User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Watkins-Shepard

I would like to find out more about Watkins and Shepard as they offer company training for four weeks and upon graduation they assign you a truck to go solo. They claim that their four week training program eliminates the need to go out for weeks with a trainer.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:29 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: Watkins-Shepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad M
I would like to find out more about Watkins and Shepard as they offer company training for four weeks and upon graduation they assign you a truck to go solo. They claim that their four week training program eliminates the need to go out for weeks with a trainer.
Yes. and they need ppl on the flatbed side.

You know, if you are deciding between WS and Gordon. If you live on I-5 corridor, you'll get home more often with Gordon.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:52 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Where's "crackaces"?
Old 05-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Default Parking when time at home

I talked with a recruiter for Watkins-Shepard about parking the tractor and trailer when I had time at home. She said I would have to park it at their operations center in Vancouver, WA 120 miles from where I live in Eugene, OR and drive my car home. I don't know why they wouldn't let me park at the TA Truck Stop 5 miles from where I live off of I-5 for two days off, it is a secure location.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:46 PM
Default Re: Parking when time at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad M
I talked with a recruiter for Watkins-Shepard about parking the tractor and trailer when I had time at home. She said I would have to park it at their operations center in Vancouver, WA 120 miles from where I live in Eugene, OR and drive my car home. I don't know why they wouldn't let me park at the TA Truck Stop 5 miles from where I live off of I-5 for two days off, it is a secure location.
Dont know what it is about trucking companys but any company I worked for dont want you parking the truck at a truck stop when on home time,not all truckers live in the country with 50 acres I live in the city so truck stops were my only option and they were a ways away.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:58 AM
Board Regular

I drove for W/S back in 2000. Yes they provide training and it IS a good school (already had my license when hired). They teach you how to run the mountains with confidence. Also, the other drivers are more of a family than other companies, alot of us ran together all the time. As far as taking the truck home....when I lived in Tacoma, Wa. I had to park at the Renton yard, when I moved to the midwest.....I had no choice and parked at a truckstop right down the road......closest yard was 15 hours away and I WASN'T going to drive it. They want the trucks parked in one of their yards for security. The flatbed division is the best one there.....just remember, if you arn't under a load by 3 pm on friday.....your sitting for the weekend. Thats how they dispatch.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:08 PM

I’m a new W/S driver, here’s my 2 cents. I came from Sage and had the W/S 10 day orientation, then it was out on the road in my own truck. I also shared some training time with the “30 day students” they all seemed well trained and happy with their time in W/S company training. There is plenty of opportunity to practice your backing as they allow you access, even on your own time, to trucks/trailers (in the yard only) In my first week I’ve logged 3100 miles on 3 trips and have found the drivers who work here to be very helpful and willing to talk to the new guy and offer any advise or assistance. One other thing that stuck out for me was that most of the drivers I spoke with have many years with this company, it’s very common to hear drivers say they have 5, 7 or more years at W/S
As for parking the truck on home time, well they say they want the truck at a terminal…if you’re routed home and there’s a safe place to park and the closest terminal is 100 miles out of route, wouldn’t it make more sense to stay “in route” with the truck? I guess what I’m saying is that if you live too far out of route, taking the truck home may be an issue, but if you live reasonably close to the lane of traffic…:wink:
So far I give W/S the “thumbs up”
Old 05-30-2007, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottsATruckin
I’m a new W/S driver, here’s my 2 cents. I came from Sage and had the W/S 10 day orientation, then it was out on the road in my own truck. I also shared some training time with the “30 day students” they all seemed well trained and happy with their time in W/S company training. There is plenty of opportunity to practice your backing as they allow you access, even on your own time, to trucks/trailers (in the yard only) In my first week I’ve logged 3100 miles on 3 trips and have found the drivers who work here to be very helpful and willing to talk to the new guy and offer any advise or assistance. One other thing that stuck out for me was that most of the drivers I spoke with have many years with this company, it’s very common to hear drivers say they have 5, 7 or more years at W/S
As for parking the truck on home time, well they say they want the truck at a terminal…if you’re routed home and there’s a safe place to park and the closest terminal is 100 miles out of route, wouldn’t it make more sense to stay “in route” with the truck? I guess what I’m saying is that if you live too far out of route, taking the truck home may be an issue, but if you live reasonably close to the lane of traffic…:wink:
So far I give W/S the “thumbs up”
Is Sage in Montana the company the W/S uses for their student training? Also, what type of housing do they provide at Sage and finally, are you driving a dry van and what area are you covering.

Brad
Old 06-01-2007, 08:27 PM

Sage is a truck driving school that has classrooms nationwide, and is considered to be one of the best in the industry. W/S does offer their own in house cdl school, I think you’re able to work off the tuition, they do have tuition reimbursement which is something I’m taking advantage of myself. They have facilities at their Missoula terminal for lodging, weather you’re a “10 day orientation” (like me) or a “30 day student” there is no charge for lodging but food is up to you. They do have cars for you to use to get to the store for any supplies that you may need.
Currently I’m driving a van but am eligible for flatbeds after 90 days, W/S does not haul refers, I’ve spent most of my time in the Western states but if you desire the East they will gladly route you there as they do have several runs from GA/NJ/OH. The majority of freight is carpet, furniture, paper and liquid beverages, most is no touch or drop/hook. Trucks are late model Freightliners and Volvos.
I was dispatched a load to my home town, when I got here I asked my dispatcher for a couple days off, his reply “no problem, call me in a couple of days when you’re ready to go back out” I’m liking it here.
Feel free to PM me if you need any specific details.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Board Regular
Default Watkins & Shepard

RottsATruckin...

I thank you for your post, You have only re-enforced my plan to go with W/S. I'm currently in school and working with Bonnie (recruiter) to come over after I have graduated at the end of this month. I'll be doing the 10day training without pay until approved. Then I'll be given the keys and sent home with a truck to outfit it the way I would like.

Brad M,
I have only seen one negative posts on here about W/S and I have been looking into them since Oct 06. I asked about taking the truck home and was told that if I lived within the 100 miles it wouldn't be a problem.

Good luck and maybe I'll see you both in a red truck.

Paul