User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 04:12 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Maverick questions

Got a few things that have come up since hubby has been driving (not for mav) that we were wondering about maverick if somebody driving for them wouldn't mind answering.

It may be a stupid question as we're new to flatbedding as a whole, but do they use lumpers? If so how are they paid?

Also, how does Maverick handle basic maintenance supplies for the truck ( i.e oil, windshield wiper fluid, etc..)?

We know the trucks are governed at 70 but what speed are you allowed to average without getting a logbook violation? (for example current company will issue a "speeding violation" for anything over 65 average speed for the day).

Also, I'm supposed to know but are they forced dispatch or forced route?

Lastly, how do the handle the tolls that are not covered in pre pass? Are tolls ever covered out of pocket then reimbursed?

Thanks!
Old 05-11-2007, 05:21 AM
Board Regular

1. As far as I know, there is no such thing as lumpers with flatbeds.

2. All maintenance supplies can be charged to the company when you buy fuel. All you have to do is have them add it to the bill. If you do buy something out of pocket, they will reimburse you for it. I've never had a single problem with any of this. Maverick is very good about making sure you get whatever money is coming to you.

3. As far as I know, they don't check the logs for speeding, but I've never tried logging over 65 mph...at least not for the whole day.

4. Maverick is forced dispatch, but not forced route. They ask you to keep the oit of route below 10%, but they don't even give you routing unless you ask for it. If you want to see their routing, all you have to do is send in a message on the q-com.

5. My EZpass/Pikepass/etc., etc. seems to cover all the states that I travel in except IN and OH. We have toll cards for those 2 states. In the event that you did have to pay for a toll somewhere, it is definitely reimbursed as soon as you send in the receipt.

Hope this helps!

Arky
Old 05-11-2007, 02:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks!! Thats very helpful
Old 05-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Senior Board Member

There is such a thing as lumpers for flatbeds, but it is such a rare occurance that you could easily pull flatbeds for 20 years or more an never come upon a situation where you would have to hire one. Probably 99.99% (or more) of flatbed loads will not require a driver to load or unload themselves or need to hire a lumper.

While I can not speak for Maverick specifically, most companies, especially those with governed trucks, have what they often call a magic number. This is the fastest that a driver can log before being given a log violation for speeding. At the companies I have worked for this number is 3-5 mph under the max speed of the truck. Of course if a company is really on the ball you can still get a log violation for logging faster than the speed limit in a given state.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:40 PM

For the time period I was with Maverick, I never had to use a lumper and there was never a need for one. Fork lift drivers will put the load on your trailer. and when you carry your load to the consignee, they have people who will remove the load. the only thing you have to do is tarp and secure the load.

As arky said, when it comes to the *needed supplies for the truck* (wiper fluid etc) when you fuel up, it will ask you if you would like an advance if you say yes or no, it will than ask you if you would like to purchase oil or other items for your truck. if you say yes, than you just sign for it when you go inside.

With maverick specialized, the average speed on their older trucks is 67 mph (these would be the old schneider tucks). I have gone down hill as fast as 85mph (whoops) when i realized what i was doing i applied the breaks and backed back down to what my truck could do. However, my trainer did complain a few times when we hit 75mph saying he would get penalized if I didnt slow down. I did not get a ticket or questioned about the speed while I was driving.

When you log in with your hour update, they will tell you where you have to go, where the load is, what the load is, and if you have to convert your trailer to flatbed or not. At which time you let them know about your safe and legal ETA. If you can not make it on time, they will contact the shipper and the consignee than they will let you know what you need to do. If you need directions you can ask for them and they will send them and you can go from there.

Tolls are paid threw pre-pass, except like arky posted, Indiana and Ohio you are given cards for. Any tolls that are paid out of the drivers pocket are quickly reimbursed. Before you even leave the main office, all of this will be explained, you will receive envelopes and other needed documents to help take care of any problems.

if you need any other help or have any further questions, please feel free to pm us or ask.

BOL to you and your husband.