can!

Tinbender

Hey ARKY! Where's my steak!?!...lol
just kidding pal
Old 06-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Rookie

Hi tinbinder your are right they are a great bunch of people. I graduated Wednesday. I am going to Maverick for orientation this Sunday July 1st. Then I think I start glass training. I'll see you at Maverick.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:40 AM
Senior Board Member

JimmyP--CONGRATS on getting your CDL! 8)