User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 01:57 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Perhaps recommend me a company?

Alright, I've been searching tons here and have picked out a few I'm considering. Would love to try Crete but they won't hire me till I have a few months exp.

Completing CDL school in a couple weeks, no previous OTR experience, here's what I'm looking for:

Best pay I can get - this is the highest priority. I realize higher pay means more work, and I'm cool with that. Coming from a scrap metal gig working under the sun all day, I'd be happy to spend most of my time in the A/C of the truck. I have heard first year tales of 30k all the way to 60k. I won't see 60 'cause I can't get into TMC at 22 years old, but can I find a way, if I'm willing to bust ass, to make 45k?

Truck Mods: I have a laptop, GPS, cell phone, etc - I want these things mounted in the truck directly accessible and viewable to the driver, IE my laptop IS my gps and I need to be able to see/run it while driving. Want them jacked into the stereo system as it's got my music collection. Most companies seem to be okay with this, but CFI in particular made note that I wouldn't be able to install the stuff myself, it'd be done by their guys. Is this one of those things where they're just going to tell me "no" when I go to have it done?

Truck parking - I simply cannot get a van trailer up my driveway. I'd love to, the driveway is plenty long enough, but to many twisties and trees. I could easily fit the tractor though. I don't want to leave my car sitting in a terminal or anything like that, I'd rather just drive the truck home/the girlfriend's house when i'm off for home time. CFI told me absolutely no bobtailing. Anyone else operate that way?

Hometime - I'm concerned more with being home for a lengthy stretch (4-5 days) than getting home particularly frequently. I wouldn't mind being out 3-5 weeks I don't think, but I wouldn't be to keen on coming home for about a day and a half and then heading right back out for another month. Really, how does the whole hometime thing go and who's horrible at it, like, who should I avoid?

Type - I wanna run all 48 at least, sounds like fun, maybe canada too. I'm from central MA, i'm guessing the worst place in the nation to drive, so if I can drive here, I'm sure i can drive elsewhere. Also, do flatbed/tank/hazmat/doubles/etc. pay any more consistently? Again -want higest pay I can make and if that's in a particular type of freight then I'm cool with it.

Rider policy - If I can get chicks from my neck of the woods to kill a few weeks and go with me, I wanna do it! Ain't got the money for lot lizards but not old enough to not get a stiffy. Who's got an open policy? CFI will let me take anyone, or so they say.

Any suggestions? CFI was my first choice after carefully checking out this board, Crete and TMC were other choices but they ruled me out when I called. I have some info from arrow, and I'm looking into Roehl as well. Anyone else I should consider?
Old 05-11-2007, 05:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Where are you located?

If you goal is to earn as much $ as possible I'd go with flatbed. Keep searching, there are a lot of smaller companies out there they dont advertise as much if at all.

There is a running post on here by someone who is quite content working in the flatbed division of Swift.

On the local side you can make $16-20hr as a lumper who drives his own trailer doing food service. Look at US Foodservice, Sysco, etc. I would not suggest doing it long term as its hell on your body though.

Cold call all the LTL barns in your area. Some will hire fresh out of training depending on their needs.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Perhaps recommend me a company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acslam
Alright, I've been searching tons here and have picked out a few I'm considering. Would love to try Crete but they won't hire me till I have a few months exp.

Completing CDL school in a couple weeks, no previous OTR experience, here's what I'm looking for:

Best pay I can get - this is the highest priority. I realize higher pay means more work, and I'm cool with that. Coming from a scrap metal gig working under the sun all day, I'd be happy to spend most of my time in the A/C of the truck. I have heard first year tales of 30k all the way to 60k. I won't see 60 'cause I can't get into TMC at 22 years old, but can I find a way, if I'm willing to bust ass, to make 45k?
Forget all that crap the recruiters tell you. As a newb you wont be getting much either the CPM is low or you have to learn the ropes of the business. That is, getting more efficient at your job, means getting more miles, means getting more pay.
Truck Mods: I have a laptop, GPS, cell phone, etc - I want these things mounted in the truck directly accessible and viewable to the driver, IE my laptop IS my gps and I need to be able to see/run it while driving. Want them jacked into the stereo system as it's got my music collection. Most companies seem to be okay with this, but CFI in particular made note that I wouldn't be able to install the stuff myself, it'd be done by their guys. Is this one of those things where they're just going to tell me "no" when I go to have it done?
Well I hate to tell you that most companies have ZERO TOLERANCE on cell phone usage in the truck, and thats hands free. Try using an atlas first and finding the places the old fashioned way, with your eyes and your brain. All the GPS stuff is useful but you cant trust it more than you can trust your good sense..IE get experience
Truck parking - I simply cannot get a van trailer up my driveway. I'd love to, the driveway is plenty long enough, but to many twisties and trees. I could easily fit the tractor though. I don't want to leave my car sitting in a terminal or anything like that, I'd rather just drive the truck home/the girlfriend's house when i'm off for home time. CFI told me absolutely no bobtailing. Anyone else operate that way?
Forget about flatbedding. Most flatbed companies like TMC assign you a trailer permanently. It goes wherever you go, including home. If you live near a terminal then park it there and drive your car home. I work for Schneider and I bobtail home, park only the tractor in the driveway. I've never had to take a trailer with me.
Hometime - I'm concerned more with being home for a lengthy stretch (4-5 days) than getting home particularly frequently. I wouldn't mind being out 3-5 weeks I don't think, but I wouldn't be to keen on coming home for about a day and a half and then heading right back out for another month. Really, how does the whole hometime thing go and who's horrible at it, like, who should I avoid?
Hometime is usually based on 1 day for every week out. Schneider has a "homerun" program where you are out 2 weeks, off one week. You share a tractor with 2 other drivers who live in your area as well. You dont ride with those drivers, but you alternate its usage between the other two. Some companies probably have the same program. Personally I dont like being out for more than 2 weeks, its hard on the family and it keeps me out of the northeast being I live in Florida. Avoid CR England if you ever want to get home.
Type - I wanna run all 48 at least, sounds like fun, maybe canada too. I'm from central MA, i'm guessing the worst place in the nation to drive, so if I can drive here, I'm sure i can drive elsewhere. Also, do flatbed/tank/hazmat/doubles/etc. pay any more consistently? Again -want higest pay I can make and if that's in a particular type of freight then I'm cool with it.
Most fleets run 48 including Canada. If you like visiting the historic loading docks of the country than its the job for you. Its not a sightseeing adventure. Forget about any ideas of taking side trips to visit your favorite park or national monument. You might get the chance but you wont get paid for it either. The company pays you to deliver freight, not stop at roadside attractions. Pay comes with experience.

Rider policy - If I can get chicks from my neck of the woods to kill a few weeks and go with me, I wanna do it! Ain't got the money for lot lizards but not old enough to not get a stiffy. Who's got an open policy? CFI will let me take anyone, or so they say.
Most companies will let you take an AUTHORIZED passenger but for new driver there is usually a 90 day to 6 mo waiting period.

Any suggestions? CFI was my first choice after carefully checking out this board, Crete and TMC were other choices but they ruled me out when I called. I have some info from arrow, and I'm looking into Roehl as well. Anyone else I should consider?
Well if you are tired of working in the hot sun, then maybe you might want to avoid flatbedding, unless working in the snow is more preferable.
Schneider is probably the best for students. They are strict on safety and compliance with Fed Regs. They wont push you to run over your hours and wont push you to run when you feel conditions be it weather , health etc might jeopardize safety
Old 05-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Perhaps recommend me a company?

Quote:
:roll:
Old 05-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Rookie

Goldies, I was mostly joking. Chill. Alternatively, say something hilarious as opposed to the cop-out "faces".

I don't wanna talk on my phone in the truck - it's my data plan/aircard, so it'd just sit there working with the laptop when I would stop and set course somewhere.

I don't give a rats ass about national parks or side trips really, I'm happy enough just seeing the sights from behind the windshield. Really, without a car or something I can't imagine how I'd get around without the truck.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey Fred! Does TMC let you decide what truck you get or do they just pretty much hand you the keys to one and thats it. I know that TMC has several different types.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Goldies, I was mostly joking. Chill. Alternatively, say something hilarious as opposed to the cop-out "faces".

I don't wanna talk on my phone in the truck - it's my data plan/aircard, so it'd just sit there working with the laptop when I would stop and set course somewhere.

I don't give a rats ass about national parks or side trips really, I'm happy enough just seeing the sights from behind the windshield. Really, without a car or something I can't imagine how I'd get around without the truck.
So was I. I just LOVE that face with the rolling eyes. :roll: :roll: :lol: :P :lol:
Old 05-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman932003
Hey Fred! Does TMC let you decide what truck you get or do they just pretty much hand you the keys to one and thats it. I know that TMC has several different types.
Though it's not SAID openly. I truly believe that the better a guy scores during orientation and OTR training, the nicer the truck he will get. You can REQUEST a truck and they do take that into consideration. However I know a guy who requested a Pete 387 and since he did, he missed the chance to get a brand new Pete 379 and instead got a 2 year old 387. Both trucks were nice but I would have preferred the NEW truck over a 2 year old one.
Also making yourself "known" in a positive way to every employee of TMC you meet during training can help too. Especially if one of those people has an input on the truck you get. You'll never know WHO it is, so be cool and friendly to all. Those are my opinions and I'm on my SECOND BRAND NEW TRUCK! :wink:
Old 05-14-2007, 01:03 AM
Rookie

Okay, I get it, that's the same kinda rolling eyes face my trainers are giving me at the CDL school when I roll in monday morning tired from being with my girl all weekend! hahah.

This might be a dumb question, but are you a recruiter or driver for TMC?

Wish I could join up but I'm 22, got a few months to go so TMC is out.

I am interested in money mostly so if flatbedding is better pay then so be it. I've talked to Arrow, and only heard mention of Maverick. I live in MA. Anyone know of any good flatbed companies to start with at 22?
Old 05-15-2007, 02:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Okay, I get it, that's the same kinda rolling eyes face my trainers are giving me at the CDL school when I roll in monday morning tired from being with my girl all weekend! hahah.

This might be a dumb question, but are you a recruiter or driver for TMC?

Wish I could join up but I'm 22, got a few months to go so TMC is out.

I am interested in money mostly so if flatbedding is better pay then so be it. I've talked to Arrow, and only heard mention of Maverick. I live in MA. Anyone know of any good flatbed companies to start with at 22?
How long before you are 23?